Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cousin View Post
    So... I ended up not being able to be sincere. Told the gl my life situation has changed and that I'm quitting in a couple of weeks, but will hang around until a new healer is found. After ten days they had found an adequate replacement and I logged in at 3AM the night after and gquit. New name, new race, new transmog. Big realm, so hopefully they won't find out it's me. I really wanted to tell them the truth, but my confrontation anxiety got the better of me.
    Lol you spent all that money even though it doesn't mean anything at all.
    1) you're already on a different realm it's not like you're going to talk to them
    2) there's a website where I can just enter on your past or current ign and it will show me every guild, realm, and past names you've had.
    I love these kind of threads where the op asks what people what to do and instead of taking good advice he just goes on with his own poorly thought out plans.

That's none of my business tho
    #1 fire mage US. u mirin'?
    "Aaah ah ah ah ah ah ah yea, f*ck me, ah, f*ck, aah yeah"
    - Jenna Jameson

"So Long, and Thanks for All the Loot"
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    That's the system that the community has created, though. Guild-hopping is about the only way to get ahead, and I really can't blame individual players for this when guilds really don't care about them outside of their "gearscore and achievements", either.
    Guild hopping is fine but you can still leave in a 'good fashion'. Guilds care about good raiders quite a lot, if you haven't had this experience then perhaps you aren't good.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Not really. Anxiety disorders are actually a thing, and it has nothing to do with "growing a pair." Nice pep talk though, so now instead of just experiencing anxiety which they can't help, a person that experiences anxiety in that situation can also feel defective because they were abused for it. Heh.
    Ah yes, internet diagnosis. He must have a disorder! Thanks Doc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm on an 8/14hc guild atm and I really like my guild. However, some people are just terrible and are stalling our progress but since they've been part of the core team for several years, the guild leader isn't going to replace them. I've applied to a new and more suitable guild and been accepted as a trial. Unfortunately, this guild is on the same realm and my current one so I can't do the immature "just say goodbye and transfer" move that I've relied on earlier. So how do I leave my current guild without coming off as a douche? Do I tell them the truth? I've only been a part of the guild for 3 months, so do I owe them a reason for leaving? I'm really anxious about this situation and would appreciate you sharing your experiences with people leaving your guild and vice versa.
    "It's been a great journey with you all, but unfortunately we're not going anywhere anytime soon. So I'm leaving to find a new guild. Thanks for all the fish guys!" /gquit

7+ Year Old Account
    I was just in the same situation last week, found a progression guild late in the patch when I actually felt like doing heroics ( late june). They had just started 1/14 and I stayed with them until we got 11/14. After 50 or so attempts on heroic thok I noticed that the shadow priest(me) was #1 on the meters. It wasn't going well and I think the point when I decided to leave was when I had to explain to our lock that he had Unending Resolve. Great group of guys, funny and all but it wasn't fun slugging through heroics that should have been so easy with our gear. Just explain to them that you are looking for a more progression oriented guild, that you had a great time but their guild just isn't for you and leave. Don't focus too much on what happens to that guild, because if they were so close to falling apart that one person leaving caused its collapse don't you think anyone else would leave and cause it? Good luck getting into a better guild though

I used to be the type that would explain in-depth my problems with the guild to the GM and tell them that I was looking at other options, etc. Then I got tired of hearing the 'Oh we're making some changes!' and the 'Can you please just stay until we get a replacement?' arguments time after time. Usually I find a guild first, inform the GM / officers that I'm leaving, and then bounce. No need to give a "two weeks' notice" especially this late in the expansion when almost every guild is at their peak of progression.

In actuality, guilds are just a group of people with a common raid schedule who enjoy raiding together. If you're not IRL friends or haven't made close connections with anyone in the guild, why do you owe them an explanation for leaving? It only took getting kicked from raiding guilds twice to realize that people I had been raiding with for years didn't have any problems removing me from the roster on a whim, so why do I need to have a problem with leaving on a whim?

