Finalizing Build

came to you guys looking for some help with building a comp and you guys were so helpful, thanks. was told about the haswell refresh so i waited. I've put together this build and just tossed in a Keyboard that looked useable and some speakers from one of chaud's recent monthly builds.

my budget is $3000
    Games/software: WoW on ultra and any new games i might want to pick up decently. I'll be doing CAD work on the system so decent amount of 3D rendering.

here's what i have put together. anything that screams OMG get something else?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($97.16 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($169.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($212.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($104.95 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($599.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($94.98 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Dell U2713HM 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($549.99 @ Best Buy)
    Keyboard: Thermaltake POSEIDON Z Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Speakers: Logitech Z523 30W 2.1ch Speakers ($77.36 @ Amazon)
    Total: $2812.34
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Deleted
    Yup, looks good.

The onyl thing I might consider is changing to IB-E or waiting for Haswell-E in the Fall season, but that might cost considerably more.

Deleted
    Looks good, 2 changes if i may, you can change the hdd for the WD AV-GP which is faster, 7200rpm and save 15bucks. The other really minor thing cause why not since you already saved the 15bucks to get G.Skill Trident X Series, still red theme, CL9.

- - - Updated - - -

About the keyboard, you happy with blue switches? might be an idea if you can drop by a shop and try the different color switches, red-blue-brown-black, since you don't buy mechanical keyboards everyday.

Deleted
    The build looks great, only thing I would change is the speakers but it's just nitpicking.

Logitech Z623

Granted more expensive (but yummy!) Ducky keyboard,

Ducky Shine 3 Black switches:

Red LED
    Orange LED
    White LED

Brown switch from Logitech:

Logitech G710+

Red switch from Corsair:

Corsair Vengeance K70
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2014-07-11 at 10:52 AM.

Deleted
    I've tried once black switches, and although was once, i would say they are probably great for shooters where you spam they key anyway, not so good for others like wow that you need control to key pressing. But that personal choice i guess. Despite that dunky keyboard as always a good choice.

The logitech is a beautiful keyboard, got it myself, brown switches with 0-rings (noise dumpening). If you don't mind the tall keys its a great option.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    Yup, looks good.

The onyl thing I might consider is changing to IB-E or waiting for Haswell-E in the Fall season, but that might cost considerably more.
    Yes, unless he went for the butchered 4 core 8 thread ones for the same price, he'd be looking at about a $300 increase... on the CPU alone. Probably another $100+ or more on the motherboard, and he'd want to get quad channel memory to get the best experience out of that system... no, overkill for gamers, even at $3k. At $3k I push people to pay more attention to higher quality peripherals... speaking of which:

I hate computer speakers. I hate them with a passion. They're quiet, have poor sound reproduction, they're quiet, and just plain old weak. Did I mention how quiet they are? That Logitech 2.1 setup is $78... for $12 more you could get something that would blow it out of the water by a long shot:

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-MediaOn...words=samson+3

These are the updated versions of the studio monitors I used to have, the Samson MediaONE 3A active monitors... now I have something even better, that if you can drop the money on, you'd be seriously pleased:

$300 for a pair. http://www.amazon.com/Presonus-Eris-...esonus+eris+e5

They're insanity. They sound superb, you hear every little detail, and they get louder than I even require, but if I ever needed to have my entire street hear what I like to listen to? Well, these babies could do it. I should also mention they're only about, oh, 1 foot tall?

But what about other peripherals? How is your chair? Your mouse? You didn't factor those in so I am going to guess they are okay but I want to make sure. How is your other audio gear? Decent headphones? Sound card maybe with a headphone amp? What about microphone? Everything matters!!! :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Red switch from Corsair:

Corsair Vengeance K70
    Cyanotical sent me one of these, God bless his warm warm heart. <3

I've since put away my Corsair K90 (which had firmware issues anyways...) and love this thing. Getting used to it was not an issue at all, frankly it doesn't feel a whole lot different to me, but who cares, I'm happy! It's awesome.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

thanks for the help again. I did a little more research and I'll be getting a cherry mx key sampler with red-black-blue-brown keys and some O-rings for testing. my mouse is a naga epic that I'm keeping from my current set up. love the studio monitors DeltrusDisc, but I'm not sure i have room for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tike View Post
    thanks for the help again. I did a little more research and I'll be getting a cherry mx key sampler with red-black-blue-brown keys and some O-rings for testing. my mouse is a naga epic that I'm keeping from my current set up. love the studio monitors DeltrusDisc, but I'm not sure i have room for them.
    How much room do you have? The Samson's have 3 inch woofers while the Presonus' have 5 inch woofers. I was trying to find some of the smaller ones, but I can't find any. >_< The Samson 3s are really quite tiny, though.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominitry View Post
    Better invest to some nice ass cooler because otherwise your computer is going to heat up so much
    Are you a bot (? lol) your comments are so random. Did you not see the H100i in OP?

