Lightbulb A brand new addon idea

I actually dreamt about this and thought it was a cool idea that hasn't been done before. If someone with some addon development skills could make this a reality it would be great.

Basically how it would work is for raid-leading purposes, you could search through the combat log after a wipe by typing in two spells or search terms and it would announce to /raid the time difference between the two spells.

An example is if a rogue said he popped cloak of shadows before getting a debuff, you could type into a GUI after a wipe "cloak of shadows" & "nasty debuff" and it would look through the combatlog and announce 1 line to the raid like

"[Cloak of Shadows] was used by MrRogue 1.78 seconds after [Nasty Debuff] was applied."

Maybe you don't have to type the entire spell, you can just type "shadows" and it will do like a regex string search or something, so you don't have to spell the entire word out (dont know if possible).

It could also have other uses before a player dies I suppose, you can see the time difference between a heal on them or a specific cooldown they used and the time they died. But the possibilities are sort of endless depending on encounters that could come in the future.

Oh and in my dream I asked the guy what addon he was using and he said it was called "Hexany", not that that matters but feel free to use it if you want, LOL.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

You can use the addon Death Note to check for pretty much that. Cooldown use will highlight the combat log where the CD is up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Firstly, the addon 'DeathNote' does most of that for you.

Secondly, if its obvious that you wiped to a rogue not CoS'ing before a debuff, then it is also obvious that the rogue needs to press the button earlier. No addon's required.

Thirdly, though not as useful if you need immediate in-game notification, is doing some combat logging with Warcraft Logs (or World of Logs, if you're still in the Cata age). For that, I'd advise in an auto logging addon such as LoggerHead, or the Ask Mr Robot addon so you don't have to worry about turning it on or off.

As for this particular idea. Yes it could indeed be done, but you'd be using so much RAM usage (moreso for 25man than for 10), just in the off chance you need to find out when your raiders are a bit slow.

That's true, there are addons to look through the last 10-30 seconds or before someone died.

Maybe that wasn't the best example, but where this could shine is for understanding concisely what happened, on the spot. And you have the power and flexibility to search for what you are looking for.

Perhaps taunting a boss, a healer taking too long to dispel a debuff's duration, or using your ExtraActionButton to do something, etc. etc. Encounters are getting more and more complex.

There's not really a good in-game addon for that at the moment.
    Last edited by lawomous; 2014-07-09 at 05:00 PM.

Could you be a bit more precise on what type of thing you'd want it for, where Death Note couldn't do that? As you can enable/disable spells, consolidate heals and such if needed, show cooldowns, damage and healing received etc.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2014-07-09 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Could you be a bit more precise on what type of thing you'd want it for, where Death Note couldn't do that?
    Generally speaking if you suspect that player X dropped the ball, his death log will usually tell you when he's standing in bad without a cd rolling.

If I understand his idea correctly: log encounter data, take two spells with source and destination units, and then display timestamp differences between the log events. He wants to measure reaction speeds that aren't necessarily tied to death.

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous View Post
    Maybe that wasn't the best example, but where this could be shine for understanding concisely what happened, on the spot. And you have the power and flexibility to search for what you are looking for.
    Exists this combo with Details! + Time Line plugin where cooldowns and debuffs is shown like this, could be what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Woogs View Post
    If I understand his idea correctly: log encounter data, take two spells with source and destination units, and then display timestamp differences between the log events. He wants to measure reaction speeds that aren't necessarily tied to death.
    Yeah, this exactly. And the ability to output to raid, so it shows clearly what happened, in a way that only charts and graphs on your screen for you to look at doesn't really help to explain to everyone else in a clear way, for raid-leading purposes.
    Last edited by lawomous; 2014-07-09 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ykiigor View Post
    Also, you can see Exorsus Raid Tools
    I will check it out, it has a lot of cool features, thanks!
    Last edited by lawomous; 2014-07-11 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous View Post
    How do you write text in the Note?

Quote Originally Posted by ykiigor View Post
    For step 2 my mouse is stuck as a regular wow cursor and doesn't enter text by clicking in the Note box. Here's what happens if I try to click inside the box to enter text:

http://youtu.be/c8C4lnD5yfc
    Last edited by lawomous; 2014-07-10 at 02:08 AM.