Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ...
    If I was taxed less, I'd probably give money to beggers.

EDIT: I give money to performers though, some of them are impressive!

My experience with beggars has been strictly related to downtown Atlanta, where I used to work. Usually they approached me to bum a smoke when I was outside taking a smoke break. I usually gave in, and after a few months, I was spending close to double what I usually did on smokes due to the amount I was giving away.

The act of giving them a smoke usually caused them to believe that I would be receptive to giving more, so I'd usually get some story about their life and hard times, followed by a pitch to get some money. I politely explained to them that I didn't carry cash, especially not downtown. It was pretty rare that they took it any further than that, usually just thanked me for the smoke, and went on their way.

About six months after I talked to this one dude (and had gotten his story out of him), after I hadn't seen him for awhile, he came back up, and we went through the same routine, although this time, his life story was completely different. Over the course of the next year, I had the same experience with two other folks.

My general impression now is that anyone out of the street begging, is really just hustling. Whether it's because it's the 'career' path they've chosen, or because their circumstances have forced them to, I don't know, or really care. What I do know is that I really hate being manipulated and lied to, so I tend to be rather dismissive in any interactions I have these days. Yeah, I know, that probably makes me a heartless dick. I still believe a man is worth what he makes of himself, and if you're capable of getting up each morning and walking the street hustling, you're capable of making something worthwhile of yourself. Generally speaking, I will help and support someone who is making an effort. I refuse to subsidize those who won't (more than I already do, anyway. Fucking taxes).

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    "no, sorry"
    And it is true. I am sorry. But I dont have money to give.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never give money to beggars, I might give money to street performers/artists if they are good though.

Reason I do not give out money to beggars is because here you have the right to receive social help if you are in such a situation.