Deleted

Help with Green Fire quest

Hey there. I recently got started on the whole Green Fire quest line, getting to the mini-boss before having trouble from the adds he spawns. Just wondering if it had any special tactics for him other than don't stand in the fire and kill things as they appear? Everything else in the quest seems to be based around using mechanics cleverly to make your way through instead of just "throw fire at it until it dies", so it's kind of odd if this is just pure damage. Admittedly, my gear is pretty shitty [ilvl 483], but I've seen people say they've managed to down the final boss on that.

I am not 100% sure about the encounter as destro as I did the mini boss as demo when I went through, however, make sure you have your def dc's ready and self heals set up. In case you don't have it already, glyph healthstone and macro it dark regen for a prett significant heal. Use kjc for better mobility. Use sac pact as often as needed/ able. Twilight ward is often overlooked but can come in very handy. Also ember tap is a very nice instant heal, and the questline itself is hardly about Dps as much as it is about surviving. When you get to the kan encounter be sure to have a couple purification potions if you find Dps to be an issue so that you can extend the "soft enrage" of the encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by slyphofspace View Post
    Hey there. I recently got started on the whole Green Fire quest line, getting to the mini-boss before having trouble from the adds he spawns. Just wondering if it had any special tactics for him other than don't stand in the fire and kill things as they appear? Everything else in the quest seems to be based around using mechanics cleverly to make your way through instead of just "throw fire at it until it dies", so it's kind of odd if this is just pure damage. Admittedly, my gear is pretty shitty [ilvl 483], but I've seen people say they've managed to down the final boss on that.
    EDIT: Didn't realize the wall of text that I wrote, tried to make it decent to read.

At that gear level it's got a higher emphasis on damage, but it's still all about using your shit right.
    First thing I would recommend is making macros to use the pitlords abilities and keybinding them. His charge is an absolute necessity, his breath is VERY important/borderline mandatory and his huge heal (think it's 200k, can't remember been a long time) on you is going to be extremely useful and will let you save globals/embers for the DPS check. Move pet to was also extremely useful during felhunters for me so I'd bind that too.
    Play pet sac (voidlord is what I did) because you can't have a pet out when the pitlord is enslaved (if I remember this correctly).
    Be sure to have an enslave demon cancel and use it BETWEEN the 2nd set of imps and 2nd set of fel hunters, enslave only lasts 5 minutes and if you don't refresh it you'll lose your pitlord during the 2nd set of felhunters and that's a bitch.
    First thing that you need to know about the encounter is that the first cataclysm he does is bugged and he stops it half way through the cast, so you don't need to have charge up for it. You should use charge right at the start of the fight under cooldowns/pots/trinkets for the dmg increase on your chaos bolts. I think you can use it 2 times before his first "real" cataclysm where you need it but it MIGHT be 3 times (check that out).

-Imps: For these you can do 2 things. What I did (same ilvl as you 483 way back) was put myself between Kan and the portal where the imps were spawning and burned them down with RoF and FnB casts right away. I was able to use the pitlords breath ability and dispel myself and hit the imps this way. The other way I see people do it is just kinda put immolate on the imps and RoF and spam chaos bolts into the boss for a while with the ember generation. Popping some CDs and using pitlord heal efficiently here will give you a good amount of extra embers.

-Felhunters: There are a million different ways to deal with these and I'm sure people will outline many of them but I'll talk about 2 strats that I commonly hear people talk about. First strat is the one I used and it is to send your pitlord LoS around the pillar to the right of the portal (as you're looking at it) a second before the felhunters spawn. Once you do the go to the LEFT side of the portal as they're spawning and drop RoF on them to get snap threat. I put havoc on the first one, chaos bolt the 2nd one to come out, shadowfury'd when the 3rd spawned and while they were stunned finished the first 2 off which were usually in shadowburn range then cleaned up the 3rd one. As soon as it's dead make sure to put your pitlord back on the boss, I was a little late on this sometimes and he was LoS to charge the next cataclysm.
    The second strat I hear people talk about commonly is to havoc the first one as it comes out, use the pitlord charge on the 2nd and chosbolt it+use the pitlords breath. I've never tried this but people have said it takes out the adds very quickly.

