Fresh build and won't startup

So these last 2 days I've been trying to setup my new pc with zero luck. The entire setup is here. PCPartPicker didn't list any compatibility issues nor did people that replied to the thread with my build.

I removed everything from inside the Carbide 500r case aside from Mobo(ASUS Z97-A), CPU (i5-4670k), Heatsink (be quiet! Dark Rock 3), PSU (Antec 620w Bronze 80+), RAM (G.Skill Sniper DDR3 2133) and SSD (Crucial MX100 256gb).

Front Panel to PSU - Front panel molex to the psu
    Top Left of Mobo - 2x 4pin cpu power connectors
    Bottom Left of Mobo - Front panel HD Audio connector
    Top Right of Mobo - Heatsink fan, ram and 24pin connector
    Bottom Right of Mobo - 1x 6gb/s sata for the ssd and the front panel header connector

When I turn the psu to the on position everything does it's like 2 second startup where the fans begin to spin and then it shuts off. I press the power button on the front panel and nothing happens. There is a cable labeled 1394 which from what I understand is the firewire on the front panel but I do not need it and not to mention the mobo doesn't have a connector for it. The power led button comes on and is green all the way, the memok/dram led light comes on but is red and stays red for a few seconds. Nothing at all comes on though when I try to start it up. I did look at the mobo again and it does support my ram and it's speed. I've tried unhooking everything and re-hooking everything back up, nothing.

This is my very 1st build and lets say it's a painful one, lol.
    AddOns: Tim @ WoWInterface
    Characters: Mage, Priest, Devoker, Pally
    Battle Tag: Mysterio#11164
    Current PC Setup: PCPartPicker List

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have you made entirely sure that your power cable from the power button is connected to the right pins on the motherboard? It can be a pain in the ass to get it right, but it's very specific which ones make the computer turn on. Plus you need to make sure the ground side of the cable is on the ground pin while the other one for actually sending the signal to activate is on the right pin.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    There is no compatibility issues at all from what i see there is no issue there. So all fans spin up, cpu and gpu? Have you placed all the standoffs to the case and then the mobo? Re-sit the ram, check 1-3 then 2-4 pair-slots. For those 2 sec that is starts does it make any beeps? If so how do they sound? 1 beep, 2?

Try testing your PSU, sometimes not all the rails die and it can exhibit this behaviour.

Take everything out of the case and put it on a wooden/glass table or your motherboard box.
    Install just 1 stick of ram and use the onboard gpu. Plug in just the necessary things i.e. 24 pin connector and the 8pin connector for cpu. And take a screw driver and short the motherboard. How to short
    Last edited by Lolkrayd; 2014-07-10 at 11:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any ram from another or older system? I see the ram you have is 1.65v, and any Ivy Bridge/Haswell board can potentially have conflicts with that.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    About what Deltrus mentioned, the pins on mobo that connect to case start-reset-hdd activity, the easiest way to remember which is the +- etc is to have the letters of each connector facing outwards. Basically if you are placing say the power button where you should and you can read the letters of the connector its the right way

Take all cords and connectors out and plug them in again, make sure they're where they're supposed to be.

Do this: http://pcsupport.about.com/gi/o.htm?...s/ch000239.htm

Did you apply the thermal paste and attach your heatsink to your CPU correctly(and plug in the fan)?

If you have two sticks of RAM, try starting it up with each individually.

If none of that works, it may just be the power supply.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-07-11 at 12:05 AM.

@DeltruDisc - The mobo came with a header which makes it 100x easier to not mess up as the whole thing is labeled and you just place it on the front panel pins.

@Kostattoo - All the fans do the preliminary power on spinning but, nothing once the power button is pushed. I don't have my gpu installed atm as it's not needed to test to make sure I've connected things correctly. I've moved the ram around as well. I don't get any kind of beeping noises.

@Afrospinach - I guess I'll have to buy a multimeter and test it.

@Lolkrayd - I'll test that out.

@chazus - Only other ram I have is ddr2 which isn't supported on my new board.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't try shorting the mobo yet but I did try the shorting of the psu. I hooked up a case fan and put a paper clip in the green & a black socket with the results of both the psu and case fans spinning at a very low rpm. I'm not sure if that's normal or not?

- - - Updated - - -

Eating some dinner and getting back to it BUT, before I got my food I decided to turn the power and reset connectors the opposite way and the power button had life. I saw the little arrows on the connectors but, no where does it say which prong the arrows are supposed to be on.
    AddOns: Tim @ WoWInterface
    Characters: Mage, Priest, Devoker, Pally
    Battle Tag: Mysterio#11164
    Current PC Setup: PCPartPicker List

You only need a paperclip to test a PSU, you are basically shorting out the signal line to tell the psu it is on. If the fans are all spinning then chances are it is working. It is not a 100% proof though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixcWCrYpw3Y

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirax View Post
    @DeltruDisc - The mobo came with a header which makes it 100x easier to not mess up as the whole thing is labeled and you just place it on the front panel pins.
    Yeah, mine has one of those two, however sometimes it isn't 100% obvious which part of the cable is the ground spot, and which is the live spot. Maybe double check?

Also, you can make sure it works just by using a screwdriver (make sure the screwdriver end is metal and the part your hand holds is rubber!) and connecting the two pins with the metal end.
    "A flower.

I got everything up and running. Lots of thanks for all the help as it made me really look into it and the problem was the power connector and reset connector were on backwards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome! I think I had the same issue once or twice when I had my first brand new build. Enjoy the new computer!
    "A flower.