Thread: DropBox halp!

DropBox halp!

Hi. Is anyone using DropBox app?
    I'm a bit confused, thought DropBox is a 50gb (in my case) storage on the internet, and I can access that storage from either my PC or mobile device.
    But in reality it just syncs data between the two, and keeps everything on my HDD?

Deleted
    The data is stored online. You do not need your PC to be on for example to sync between other devices, you can link people to things on your dropbox and they can access them from online, not from your machine as I frequently link my dropbox files to friends and they download from there. If you deleted the data from your devices, it'd still be backed up online.

You can set dropbox up to selectively sync, ie. only sync files from a certain folder and you can also tell it not to sync at all. If you don't want it to auto download to a device just turn that off. On the app on your desktop/phone/whatever click preferences, then account, then selective sync, then uncheck folders if you don't want it to store those files on your HD as well as online.

Thanks a lot! One more question: why did DropBox create a folder in my Gallery folder? On my mobile device.
    There used to be Gallery/Camera, now there's also Gallery/Camera Uploads, with all the same pictures that are in /Camera folder. #confused

- - - Updated - - -

I've just tried something, deleted all photos from DropBox.com, folder on my mobile device disappeared.
    Then I turned off auto sync to my PC - works well, photos are still flowing to the web, but not to my PC anymore.
    Took one picture, it automatically went to the web (awesome) and that pesky folder /Gallery/Camera Uploads appeared again on my mobile device, showing everything I've got on the web (which is currently one picture).
    I wonder - does it actually take space? I guess it does?
    So now I've got 5mb picture in my /Gallery/Camera + on the web + on the /Gallery/Camera Uploads.

- - - Updated - - -

How on earth do I stop this madness?

- - - Updated - - -

So... I could just... Delete my /Camera folder once in a while, since everything is on the web anyway... jesus I'm so noob, had to buy smartphone earlier

Have back ups nonetheless. If it isn't a paid service, they cannot guarantee the integrity nor confidentiality of your data. Actually, even if it is paid, they still can't... or even if they say the do, you shouldn't trust the claims.