-Third add (name escapes me atm): I just focus'd him, kept banish on him the whole fight and basically ignored him, very simple.
    Then the add waves just repeat. For the second "3rd add" I just feared him and finished off the boss, though some people have told me they used the pitlord to tank him.

Some important things to keep in mind:
    Make sure you've always got embers for chaos bolts immediately after you stun the boss during cataclysm and he has his 200% (I think?) damage taken increase up for a few second. You can use the stun while your first chaosbolt is in the air and it will enable you to get 1 extra chaos bolt off in this window.
    Be very diligent with using the pitlords breath to dispel your debuffs, it makes the fight easier to not have to deal with the things these debuffs spawn when they expire.
    Portal and gateway are your friends but BE CAREFUL OF RANGES. Using my portal was the easiest, most efficient way to LoS chaos bolts for me but you have to make sure you stay in range of it or you'll eat a chaos bolt to the face when you were expecting to port. I set it up on the left side of the pillar directly behind the portal, right in the corner, and just ported LoS most chaos bolts (couple I had CDs up for and just ate the chaos bolt and used pitlord heal). You can use gatway once a minute, or as an "oh shit I fucked up my portal" as well or you can use it as a temporary agro dump on things like imps (useful if you're doing the passive AoE/extra ember strat) but be aware that while you're traveling between where you port from and where the end of your gateway is he can finish his cast and the chaos bolt will still hit you.
    If are having trouble with the hard enrage (curse of doom thing he puts on you) you can use a Purification potion just before the debuff expires and you'll basically double the amount of time you have to complete the encounter and it makes the "dps check" portion of it non-existent. If you go this route because you don't have enough damage you'll only be getting imps after your wave of add spawns (7 through 12 waves of adds will all be imps) so plan for that. You'll also probably not want to have the add feared as I suggest above if you're going significantly past enrage so you'll have to find a way to deal with it. Might be able to just take it off to the side, glyph fear and not worry about breaking it ever.

Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by Octa; 2014-07-15 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Octa View Post
    EDIT: Didn't realize the wall of text that I wrote, tried to make it decent to read.

At that gear level it's got a higher emphasis on damage, but it's still all about using your shit right.
    First thing I would recommend is making macros to use the pitlords abilities and keybinding them. His charge is an absolute necessity, his breath is VERY important/borderline mandatory and his huge heal (think it's 200k, can't remember been a long time) on you is going to be extremely useful and will let you save globals/embers for the DPS check. Move pet to was also extremely useful during felhunters for me so I'd bind that too.
    Play pet sac (voidlord is what I did) because you can't have a pet out when the pitlord is enslaved (if I remember this correctly).
    Be sure to have an enslave demon cancel and use it BETWEEN the 2nd set of imps and 2nd set of fel hunters, enslave only lasts 5 minutes and if you don't refresh it you'll lose your pitlord during the 2nd set of felhunters and that's a bitch.
    First thing that you need to know about the encounter is that the first cataclysm he does is bugged and he stops it half way through the cast, so you don't need to have charge up for it. You should use charge right at the start of the fight under cooldowns/pots/trinkets for the dmg increase on your chaos bolts. I think you can use it 2 times before his first "real" cataclysm where you need it but it MIGHT be 3 times (check that out).

-Imps: For these you can do 2 things. What I did (same ilvl as you 483 way back) was put myself between Kan and the portal where the imps were spawning and burned them down with RoF and FnB casts right away. I was able to use the pitlords breath ability and dispel myself and hit the imps this way. The other way I see people do it is just kinda put immolate on the imps and RoF and spam chaos bolts into the boss for a while with the ember generation. Popping some CDs and using pitlord heal efficiently here will give you a good amount of extra embers.

