Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Meanwhile in the US - What in the hell is going on in Yellowstone?

Before we start, it should be stated that because these two articles are from a site called 'The Inquisitr' (which I assume is the American equivalent of the UK's Daily Mail I suppose?) this could be complete bullshit or as usual since it's some government mumbo jumbo and what-not, most people don't have a damn clue what's going on anyway.

First article is about how supposedly 'the National Guard is preparing for something big', while of course showing a recorded meeting of the Guard on crappy video graphics that may be COMPLETELY and utterly out of context. Also since the dude who wastes your time for the first minute or so names his little "program" of his the "Bunker Report" the dude's most likely batshit paranoid crazy.

Second article is about some supposed 'increased thermal activity' that has been occurring over the past few days. Also of note, is that the channel that the video was posted on is called "Higher Truth Channel", so once again it seems there's more batshit paranoid crazy people out and about taking advantage of the situation.

So overall what do you guys think? As usual, it just seems like some stupid weird shit going about with people ready to pounce and take advantage of people that are fucking scared and have no idea what the hell to do. But I guess we'll see.

Edit: I changed the title. I should have never titled it that in the first place sorry guys.
    Last edited by mrcoolguyry; 2014-07-12 at 11:14 PM.

Yellowstone is sitting on top of a super volcano so any number of super crazy shit could happen.

Also, the whole 'murica thing is really stupid.

15+ Year Old Account
    My philosophy when it comes to Yellowstone has always been if something happens, I'm fucked, so why waste time worrying about it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Considering it is a super volcano and a catastrophic erupion would be like 10 000+ St Helens I'm sure they would be mildly helpful
    Interesting that a tabloid get this kind of "info" while no other media does and that USGS stays silent
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Dragons are coming back, that's what is really going on. Remember that one movie where dragons destroyed everything? Pretty much that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingoism View Post
    Dragons are coming back, that's what is really going on. Remember that one movie where dragons destroyed everything? Pretty much that.
    As long as they are commanded by that Games of Throne babe I'm all for it.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I don't see how "murrican" this is, unless we label everything that goes on in this country that now.

anyway, yellowstone park is the site of a super volcano. think of it as a black head pimple (gross comparison but one of the most accurate). there have been signs of activity going on for decades now. one of the most prominent is the main lake in yellowstone ( I forget what it's called) is rising. so if they are sending in national guard into the area I would only assume it's help get people out in the case of something happening. that being a vocalic eruption no human has ever witnessed.

If the super volcano erupts, there isn't anything the national guard will be able to do that's for damn sure.

15+ Year Old Account
    You've heard it here first, Deathwing will be emerging from Yellowstone and creating a real life Cataclysm.

Yeah I don't get how it's Murica.......

The National Guard appear to be coming up with a disaster plan for an event that is perfectly possible. Seems sensible to me, dunno why anyone would bash the US for having a disaster plan.

Dragons are coming back, that's what is really going on.
    Nah, it's not dragons. It's the dinosaurs. What really happened millions of years ago at Yellowstone is that the dinosaurs all retreated to their secret volcano lair. Now their plan is ready, and they will emerge and destroy the world unless we give them....

ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    As long as they are commanded by that Games of Throne babe I'm all for it.
    I'm sure they'll be here as soon as they show up in the TV show....
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    We do not want YOU in Europe.

A more reliable site. It's probably a good sign of things to come, but I don't think it'll come to a head anytime soon.

Nothing really to worry about as of today. I guess you have seen the pictures of melted roads that has swarmed internet?

Last few days were very hot in yellowstone, combined with the fact the ground is hotter around yellowstone due to hotspot beneath the earth you can see a road melting. I believe at this time magma is still ~10km below which basicaly means nothing can happen. If it moved up to 2-3km then we should worry but again that could take thousand of years. But yeah the thermal activity has increased last few years.

And at last, only like 90 years were monitored out of ~640.000years since last super eruption so pretty much no human being is able to tell you what will and when it can happen, also NONE know what are the signs of such eruption comming. Also why those doomsayers dont mention regular yellowstone eruptions but always sell it on their webpages/youtube channels as the supereruption thats going to happen that would destroy whole USA?

holy fucking shit. rain of fire predicted it, it's not a super volcano under there. it's a giant broodmother dragon.

i don't care if i would die, and i know i would, seeing dragons would be the coolest thing ever.

but yeah, that super volcano is scary. being on the east coast, i'm out of the blast area. but ash and shit's gonna be all over everything.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    but yeah, that super volcano is scary
    Yellowstone is not a volcano/super volcano /facepalm

Deleted
    No matter what they plan, if that super volcano erupts, half of the us will be gone and the half the world covered in ash sending us back into an ice age.

The one to go off most likely is the one in Europe (below Laacher Sea in Germany), goes off every 12000 years, last 12900 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inb4 the pseudoscience claptrap of "the volcano last erupted *insert number of years around 340,000* years ago, and it erupts every *similar number of years+1* so we should all be afeared!" crap.

Last I checked, there were no "imminent signs of doom" about the super volcano erupting, as the geological activity has fluctuated up and down to no appreciable effect what these past few decades.

That being said... People in europe and elsewhere probably shouldn't be feeling all smug that they'd be safe and sound... An eruption that large would surround the globe with a cloud of ash so thick it'd likely end civilization as we know it. Of course, an eruption might not happen for hundreds of thousand of years, if ever.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Inb4 the pseudoscience claptrap of "the volcano last erupted *insert number of years around 340,000* years ago, and it erupts every *similar number of years+1* so we should all be afeared!" crap.

Last I checked, there were no "imminent signs of doom" about the super volcano erupting, as the geological activity has fluctuated up and down to no appreciable effect what these past few decades.

That being said... People in europe and elsewhere probably shouldn't be feeling all smug that they'd be safe and sound... An eruption that large would surround the globe with a cloud of ash so thick it'd likely end civilization as we know it. Of course, an eruption might not happen for hundreds of thousand of years, if ever.
    They have noticed the European super volcano to increase in activity over the past years. Same thing that's happening in to the Yellowstone hotspot (Then again yellowstone hotspot hasn't been dormant for a very long time and it still hasn't blown).

That obviously doesn't mean they'll go off, but generally when pressure starts building it doesn't stop building pressure.

Then again it happens very slowly, something that spreads over thousands of years.

The only thing you can say is that one is more likely to go off due to events in the past.
    Last edited by mmoc19ee780deb; 2014-07-12 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Of course, an eruption might not happen for hundreds of thousand of years, if ever.
    It will happen and its a well known fact among geologists. but yeah as of today we are 100% safe and for atleast 50 more years its impossible for it to go off