[To the writers] you ever feel alone / isolated?

Writing is often something one does in a room all alone with only your thoughts to keep you company. Not that I mind, I like doing it, but at times I feel isolated and see the room as my world and the writing as the people I talk with. This can be both negative and positive and I wondered if anyone else felt like this at times? And then when I talk to my friends it's like whatever I did in my room, whatever I wrote, is gone and meaningless, they don't care, so there is no point for me to talk about it.

Still, writing is the most important thing in my life, but I keep feeling that isolation, and even though I write for me, (striving to be an author), I want to talk about it with people, much because it is an enormous part of my life. All in all I guess it is one of the sacrifices an author (aspiring) have to go through.

/rant over

Don't know the real meaning about this, guess I just needed to get it out. (my friends don't like reading)

Writing does tend to have a lot more solitary moments than other professions (and I mean, for good reason - how the hell else would.you be able to concentrate to pen that shit down?), but it doesn't necessarily lead into isolation. Some of the best writing I'd had came from days off I took with loved ones and the funny, dumb, and momentarily meaningful stuff I could glean from those experiences.

As for being able to talk about your writings with friends who don't share the same passion for reading, look at it this way. I'm a registered nurse which means tons of funny, anonymous (totally non-HIPPA violating, I swear!) stories at the hospital, but while I have some folks who love hearing about them, not all my friends want to hear stories of which hole I stuck my last patient's meds in. The point is, you're not always going to be share details about your profession and interests within your circle of friends, but you're lucky to live in a day and age where it's easier to find that group of people, whether it be forums or writing circles from local colleges, etc.

And remember this, too: you aren't just a writer just like I'm not just another insurance liability/grunt for my hospital. You're a uniquely individual human being with different interests and passions. Just because you can't share one aspect of that such as your writing with your friends doesn't mean you can't share another, and if you can't do that either... well, why are you guys even friends, then? If so, look for that group of folks where you feel you belong. All it takes is a little resourcefulness and getting out of that room once in awhile.

Good luck with the writing!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm lonely regardless of my Creations I have in my mind. Usually when I get creative in my universes. It makes me feel part of something. It's kinda weird Tbh.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

When I write, I don't feel alone or isolated at all. It's engrossing. I suppose not having a social network which supports that aspiration can be trying, though. I don't know how my family and friends would react if I had just tried to be a writer after university. There's a perception among people that "aspiring authors" think they're in some way special, or better, or whatnot, and people can easily resent that. Even though, at least for me, writing seems more like something I'm compelled to do, something I must do to exorcise whatever demons I may have. The resentment can be especially strong if you have the luxury of writing with no income while you try and "make it." Personally, I was a lawyer for a long time, and wrote as a hobby, but as I got into my 30s my writing became more and more important to me, and my job became more a job and less a vocation. So I don't know how it is particularly to be the struggling, aspiring author.