Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    teleports - makes getting around so much nicer (and lets you use your hearth for strategic locations: IE in townlong steppes when ToT isle was current, or Timeless isle for farming before you have rep/coins for the trinket, etc)

Whenever I think mage. I think of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z29Rk8814w

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    I've always wanted to play a Mage, but for one I loathe leveling. I also have a 90 Lock, which is my main and I enjoy thoroughly.

How different are Mages from Locks? It's essentially, to me, the same thing from observations. Even Frost has a perma pet, and evenLocks can GoSac pet to be petless like Mages.

So what really is the kicker here? Is it the pvp utility? Is it just that you're throwing frost and fire instead of fel flame and shadows? What sets mages apart?

Mages have a very unique niche in WOW these days. While everyone else is standing in fire and face tanking mobs with self healing, mages are still running around in circles kiting, slowing and avoiding everything like they were back in Vanilla.

If this type of playstyle suits you, then Mages are a lot of fun. If not, then back out slowly and never look back.

I struggle with my Mage these days. Was my first 60 back in Vanilla, and back then, (nostalgia goggles on), every class had some "unique" flavor when it came to solo play in the open world. Locks/Hunters would pet tank, Rogues would Stunlock, Mages would kite, Hybrids would Tank/Heal/Kite depending on which class. Today, pretty much every class except mages can face tank and self heal. It makes me feel like I'm having to work harder when on my Mage out in the world (where I exclusively play solo). Farming Dinosaur bones and Warbringers for example is a pita... not impossible, just a pita.

Lore wise, I love the class. And keep leaning towards making it my main (again) in WOD due to solo changes in old content. I just don't want to end up regretting it with more Rare Elites in WOD, made to be killed in groups, but able to solo'd by every class except mages Also my Paladin has pretty much every possible faction at Exalted which is hard to walk away from.
    Last edited by Dakara; 2014-08-10 at 12:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Despite all the negative things people have said, this thread is making me seriously consider going back to playing mage as my main in WoD. I haven't mained a mage since Cata, and my mage is stuck on a ghost server and I refuse to pay to move him. That said, I may use my 90 boost to get a mage on my new server (after I level it to 60 that is)...

10+ Year Old Account
    I just like to burn things.

Deleted
    It's true. Soloing rare on your mage in the world right now is a PITA (or grinding dino bones). Still, you're in a good position dps-wise and a lot of raids are happy to bring a mage (at least on my server). And don't forget the QoL gimmicks a mage has Portals and... uhm... portals! Also blink! And... did I mention portals? Really portals are all I can think of right now, since food isn't really usefull anymore now that you can buy stat food from vendors...

On the Beta however...
    mages seem to be in a really got spot in PvE. Now that the need for evocation (or rune) is gone, everything seems to be rainbows and unicorns. I'm having a blast in beta, and if things stay like this till release, I'll be a happy cupcake.
    But in comparison to the mandatory upkeep of evocation, everything seems just lovely...

Deleted
    Seeing how nice and positive are the changes to mages in PVE I will be switching my lock (played during classic era, cata bit and MOP a lot) to a mage.
    As a fellow warlock the only thing I may advise you is to conisder it from two perspectives. First warlocks will lose a lot in the next expansion due to Blizzard philosophy.
    Second thing: its always nice to play something new in a while, and new expansions are probably the best moment to do so.

All in All I feel bit exited that my new main for the next expansion will be a mage. I like the changes, new talents and style. Feels like the same time they were changing Wizards in Diablo 3 they also took care of mages for WOD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomyzs View Post
    Seeing how nice and positive are the changes to mages in PVE I will be switching my lock (played during classic era, cata bit and MOP a lot) to a mage.
    As a fellow warlock the only thing I may advise you is to conisder it from two perspectives. First warlocks will lose a lot in the next expansion due to Blizzard philosophy.
    Second thing: its always nice to play something new in a while, and new expansions are probably the best moment to do so.

All in All I feel bit exited that my new main for the next expansion will be a mage. I like the changes, new talents and style. Feels like the same time they were changing Wizards in Diablo 3 they also took care of mages for WOD.
    It is a good time for it, indeed. Welcome to the world of Mages! On Wednesdays we wear pink!

We are higher on sims then locks atm. Do you need any more reasons? We are better then those mini mages with fire in shitty color.