It also helps that I never make the douchey "lateral" move. Everytime I've left a guild and gone to a new one, it's been a big upgrade. It's a lot easier for a guild to accept you leaving if you are actually going to a guild that has significantly greater progression and is better skilled and experienced.

they arent your mom. just go and have a good time. if they hate you for wanting more out of a game you pay for then fuck them

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Blue Bear View Post
    "It's been a great journey with you all, but unfortunately we're not going anywhere anytime soon. So I'm leaving to find a new guild. Thanks for all the fish guys!" /gquit
    Just wanted to quote this and add that you should never insult the guild when you leave or bring up the negative aspects as to why you're leaving, especially in guild chat. It makes them think you somehow believe that you are better than them. If you really feel the need to discuss why you're leaving the guild, do so with people who can make a difference in officer chat, and do it with the intention that you want them to change. Don't do it just to say "You guys suck, I'm going to this better group of players." Because you never know when the guild you're leaving might decide to ditch the dead weight and start progressing, and god forbid they pass your guild up in progression because that would be embarrassing.

If asked, just say that the style of raiding isn't what you are looking for in a guild, or that you are looking for a more progression-oriented guild (only works if you are actually going to a more progressed guild.) If the new raid guild has different raiding days / hours, just say that the schedule is better (even if it isn't.) If the new guild is 25 man / 10 man and your old guild is the other format, just say you would rather experience raiding in a larger / closer-knit environment.

Point is, there's no reason to make them feel bad and be angry at you for leaving. You never know when you might need one of the better players to fill a PUG, or if one of their players goes to an A-list guild on the server and they shoot down your app because you were an elitist. These are all things I've had to deal with when it came to old guildies.

say as little as possible, explain yourself to the raid leader or gm and tell them you are still on the server and no hard feelings. they dont own you. just be honest and up front. thats the most respectable thing to do. you cant just leave in the dead of night and then log in the next day in a new guild and expect them to not be like wtf dude. thats why being up front is key to keeping a good rep on a server when u guild hop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Entirely depends on why I'm wanting to leave, though normally I have no issues with just telling them the real reason. Though I haven't been in anyone else's guild in years, I've been the GM of 3 guilds of my own since about BC. In one of them, the guild was just surpassing me as far as progression and willingness to play went, so I passed GM to someone else and quit. The other two I maintained up until I quit 6 months or so ago, at which point I booted everyone out, because everything in the guild bank was mine personally, and I didn't want someone to contend GM and take it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never been in a guild that held a vendetta against anyone who left. The idea of it is just strange. Just tell them you want to try a different guild and move on.

Just tell them "I have to go now, my planet needs me". I'm sure they'll understand.

Unfortunately, this guild is on the same realm and my current one so I can't do the immature "just say goodbye and transfer" move that I've relied on earlier.
    You are exactly whats wrong with the avarage raider, grow a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I've never been in a guild that held a vendetta against anyone who left. The idea of it is just strange. Just tell them you want to try a different guild and move on.
    To be fair, I have. But it's usually only when, as mentioned above, the person leaves with a parting insult or only brings up the negatives when leaving. Giving that parting shot in gchat that the guild isn't going anywhere not only turns the guild members against you, but it might also give them a reason to perform better and make sure their guild tops your new one.

10+ Year Old Account
    /gquit and that's it, why make a show or whatever, it's not like you're at your mothers funeral

You just say you want to go.

There is never a need to go.

Give your reasons.

/gquit

10+ Year Old Account
    With a big 'ol Z-snap. They will not be able to deny your sass.

wait til everyone is offline and leave. also delete all the guild members you have on battletag that are offline

- - - Updated - - -

No one needs to know shit. it's your 14.99 a month
    POWERED BY THE RED RAGE OF OUR CUSTOMERS, THIS IRON STEED WILL VALIANTLY LEAD YOU INTO BATTLE FOR THE ONLY FEW WEEKS YOU WILL USE IT. TAKES ONLY $30 AND YOUR SOUL TO ENJOY THE MOUNT EVERY OTHER PERSON HAS. BUY NOOOW.