Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

1,000,000 Poly models wearing gear made of 12 and a half polygons

Howdie,

I have not played Warcraft for about a year but I got a free weeks pass so popped back to see how things were going.

I have seen a few posts on MMO detailing the new Warlords gear and it just seems a bit off, I mean did you see the Death Knight one? Yes it has no belt buckle or shoulders but still it looks like a really bad attempt at cos play. The gear looks like it is made from over sized foam.

All the tiered sets, that I have seen, are similar in that they came from 2003. Obviously some people may love them as they are or simply state that they transmog everything they wear with their favourite set anyway. I assume this is deliberate by ATVI in that, due to Mogging, they can release sparkly sets to tempt people to new areas.

Either way it just seems like a very odd decision, considering updated graphics are on the agenda, to step back so far in terms of armour models. I have not seen anything to suggest they will be releasing Moggable sets on the store, or did I miss something?

Deleted
    I, uh.. I like the new Armor Models alot and thi--

User has been lynched

Haha, I know it's quite pathetic when you think about it... All this work on 'improved character models' then hide it under bunch of low res armor

I mean sure, you need to think about performance but other games do fine with models/armor that looks miles better.

After 9yrs of playing though it doesn't matter so much, everything could be red and blue cubes and I'd still whack it with my 10x20 pixel sword with one of my 20 spells illustrated by 2 attack animations.. I guess that's what happens when you get old

Quote Originally Posted by Energon View Post
    Howdie,

I have not played Warcraft for about a year but I got a free weeks pass so popped back to see how things were going.

I have seen a few posts on MMO detailing the new Warlords gear and it just seems a bit off, I mean did you see the Death Knight one? Yes it has no belt buckle or shoulders but still it looks like a really bad attempt at cos play. The gear looks like it is made from over sized foam.

All the tiered sets, that I have seen, are similar in that they came from 2003. Obviously some people may love them as they are or simply state that they transmog everything they wear with their favourite set anyway. I assume this is deliberate by ATVI in that, due to Mogging, they can release sparkly sets to tempt people to new areas.

Either way it just seems like a very odd decision, considering updated graphics are on the agenda, to step back so far in terms of armour models. I have not seen anything to suggest they will be releasing Moggable sets on the store, or did I miss something?
    Actually, some of the old gear WILL be getting a visual boost as well. Most of the vanilla/tbc/wrath gear was actually just painted onto the model, using the model's poly count to create the texture. Since the model's poly counts will be going up, so too, will the armors'.

But did you see the even bigger belt models. Nice man!!!!!

The gear is absolutley terrible.

I can see many subs getting canceled when most people hit cap and realise unless you mythic raid, you will look crap

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post

I can see many subs getting canceled when most people hit cap and realise unless you mythic raid, you will look crap
    Are they removing transmog?

Quote Originally Posted by hookus View Post
    Are they removing transmog?
    No, he's just being dramatic like every other person who is on the Blizzard witch hunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post

Yeah, ignoring transmog, looking crap is far more important than engaging gameplay said no one ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbag888 View Post
    After 9yrs of playing though it doesn't matter so much, everything could be red and blue cubes and I'd still whack it with my 10x20 pixel sword with one of my 20 spells illustrated by 2 attack animations.. I guess that's what happens when you get old
    I feel the same way. Couldn't care less what my character or armor looks like, one of the reasons I've never bothered to transmog things, it's just a waste of time. WoW isn't about looking super awesome, if I wanted that I'd go play one of the hundreds of hyper realistic games that look like real life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, at least it's noticeable even if it is minute. [Left: Classic] [Right: Warlords]

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I feel the same way. Couldn't care less what my character or armor looks like, one of the reasons I've never bothered to transmog things, it's just a waste of time. WoW isn't about looking super awesome, if I wanted that I'd go play one of the hundreds of hyper realistic games that look like real life.
    For starters my main has been a Troll hunter for the longest time.. NOTHING looks good on a troll hunter except maybe T1 Giantstalker if that.
    I dig games that look great but I still play wow cause well I've been doing it for too long

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Blithe View Post
    Well, at least it's noticeable even if it is minute. [Left: Classic] [Right: Warlords]

Wow this further hammers the nail in man. If I had been presented with the right Image I wouldn't have been able to tell if it's the new model or not.

There's hardly anything to get excited about for next expac... I feel so sad that I'll probably end up buying it still. I guess on the plus side it's good I resisted buying D3-ROS

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    You look crap in Timeless gear. In fact, following the QQ threads on this forum every tier armour in MoP got the "worst evah" treatment.

Maybe people will quit over the LFR gear though...but still...I will transmog my gear just like I am transmogging it now and hunting transmogs.

Paladin T2, Warrior T6, Priest T5, Deathknight in Dragonplate lookalike, Warlock T1 or T2...or T7...or....
    Yeah, of course the default leveling gear will look like something my cat upchucked, but many of the raiding tier sets, both new and old look incredibly good at the moment on new human females. For all the crap that newer sets get, I'm actually a pretty big fan of Rogue T16H and T17M. In terms of the classic sets on new models, I'm not seeing how the gear takes away from the new models. My Rogue T2, Rogue T3, and Druid T3 all look somehow even better on the new models than the old.

7+ Year Old Account
    but but...MY opinion is better then yours!!!oneone11

I might actually opt to not display my helmet now. Since I play troll/tauren and undead mostly, there's parts that are automaticly not covered so... The new sets actually look good though? You really can't compare them to the quality the old character models have... Or maybe I'm just blind.

Edit: By "look good" I mean they seem to be of high quality, much higher then T1 or w/e. How people like them visualy is their own opinion ofcourse.

Meanwhile in Wildstar...

Deleted
    The main issue for me is simply the fact that chest- and legpieces look like they're painted onto the character.

Difference is that the new sets use in fact high-res textures and high polygon counts, I guess your primary concern is the paladin set that looks almost exactly like one from BC only in HD. Of course they didn't just copy things over here.

You should understand that the only pieces of a gear set that have models of their own are currently shoulders, helmets and belts (if not flat). The upper body, legs and robe models are and have always been derived from the player models directly and are only re-skinned with the armor's texture, gloves and boots use a generic "extended" model that is also worked into the player models themselves. That means, if you have your 1,000,000 polygon new model then it's effectively not covered by a low res armor model for the most part, it's covered by a low res texture at most if you choose to mog gear from before T7. The polygon concerns are merely valid for the 3 armor parts that explicitly have models separate from the player model, but then again these don't really cover much of the base model.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    The main issue for me is simply the fact that chest- and legpieces look like they're painted onto the character.
    That's a side effect of what is written above. Textures are in fact painted onto the character model. If some of the gear currently seems off in that regard it'll be fixed for release, you can be sure of this, but I guess it won't go much further than what you see on live realms today.

[...]

Either way it just seems like a very odd decision, considering updated graphics are on the agenda, to step back so far in terms of armour models.
    Thing is, classic and BC gear has its fans. Things only got better after WotLK introduced gear that was inspired by actual armor displayed by more polygons, high res textures and darker, less flashy coloring, but people started complaining about boring and uninspired sets. After Cata armor got more colorful again with some hilariously unfitting design choices as well but I guess that's what people expect from Warcraft after all.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2014-07-10 at 01:44 PM.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know... I can notice the difference between my low-res character and high-res one. It's not as noticeable as any of the new models but it's still noticeable and it doesn't bother me too much.