Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    You say that, but the article says otherwise. It explicitly says unless you are accompanying a body home, you shouldn't be in dress.
    Then maybe it has changed. Been several years since I was in.

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    100% agree with this, nothing against military personnel but they're just people doing a job like anyone else. Plus the player in question posted the fact that he was giving up his seat all over facebook or twitter or whatever. "HEY GUYS CHECK ME OUT I DO ACTS OF GENEROSITY ONLY WHEN THE WORLD CAN SEE THEM!" Classy!
    True, that part in question is a bit....meh, the only thing I'm concerned about, is the impersonation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    That's many service members for you, but it still doesn't take away from the fact you could remind them and thank them for their service (which I do, you do not, no one is in the wrong here, until one side starts claiming one side is stupid/low, as Spectral claimed). That's my problem with it, overreaction? I find the mental image of felatting soldiers and Marines a bit over the top for giving your opinion on thanking or not thanking service members.
    I find thanking someone for having a job a bit silly, but understandable if it's a job you have special admiration for (soldier doesn't qualify for me, it'd be well behind doctor, scientist, and plenty of others from a social service standpoint for me, but that's subjective and I wouldn't tell someone what jobs they should personally admire). Giving up an expensive seat is what I described as stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

True, that part in question is a bit....meh, the only thing I'm concerned about, is the impersonation.
    Yeah, faking is a dick move. It's also illegal in this case, although I don't generally tend to place a lot of moral weight on whether something's illegal or not. In any case, it's tantamount to lying and disrespects people that have put in the work to actually wear a uniform.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2014-07-10 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Then maybe it has changed. Been several years since I was in.
    Depends on your branch. The Marines have had super strict dress codes (to the point they can't even get out of their car in uniform off-base) since at least 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I find thanking someone for having a job a bit silly, but understandable if it's a job you have special admiration for (soldier doesn't qualify for me, it'd be well behind doctor, scientist, and plenty of others from a social service standpoint for me, but that's subjective and I wouldn't tell someone what jobs they should personally admire). Giving up an expensive seat is what I described as stupid.
    To each their own, like you're implying. If he really admires service members, and he wants to do that, then go ahead, however like I said, your delivery of it was in poor taste, to me personally.

Angry

That's many service members for you, but it still doesn't take away from the fact you could remind them and thank them for their service (which I do, you do not, no one is in the wrong here, until one side starts claiming one side is stupid/low, as Spectral claimed). That's my problem with it, overreaction? I find the mental image of felatting soldiers and Marines a bit over the top for giving your opinion on thanking or not thanking service members.
    How is invading desert shitholes and slaughtering innocent people in the name of oil freedom worthy of my thanks?

In any case, it's tantamount to lying and disrespects people that have put in the work to actually where a uniform.
    It's tantamount to fraud, actually. Like if I were to lie about having terminal cancer and receive benefits because of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, faking is a dick move. It's also illegal in this case, although I don't generally tend to place a lot of moral weight on whether something's illegal or not. In any case, it's tantamount to lying and disrespects people that have put in the work to actually where a uniform
    That's honestly the only part I care about. Idk why anyone would go to those lengths to get fake admiration, especially from a job that those medals easily represent many achievements they actually worked/layed down their lives for. It's just extremely rude and ridiculous if you really care for the services.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarez View Post
    How is invading desert shitholes and slaughtering innocent people in the name of oil freedom worthy of my thanks?
    You're welcome to your opinion, however I will tell you that many of your freedoms you enjoy/take for granted every day are because of many men and women laying their lives down for them. So, yknow, might want to be a little more respectful.

You're welcome to your opinion, however I will tell you that many of your freedoms you enjoy/take for granted every day are because of many men and women laying their lives down for them. So, yknow, might want to be a little more respectful.
    Yeah, maybe in World War 2. Since then? Not really. They've died for a political agenda.

The trash man has a much more profound effect on my life.

Yeah, maybe in World War 2. Since then? Not really. They've died for a political agenda.
    You're welcome to your opinion, however in my opinion you're saying that from one side of the fence, the other side is zero involvement and potential serious threats we could've had to deal with for letting things fester. That's just me though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doing the right thing isn't something you brag about online. It's something you do because it's the right thing to do, it's polite, it's generous. These are things you should be HUMBLE about. So yeah, I don't feel bad that he got blasted both ways for this.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarez View Post
    Careful everyone, don't cut yourselves on all that edge.

Invading Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan didn't really protect my freedoms, and those are pretty much the only vets still alive today that might be on active duty. Granted the ones from Korea and 'Nam would be ancient.

The trash man has a much more profound effect on my life.
    At least he can get rid of the garbage. The government can't seem to get rid of their own garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Doing the right thing isn't something you brag about online. It's something you do because it's the right thing to do, it's polite, it's generous. These are things you should be HUMBLE about. So yeah, I don't feel bad that he got blasted both ways for this.
    Like I've stated before, that's not the part I care about, it's the impersonation in question. I'll agree that it's in poor taste to do what you're saying, but that's not really what I'm peeved about.

- - - Updated - - -

Careful everyone, don't cut yourselves on all that edge.
    Most of the time I just kind of feel sad for people like that in that they're saying it from the present outcome. If no one stepped in, the situations and leaders thereof could have gotten cocky to do something worse, and to us in particular.

Most of the time I just kind of feel sad for people like that in that they're saying it from the present outcome. If no one stepped in, the situations and leaders thereof could have gotten cocky to do something worse, and to us in particular.
    If we hadn't meddled, maybe we wouldn't be a colossal target.

That's the thing about fantasy, you don't know.

It seems like the guy only gave up his seat for the sake of receiving gratitude and praise - which is pretty much in line with a lot of 'charitable' acts these days. Personally speaking I'd only offer my seat to someone who was elderly, a kid, pregnant or genuinely looked to be in need of one. I've never really bought into the hero worship of soldiers, though.

Careful, suggesting we create most of our own enemies doesn't tend to go over well.

It goes both ways, fantasy in that if we wouldn't have meddled we would've been completely fine/safe. Which is more or less what you're saying, but to assume we would've been fine without conflict isn't exactly a sound argument given they have zero idea what could have been.

It goes both ways, fantasy in that if we wouldn't have meddled we would've been completely fine/safe.
    Take Iran. There's no reason to think we'd have conflict with them right now if we had kept to ourselves years ago.

We invented reasons to go to war in Vietnam. The number of wars we needed to wage are far fewer than the number chose to.

Going to twitter to post your "generosity" is pretty disgusting to me.

"I DID SOMETHING NICE, EVERY ONE LOOK AT HOW NICE AND AWESOME I AM!!!!"

The guy pretending to be a service man is also fucked.
    READ and be less Ignorant.