Thread: Wierd Pc !!

Wierd Pc !!

Hi guys,
    my pc runs on :
    -Cpu > Intel Pentium D Cpu 3.00ghz 3.00ghz
    -Gpu > GeForce 8400 Gs 512mb
    -Psu > Bought recently 490w power
    -Ram > 2gb

im too darn old for a pc but i'm a bit attached to this one i got it in 2008 , since then i faced overheating problemes but i handled them (taking off dust , thermal paste ......) but other than that it was runing perfectly untile last week , it started shuting down instantly , i tried to deal with it like an overheating probleme but still shuts down after playing 5-10 min of wow , i cleared the dust a way , i changed the gpu into the integrated gpu , i Bought a more powerfull psu , but nothing changed then i downloaded the temp measuring and i found :
    -Cpu Temp = 45-48 c ==> 65-74 c on heavy load
    -gpu Temp = 35-37 c ==> 55-59 c on heavy load
    -Mother Board = 31-3 c ==> 39-42 c on heavy load
    when i had a overheating problem my cpu shuts off on 90-92 , so i dont think its a overheating probleme , so i really hope you guys consider my post

Could be a number of things. Most likely a hardware issue.

If it were mine, I would check the RAM first. On two occasions I've had machines behave similarly and both times it was fixed by replacing the RAM.

Since you've ruled out the CPU and GPU the next step would be to try replacing the Motherboard.

If none of that works, you might have a software issue, though I believe this to be unlikely.

Good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    What was the old PSU and the new PSU?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

the old one was bought GeForce 8400 Gs 512mb and i changed it to the motherboard Gpu integrated

I'm with UncleHank, check your RAM. I've had similar problems at least twice in the past (bluescreens and random shutdowns after a few minutes playing various games but if you're not gaming it runs fine even if it's getting a little hot in there) and it has always turned out to be 1 or more RAM sticks deciding to give up the ghost...the very first time it was because the RAM was incompatible with the Mobo but you'd think buying a prebuilt PC they would of sorted that (took me a few weeks and some very angry phonecalls before we got that one sorted). Think it's Memtest86 or somesuch I have used in the past and it required being put on a CD to be booted from or a USB stick if your BIOS will boot from those.
    Best of luck

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilaw View Post
    the old one was bought GeForce 8400 Gs 512mb and i changed it to the motherboard Gpu integrated
    The power supply, not the GPU
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    One suspect would be the psu but unless you are really unlucky and the new one you bought came faulty or is a really bad one, then the next suspect would be ram. 2gb nowadays unfortunately is nothing. Have you check if you hard drive is full?

When you say the pc shuts down what exactly is going on? Does it just shut down - black screen all of a sudden, you get a blue screen with an error, pc restarts?

the old psu was on 300W

- - - Updated - - -

nah it just shut down and i cant start it unless i unplug the power cable then plug it back

- - - Updated - - -

i'll try it without ram

10+ Year Old Account
    And what is the -new- power supply?

the new one is 490w

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes but what is it. What brand, model, etc.

It may not be the issue but just covering all the bases

Diamond Atx-p4

- - - Updated - - -

i tried removing on ram stick and it ran for 30 min (unusual) but it shut down at the end so im pretty much lost here

10+ Year Old Account
    It might be that your CPU is simply on its last legs. Has it ever been overclocked and/or over-volted? You mention that you've had overheating problems, that might have damaged the CPU, and the Pentium D is old and shitty, it was shit even when it was new with all kinds of problems.

Try underclocking and lower the voltage slightly to your CPU, that could stabilize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd suspect the PSU, if swapping the RAM doesn't work. "Diamond ATX4" sounds like an off brand July 4th thing.

why invest all that money into an old pentium d.......

2GB ram is ok if your running xp.... You want atleast 3gb for vista 4GB for windows 7 minimum.

You can buy a cheap powersupply tester for like 5 to 10 bucks if you really want to test it; otherwise you use a known good power supply.

take the memory sticks out and reseat them, then use memtest to see if you get any errors during the test.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest drivers if any.

Try reseating the graphics card....

You can try a new install of the OS; at the very least do a virus/malware/rootkit scans.

otherwise you should just get something new.....if your on a budget you can try overstock.....its a cheap way to get a windows 7 license....but do your homework some of the very cheap rigs are just that older and will get outdated....

i opend the pc shell and flipt it right side down , i removed one ram stick and with some magic it stopt shutting down i still dont know the probleme source but im getting a new pc this week and i'll try to sell this one by pieces !!! anyways thx guys for ure precious help

Quote Originally Posted by skitszo View Post
    why invest all that money into an old pentium d.......

2GB ram is ok if your running xp.... You want atleast 3gb for vista 4GB for windows 7 minimum.
    Windows Xp 32 will recognize 3.75g ram. You want between 4-8g nowadays.
    @ OP could be ram or possibly a HD issue. See if swapping to a different HD does anything.