Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Sell the Mage class to me.

I've always wanted to play a Mage, but for one I loathe leveling. I also have a 90 Lock, which is my main and I enjoy thoroughly.

How different are Mages from Locks? It's essentially, to me, the same thing from observations. Even Frost has a perma pet, and evenLocks can GoSac pet to be petless like Mages.

So what really is the kicker here? Is it the pvp utility? Is it just that you're throwing frost and fire instead of fel flame and shadows? What sets mages apart?

Right now? Mages have one good quality, and that's having all 3 specs fairly equal. Besides that, there's no point to not stay as a Warlock until at least WoD. By WoD, I can't really tell because I'm not on beta, but Mage QoL is improving a bit (not much, but a bit; no forced bombs/Invocation), and Warlocks is being decreased due to being "OP" in MoP.

My recommendation is to level a Mage to 90 right now and then SIT on it until WoD. Once you hit 90, you won't have nearly as much fun.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

*Personal opinion*

I don't think there's much of a reason to play a Mage at 90 right now either. But if you got Beta or WoD, things look better by quite a bit, still undetermined how Mages will compare to other ranged, but at least we have options and variance of gameplay come WoD(unless Blizz screws up the balance).

Should probably add that I do still like playing a Mage, just from a Warlock to a Mage right now seems like a bad idea. I would suggest leveling 1, if you have the time.. Maybe even try it at 90, but just know that WoD will fix quite a few problems.
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2014-07-10 at 02:30 AM.

Personally I think that Mage is one of the highest skillcap classes in the game. You're always finding ways to squeeze a little more dps, sometimes even a lot more by just rehashing the way you play or approach a fight.

Mage was my first character and even though it was never my main, I still hold considerable progress with him (done 1~3 heroics each tier) and it's a lot of fun.

I don't know why people come to a thread that asks for encouragement for playing the class and go on a crusade to point out it's bad. Mages have always been at the top of the meters and even at low ilvl you can do amazing things (provided you don't get stuck in a comfort zone and never seek to improve).

15+ Year Old Account
    What crusade did anyone go on?

Honestly unless you like running away from things, and having to be preemptive on incoming damage, don't do it.
    Compared to warlocks we are squishy as all hell, and our dps is pretty much the same, and we can't solo half the things warlocks can.

So to sum it up in my opinion unless your mainly into heroic raiding were you can get the gear to overpower most mobs, your warlock is going to be more fun out in the world.
    In raids however the main difference between warlocks and mages at the moment is warlocks have about another 200k hp, and take about 25-50% less raid damage.

p.s. While all 3 specs do comparable dps, 2 take a decent amount of gear to be comparable and 1 of those takes wildly different gear

My summary - has the most 'oh shit' options in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    So what really is the kicker here? Is it the pvp utility? Is it just that you're throwing frost and fire instead of fel flame and shadows? What sets mages apart?
    There is no kicker, there is literally no actual valid reason to play a mage. Nothing at all.

I play one because I always have...

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    There is no kicker, there is literally no actual valid reason to play a mage. Nothing at all.

I play one because I always have...
    Best answer. We basically have Stockholm Syndrome from playing Mage for so long. No reason to play Mage right now, esp if you have a Warlock. Warlock is just "Mage, and so much more" right now.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Hello..free portals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misume View Post
    The day the Mythic Progression Thread isn't 95% trolling is the day Prime comes back to power.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't in good conscience suggest mage as long as Rune of Power exists. But wait, there's more:

I also really think people don't realize the impact of powerful passives & permutations of talents will have on Mythic progression. Mages will be responsible to be effective at so many combinations of abilities depending on a given situation and must shelve their personal enjoyment for max DPS.

To an extent it's always been this way, but now it will impact number of keybinds, priority of bind usage, and ET%s like never seen before. There will be mountains of misinformation regarding which talents to take on which fights due to quantity of adds, location of adds, and burst necessity versus sustained AoE/cleave.

I think the mage class is by far the most enjoyable to play, however with modern pressures on the hardest difficulty I think it will be more stress than it is worth in WoD. So if you intend to skip out on Mythic, this is a great class.
    Last edited by Akraen; 2014-07-10 at 11:17 AM. Reason: My phone hates the word conscience.

I wouldn't suggest to play Mage either, my Mage is my my main because of sentimental reasons, Wrlock class design and Warlock kit are better

I would give a word of caution ; once you live in a world with blink it might be impossible to live without it. I know it seems silly but blink changes the way you do heroics, solo, the very way you view the game. Things become " can I blink out of this or not" for almost every boss mechanic. Do this for a few months and try to play another class, it will be harder than you might think. I know I can't go back to my shaman at the moment just for this reason

Mages are blue, Warlocks are purple.

I dunno, if you like Mages play them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can't honestly even try given the Level 90 Talents exist. Maybe in WoD it won't be as bad. Both Mages and Warlocks are great in PVP and PVE, with Warlocks probably being better. You have a Warlock. Unless you're like me with a crazy amount of alts you don't need a Mage.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

I echo the comments above. RoP is terrible. Alter Time is retarded. Our damage is too reliant on RNG and ultimately in the end will piss you off!

Bindings and Alter Time is one of the best Troll combinations that Blizzard has come up with in a long time. I cant tell you how many times Ive let my BBoY go to 8/9 and that trinket not proc, AT hoping that Bindings doesnt proc, have 1 sec left on my AT to have the Bindings proc. GG! 1 sec on my longest and most important trinket buff, thanks Blizz.