-Felhunters: There are a million different ways to deal with these and I'm sure people will outline many of them but I'll talk about 2 strats that I commonly hear people talk about. First strat is the one I used and it is to send your pitlord LoS around the pillar to the right of the portal (as you're looking at it) a second before the felhunters spawn. Once you do the go to the LEFT side of the portal as they're spawning and drop RoF on them to get snap threat. I put havoc on the first one, chaos bolt the 2nd one to come out, shadowfury'd when the 3rd spawned and while they were stunned finished the first 2 off which were usually in shadowburn range then cleaned up the 3rd one. As soon as it's dead make sure to put your pitlord back on the boss, I was a little late on this sometimes and he was LoS to charge the next cataclysm.
    The second strat I hear people talk about commonly is to havoc the first one as it comes out, use the pitlord charge on the 2nd and chosbolt it+use the pitlords breath. I've never tried this but people have said it takes out the adds very quickly.

-Third add (name escapes me atm): I just focus'd him, kept banish on him the whole fight and basically ignored him, very simple.
    Then the add waves just repeat. For the second "3rd add" I just feared him and finished off the boss, though some people have told me they used the pitlord to tank him.

Some important things to keep in mind:
    Make sure you've always got embers for chaos bolts immediately after you stun the boss during cataclysm and he has his 200% (I think?) damage taken increase up for a few second. You can use the stun while your first chaosbolt is in the air and it will enable you to get 1 extra chaos bolt off in this window.
    Be very diligent with using the pitlords breath to dispel your debuffs, it makes the fight easier to not have to deal with the things these debuffs spawn when they expire.
    Portal and gateway are your friends but BE CAREFUL OF RANGES. Using my portal was the easiest, most efficient way to LoS chaos bolts for me but you have to make sure you stay in range of it or you'll eat a chaos bolt to the face when you were expecting to port. I set it up on the left side of the pillar directly behind the portal, right in the corner, and just ported LoS most chaos bolts (couple I had CDs up for and just ate the chaos bolt and used pitlord heal). You can use gatway once a minute, or as an "oh shit I fucked up my portal" as well or you can use it as a temporary agro dump on things like imps (useful if you're doing the passive AoE/extra ember strat) but be aware that while you're traveling between where you port from and where the end of your gateway is he can finish his cast and the chaos bolt will still hit you.
    If are having trouble with the hard enrage (curse of doom thing he puts on you) you can use a Purification potion just before the debuff expires and you'll basically double the amount of time you have to complete the encounter and it makes the "dps check" portion of it non-existent. If you go this route because you don't have enough damage you'll only be getting imps after your wave of add spawns (7 through 12 waves of adds will all be imps) so plan for that. You'll also probably not want to have the add feared as I suggest above if you're going significantly past enrage so you'll have to find a way to deal with it. Might be able to just take it off to the side, glyph fear and not worry about breaking it ever.

Good luck and have fun!
    I believe he was asking about the boss before that. The floaty three faced dude I think

Deleted
    I was, but tactics are always helpful.

That they are and I was oh so lucky to not get a time to drop until I was a 520ish so it was fairly easy then.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanattos View Post
    I believe he was asking about the boss before that. The floaty three faced dude I think
    Good call lol. I don't even remember adds on the boss before it so I guess I auto assumed it was final boss....carry on! haha

For the three-faced boss, its a fight about positioning, not standing in bad, defensive cooldowns/self-healing, and some AoE.

I did it as destro with no pet, KJC, with the healthstone buff (40% over time) and self-shield (25% health sacrifice for a shield worth my whole health bar). I was about 496 ilvl at the time, mostly TI gear, some lower level pieces and some higher.

I pulled the boss over against one of the walls so that anytime he did the line of fire on the ground I could just move along the wall to not be in the fire. You can jump over the lines and take no damage from them if you need to move past one or more. The lines do not reach all the way across the room, one wall to the other, so if you find yourself cornered you can run to the other side of the room and have no fire around you.

