Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.

Will we ever move past the petty shit?

I truly hope humanity as a whole can move past this stupid shit, and come together. But I fucking doubt it, it's such a shame too. Humanity can do so much good, but we have to get past the petty shit we fight over. I can't help but feel that all debate is just thrown out the the window, so little reason and simple courtesy exist when someone tries to have a friendly debate.

It's a damn shame folks just can't try to talk anymore. I had to break up a fight between two dear friends tonight when they were talking about the tesla vs edison debate. They came to blows.. called each other some of the most horrible, disgusting shit, wished cancer and death to family. It got brutal, quick. Both guys were stone cold sober, and I've been all evening trying to figure out what happened to us as a people. I see a lot of it going on in some issues. No real discussion, insults are levied 5 minutes in.

Have we devolved into shit slinging apes??

(Yes, i'm fucked up believe belief, and this post is a bit disjointed) I don't think that changes the validity of the question

No, probably not.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least you know Tesla and Edison were smarter than your friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

15+ Year Old Account
    Heh that they were both willing to diss either one of them when both were great persons is amusing in itself
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that's called being a human being. Mother Teresa isn't the average human behavior.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Deleted
    Humans are descended from apes. Just because we can use tools and look different doesn't mean we're not still fucking apes.

As a whole humans can be pretty awful, but they can be pretty amazing too. Lumping the rest of us with two of your friends that flew off the deep end seems silly though.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Devolved? Have we ever stopped being shit-slinging apes?

So your friends argue and that means humanity isn't progressing?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Devolved? Have we ever stopped being shit-slinging apes?
    Yes we have it just take a massive local+ incident/catastrophy in order for us apes to get our shit in order
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle. George Orwell

Anyways, humanity is a crap shoot.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

How could anyone take the side of Edison?

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    Yeah, the guy was kind of a dickhead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just imagine what we could've accomplished already and could accomplish in the future if the entire world was united. But no, we have to kill each other over retarded opinions that mean literally nothing (religion) if we happen to disagree with it. It's like saying it's hot outside and someone else says it isn't. It means jack fucking shit. It effects nothing and no one. Same as swearing in front of someone (not directed at them with the intention of offending) and they get offended. Really? You let yourself get offended which is why you find it offensive. It means nothing if you don't let it.

I hate the way the world is and I hate that I won't see it change much in my lifetime. But like I tell people who take it all for granted... we're still ridiculously lucky to be born where we are in the universe, where we are on earth (free/not poor country), what we are (could've been anything), who and how we are and in the time we are. If you really think about that for a minute it's almost unfathomable just how lucky we were.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    I've never really heard any legitimate claims against Edison other than possibilities, and how he wasn't a perfect superhero who invented everything only by himself.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    I've never really heard any legitimate claims against Edison other than possibilities, and how he wasn't a perfect superhero who invented everything only by himself.
    Well, his shrewd business practices earn him a dickhead status in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
    Just imagine what we could've accomplished already and could accomplish in the future if the entire world was united. But no, we have to kill each other over retarded opinions that mean literally nothing (religion)
    Only a small percentage of wars were caused by religion, and yes that does correlate to death count as well. With the number of religious wars being about 7% and the number of deaths caused by said wars totaling about 2% of total war deaths.

This is a pretty good article about it: http://www.jonsorensen.net/2012/09/1...-cause-of-war/

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Well, his shrewd business practices earn him a dickhead status in my book.
    I'll take the dick that invented the light bulb (as well as multiple other revolutionary inventions) any day.
    Last edited by spinner981; 2014-07-13 at 08:37 AM.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Deleted
    It's ego that drives this petty shit so no, we will never get past it as long as people don't get the idea that we have reason to control our emotions.

We are the only species that actually can decide at any given moment what we want to do. Most people just ignore that and let their emotions drive them to whatever shitville that road leads at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
    It's a damn shame folks just can't try to talk anymore. I had to break up a fight between two dear friends tonight when they were talking about the tesla vs edison debate. They came to blows..
    Had they been drinking?

Or stupiding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Only a small percentage of wars were caused by religion, and yes that does correlate to death count as well. With the number of religious wars being about 7% and the number of deaths caused by said wars totaling about 2% of total war deaths.

I'll take the dick that invented the light bulb (as well as multiple other revolutionary inventions) any day.
    I'm not saying the guy wasn't intelligent, just that morally, he was an asshole.