Fuck this game!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luminoth4 View Post
    Can't honestly even try given the Level 90 Talents exist. Maybe in WoD it won't be as bad. Both Mages and Warlocks are great in PVP and PVE, with Warlocks probably being better. You have a Warlock. Unless you're like me with a crazy amount of alts you don't need a Mage.
    PvP, Mages are still better than Warlocks although all youre going to hear is Lol, Frost Mage, LTP noob.

As a positive the frost set bonuses look awesome now.

Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    I think the mage class is by far the most enjoyable to play, however with modern pressures on the hardest difficulty I think it will be more stress than it is worth in WoD. So if you intend to skip out on Mythic, this is a great class.
    Akraen here sums it up beautifully. Assuming you're not doing Mythic, Mage will actually be pretty fun, IN WOD. I can't stress that enough, so I even used Comic Sans as a last-resort-further-emphasis on how vital it is that you realize Mages are horrible (in terms of fun/QoL) right now, and won't be in WoD, unless you're doing mythic progression.

So again, best advice I can give: Level one up to 90 and then immediately stop playing him because you'll be so annoyed with the L90 talents and other annoying BS. Or you can just take IW and continue playing him, but I still wouldn't recommend it. Might taint your mind of Mages come L100.

Quote Originally Posted by Txiv View Post
    I would give a word of caution ; once you live in a world with blink it might be impossible to live without it. I know it seems silly but blink changes the way you do heroics, solo, the very way you view the game. Things become " can I blink out of this or not" for almost every boss mechanic. Do this for a few months and try to play another class, it will be harder than you might think. I know I can't go back to my shaman at the moment just for this reason
    Oh god, being away from the game, I completely forgot about how lost I was when playing an alt. Something would come at me and I'd be like "WHERE THE FUCK IS MY BLOODY BLINK BUTTON?!", wiiiiith the exception of Hunters because reverse Blink, yaaaaaay (in all seriousness, Disengage is actually MORE fun to use than Blink because of its hilariously awkward mechanic, especially when you want to jump as it activates for more distance)

Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    PvP, Mages are still better than Warlocks although all youre going to hear is Lol, Frost Mage, LTP noob.
    With them nerfing Deep Freeze into oblivion and having lost Frostburn, this is now actually questionable. Combustion is also getting a huge PvP nerf with losing its stun and initial damage, so I really want to question just how good or bad Mages will be in PvP.

Thankfully, the only PvP I intend to do is on my Druid or Hunter, so I only care for knowledge sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a lot of time in MoP to level up 6 90s (injury kept me in the house for a great deal of time). My latest alt is a mage and she is awesome. The class is just so much fun to play. Being able to port is awesome. It sounds like just a fun little something extra, but it seriously grew on me. Now I can group with my bf, open a port to somewhere, hop on an alt have him invite the other alt and port myself wherever I want.

PvP is oh so much fun as a frost mage. Frost nova, blink, turn around and frozen orb everyone makes me chuckle every time. Mirror image is also pretty sweet, and you can't forget invisibility. Oh and poly....so much fun. I use to (dammit Blizz for taking this away) poly the moths in front of the shrine into little cats, flying kittehs!! Last time I did it the cats just fell out of the sky

TL;DR : Mages are a lot of fun, lots of utility. Just make sure you adapt to the mindset of avoiding damage, you can't really heal yourself the way a warlock can. That still kind of screws me up. My main is a pally, I'm use to be able to run right up to someone, beat on them for a bit then heal myself. As a mage I have to stand back and pewpew, cc, run back pewpew, some more cc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Issalice
    Just make sure you adapt to the mindset of avoiding damage, you can't really heal yourself the way a warlock can. That still kind of screws me up. My main is a pally, I'm use to be able to run right up to someone, beat on them for a bit then heal myself. As a mage I have to stand back and pewpew, cc, run back pewpew, some more cc etc
    This.

Mages are incredibly squishy, you need to kite using cc and blink, unlike a lock who can stand there and take damage.

To be honest that won't change in WoD as they have no decent self sustainability.
    Battletag: Chris#23952 (EU)
    Warlock

10+ Year Old Account
    You've played as a Lock, so you're used to having something tank for you, or being able to take a bit of a beating when something gets close. Magi (mages, whatever) aren't like that. I preface the remainder of my response by the fact that I play predominately Frost spec on my mages, with some Fire thrown in for PVP purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Sell the Mage class to me.
    Take the language with a grain of salt, as you did say.. " sell " ..

You're a sniper; not in the traditional "gun on a hilltop overlooking the enemy bunker" sense. but a sniper nonetheless. Your magic mows down enemies from a distance, damages them and slowing their progress, until they gasp their last breath and fall dead at your feet and you /laugh at them mercilessly.

[Cheesy advertisement ended.]

Still, you've got a lot of slowing and kiting capability with Frost spec. You also have the (as I have nicknamed it) 'crack maniac' style of running around in Fire spec (thinking PVP here) spamming Scorch and launching insta-cast Pyroblasts and frustrating the crap out of people with Frost Nova and Cone of Cold.

Of course, as others have mentioned, there's Blink, teleport and portal for yourself and others, etc. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    Oh and poly....so much fun. I use to (dammit Blizz for taking this away) poly the moths in front of the shrine into little cats, flying kittehs!! Last time I did it the cats just fell out of the sky
    Use "glyph of penguin." You'll get mid-air swimming penguins. (No joke. I do it all the time.)

#FlightIsImportant