For each wave of adds, I just waited for them all to reach me and then dropped a Rain of Fire on top of where I was standing. It was enough damage to kill them all and I could just focus on the boss. If a single RoF doesn't kill them all, you might need to FnB a couple casts.

The rest of the fight is just using your defensive abilities at the right times- ember tap, healthstone, self-shield, keep yourself alive. Those abilities should provide plenty of survivability when used at the right times. I went easy on the Chaos Bolt casts so I would always have an ember or two for healing. A good combo is the self shield and then an ember tap, since you'll sacrifice 25% health and then heal a little less than 25% health, keeping you near full. When you get down to around 50% pop a healthstone.

Good luck!

483 is low. If you get it with that gear you deserve an award. My lock was like 515 and probably took 15 tries. It's an alt so not super familiar with the class, but was still challenging even at 515 iLevel IMO.

Getting the fel hunters down before shit gets crazy was the hardest part IMO.

Hey man, in terms of that 3 faced dude, essentially just stand outside of the "fire" he puts on the ground, and just try to fire and brimstone the adds, and burn him. I would reccommend KJC for that fight, as the extra mobility helps out alot. but overall That guy is pretty easy, and i suspect youre having trouble due to low iLvl because i know i killed him first try with 0 issues without doing anything overly fancy. So i would say get your iLvL over 500-515 and give it another go.

If you want tips on how to kill the final boss, this video should help you out. Explains the fight in real time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3nl...gqPhV6ZeSqHexQ
    Last edited by Dottzx; 2014-07-16 at 08:46 PM.
    World of Warcraft PvP montages, guides, game updates and more!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/dottzgaming
    Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/dottzgaming/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/DottzGaming
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dottzgaming

I personally "ate" his chaos bolts. He got me down to around 20-30 % depending on my Soul Leech shield strength. It was surprisingly easy to heal up.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    483 is low. If you get it with that gear you deserve an award. My lock was like 515 and probably took 15 tries. It's an alt so not super familiar with the class, but was still challenging even at 515 iLevel IMO.

Getting the fel hunters down before shit gets crazy was the hardest part IMO.
    I did it in 471. Took about ~80 tries and 5-7 hours.

Deleted
    So good news is I've managed the three headed boss. Mannoroth's Fury, Grimoire of Sacrifice and ignoring the adds other than ROF. And I've gotten to Kanrethad, so never have to do the rest of it again on this character. So now I'm just working on actually beating him.

So good news is I've managed the three headed boss. Mannoroth's Fury, Grimoire of Sacrifice and ignoring the adds other than ROF. And I've gotten to Kanrethad, so never have to do the rest of it again on this character. So now I'm just working on actually beating him.
    I actually enjoyed the whole quest chain.

Slightly off topic, but is there any way to experience the whole thing again (not just boss fight)? I mean, without losing your green fire. :P

Deleted
    As far as I know, the only way to do that would be to create a new warlock, level it to 90 and start the quest to do it all again.

Wait, theres more after killing Kanrethad?! shit. :|
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

Quote Originally Posted by calinass View Post
    Wait, theres more after killing Kanrethad?! shit. :|
    Nope, all you have to do after you defeat Kanrethad is collect your green fire. What slyphofspace meant is that should you happen to leave the fight for whatever reason, your progress will be saved. You don't have to go through the prior objectives again in order to reach Karenthad.

Quote Originally Posted by Keolon View Post
    Nope, all you have to do after you defeat Kanrethad is collect your green fire. What slyphofspace meant is that should you happen to leave the fight for whatever reason, your progress will be saved. You don't have to go through the prior objectives again in order to reach Karenthad.
    Yep, thank god, or I would go insane...Im struggling enough as it is with Kanrethad, and I will be 100% honest theres no way I could have gotten here without guides.
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

Deleted
    you can do it with 465vilvl.

But if you are an average player & getting frustrated with the quest aim for much more ilvl.

You'll still have to master the phases but there will be less of them eg less opportunities for mistakes.