Deleted
    Usually you offer advice when you know something about the subject and since there is already a higher end cooling solution listed it's not really helpful, appreciate the intent to help though.

My current set up is 2 desk top speakers 1/2 hidden behind my monitor because of how small my space is and a woofer under my desk. from what i can see of the Samson's it is 2 items about the size of the woofer which i don't have room for, though i could just be really dense and those in the picture are for the desk top, wish it gave more dimensions other than the woofer.

edit: never mind, went to the 5-inch woofer and i don't have room for that at all lol. my desk is prob the next thing that needs an upgrade.
    Last edited by tike; 2014-07-11 at 11:56 PM.

Deleted
    Well i am by no means any expert, but from what i've heard, if your room is small (since you mentioned small desk) then too powerful speakers are getting wasted since you won't be able to get up close to full. The area acoustics after some point can even make the sound worse - sound distortion. Or i could just speaking out of my @ss here but i heard something like that when i was in a pub-lounge during construction with the sound tec fellas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tike View Post
    My current set up is 2 desk top speakers 1/2 hidden behind my monitor because of how small my space is and a woofer under my desk. from what i can see of the Samson's it is 2 items about the size of the woofer which i don't have room for, though i could just be really dense and those in the picture are for the desk top, wish it gave more dimensions other than the woofer.

edit: never mind, went to the 5-inch woofer and i don't have room for that at all lol. my desk is prob the next thing that needs an upgrade.
    Would love to see a picture of your desk. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Well i am by no means any expert, but from what i've heard, if your room is small (since you mentioned small desk) then too powerful speakers are getting wasted since you won't be able to get up close to full. The area acoustics after some point can even make the sound worse - sound distortion. Or i could just speaking out of my @ss here but i heard something like that when i was in a pub-lounge during construction with the sound tec fellas.
    That's for people who are doing serious sound work. If you're just listening to music for pleasure, then simply following the triangle solution will pretty much give you a fantastic listening experience in most any environment.

"A flower.

my desk is ~26 inches across. if that gives you a better idea of how small of a space I'm working with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy crap that's tiny! >_< Can't blame you for not being able to afford them the space they need. =/ Guess the best thing I could suggest then if you wanted to go for them in another fashion... wall-mount them. Or get studio monitor stands.
    "A flower.

as I'm waiting for parts to arrive I've been planing and reading on how to manage air flow and mount the H100i. I've read to run in a pull set up through the radiator but get about a 50/50 split on whether to have them as intake or exhaust. seems to be you are either bring warm air into your case as it passes over the rad or passing warm air from the case over the rad as it leaves. anyone have any ideas which would be best?

also my case corsair 500R has 2 120mm intakes on the front, a 200mm intake on the side and a 120mm exhaust on the back, add 2 more 120mm for the rad and w/e the power supply runs. if i go with the rad fans are exhaust, i think i might want to flip the back 120mm to intake to get net positive pressure. if i go with intake the only exhaust fans would be the power supply and the 120mm on the back, which doesn't sound like enough.

all this has my head kinda spinning.

the case doesn't have air filters on most intake spots so I'm considering getting some filters, maybe something like DEMCifilters. any thoughts?
    Last edited by tike; 2014-07-18 at 03:40 AM.

Deleted
    Yeah those are nice, too bad you have to pay extra for those.
    About the H100i ideally with 2 fans, you want air pushed throught the radiator and out the case. You can have them at pull too won't be many degrees difference. Also radiator on top of the case.

15+ Year Old Account
    And you should probably flip the PSU around so that the fan is facing down. That way it won't affect your case airflow and you'll have two 120's and one 200 as intake and three 120's as exhaust netting you nice positive pressure.

Or you could even have the rad as intake and only leave one 120 exhaust which might work as well. The warm air will find it's way out regardless only problem is what effect will it have on your GPU temps and which one you value more, cool CPU or GPU.