Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What all can "happen" to a business who refuses service to gays?

So, there's a local establishment (literally) openly telling gays they will not host their "wedding" reception, I'm just curious since I've never been into the situation what all can happen when someone sues them?

EDIT: Screenshot
    Last edited by alturic; 2014-07-10 at 04:01 PM.

Depends on the jurisdiction.

10+ Year Old Account
    It differs from state to state. While there are laws preventing discrimination for hiring, there are few laws regarding actual clients/customers. Suing them will largely be a waste, more often than not. However, the publicity caused from it will probably hurt them pretty hard. More than a handful of businesses lately have gone under from terrible PR due to moves like that.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Anti-gay businesses are likely to go bust nowadays, not only will the gays boycott them but so will their supporters and their families.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's their right, as far as I'm aware. At least he is being very polite about it. If that was my wedding to my partner I'd be happy I got that than a "we hate fags" message back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Depends on the jurisdiction.
    Eh? So, it's not a matter of "gay marriage is legal in this state. discrimination against gays is illegal"?

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess this 'pedia article (if updated) explains it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_ri...ion_protection
    Last edited by alturic; 2014-07-10 at 04:05 PM.

It turns out discrimination is frowned upon and in almost all cases illegal. Proving it can be difficult, but once the ball starts rolling it should be taken care of.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Eh? So, it's not a matter of "gay marriage is legal in this state. discrimination against gays is illegal"?
    Discrimination laws and all that whatnot vary wildly from state to state. In addition some states are trying to pass "religious freedom" laws that could conceivably be used in this context where other states are actively legislating against discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Although either way social media can be painful.

their right if they don't want to serve gays.

you shouldn't be FORCED to serve someone you don't want to.. in the end you'd end up not getting money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It's their right, as far as I'm aware. At least he is being very polite about it. If that was my wedding to my partner I'd be happy I got that than a "we hate fags" message back.
    Because it's likely an employee that wrote the answer, not the homophobic bussiness owner.

It's fine because people that believe in poorly written, ancient fairy tales have more protection than sane people that are not part of the majority.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-07-10 at 05:25 PM.

Businesses have something called "The Right of Refusal", to which they legally can reject service, products, goods, etc to any customer for any reason. They are the sellers, the buyers want their goods but the business legally does not have to sell to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post

you shouldn't be FORCED to serve someone you don't want to.. in the end you'd end up not getting money.
    Well, that's how I feel about businesses too (they should be able to deny service to ANYONE, for ANY reason) but with the threads on MMO-C that talk about businesses discriminating I didn't think we actually had choices (as business owners) to deny service. Quite frankly I wouldn't deny service because a.) I'm not religious, b.) I'll take anyone's money and c.) I don't want to deal with any sort of ramifications for doing so. lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post

Discrimination shouldn't be encouraged in any form. One business owner doesn't want to serve gay people, another doesn't want to serve black people.

Please tell me how skin color is different than the sexual preferences a person is born with.

Private businesses are free to do as they please.

They may have denied several venues in the past.
    For example, Bar Mitzvah and NBA Finals Parties (LOL).

It is there facility, and they should be allowed to do as they please without repercussions from someone else's personal views.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardball View Post
    Discrimination shouldn't be encouraged in any form. One business owner doesn't want to serve gay people, another doesn't want to serve black people.

Please tell me how skin color is different than the sexual preferences a person is born with.
    It should be the business owners right to refuse service for any number of reasons, it should also be the right for people to boycott that business and laugh as they go bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardball View Post

A person isn't born gay? Just like people aren't born heterosexual, otherwise you wouldn't have people who get married to the opposite sex, even have kids and then get divorced and suddenly become gay.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Well, that's how I feel about businesses too (they should be able to deny service to ANYONE, for ANY reason) but with the threads on MMO-C that talk about businesses discriminating I didn't think we actually had choices (as business owners) to deny service. Quite frankly I wouldn't deny service because a.) I'm not religious, b.) I'll take anyone's money and c.) I don't want to deal with any sort of ramifications for doing so. lol
    I've only kicked people out, never denied entry. My business is a high-volume family entertainment business. I've had things such as young girls making out in plain sight of 4 year old and I've kicked them out.

10+ Year Old Account
    In Northern Ireland a couple who owned a hotel was force to pay compensation for refusing to service gays. In a country like the US this likely wouldn't happen, but the business would...well, likely lose business as people would boycott it. Or they wouldn't and the business would go on as usual.

They go out of business sooner or later because more and more customers aren't going to accept intolerance anymore.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.