Deleted

[Cardio] Runner, Injured in Knee, need alternative ideas.

Basically I run 5-8km 3 or 4 times a week, and don't do anything else really, but I have pain in the muscle from football 2 days ago that's behind the knee and I could feel it a little as I ran yesterday (but it didn't get worse, I could just feel it). Can I keep running? I once hurt my knee cycling and I could still run fine with that.

If not I want some alternative ideas that mean I can still exercise as much without impairing my knee while it gets better.

10+ Year Old Account
    swimming maybe, I would just rest for a few days though, let it heal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    swimming maybe, I would just rest for a few days though, let it heal.
    Heh, so obvious yet I never thought of it ^^ Thanks very much. But if I can avoid taking breaks I will, I'm stubborn that way.

When you say it's the muscle behind your knee, do you mean the lower part of the hamstring, or literally in the knee? In either case, I'd take a couple days off and see if it feels better. If it doesn't feel worse when running, you're usually OK though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    Heh, so obvious yet I never thought of it ^^ Thanks very much. But if I can avoid taking breaks I will, I'm stubborn that way.
    swimming can be worse for knee injuries.

It sucks, but as someone who's had knee problems, I'd say lay off it for a week or so. A small time off it is better than making it worse and being injured for months.

The whole macho push through the pain crap, is just idiotic, actual pain (as opposed to just tired muscle aches) is your body's way of telling you something is wrong, listen to it.

Have you tried swimming? It's generally very low impact and while it does involve knee movement it's not nearly as extreme as jogging or sprinting can be.

Its probably best to rest for a bit if its really bad and you cant step on your feet to establish a proper running form.

But dont let the bad injuries stop you from doing anything and going all emo mode cuz of it. You can usually do something like swimming or even walking instead. Remember its normal and dont try to be in the best shape everyday, it will only lead to more pain, just like idealistic thinking. Train smart

Oh yeah also, what i noticed is, usually doing some simple movement helps alot in overcoming an injury, so i wouldn't advise complete inaction.
    Last edited by meheez; 2014-07-18 at 12:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    Its probably best to rest for a bit if its really bad and you cant step on your feet to establish a proper running form.

But dont let the bad injuries stop you from doing anything and going all emo mode cuz of it. You can usually do something like swimming or even walking instead. Remember its normal and dont try to be in the best shape everyday, it will only lead to more pain, just like idealistic thinking. Train smart

Oh yeah also, what i noticed is, usually doing some simple movement helps alot in overcoming an injury, so i wouldn't advise complete inaction.
    I was going to say this. It gives you a break from the high impact but also keeps the same relative muscle groups in action.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    You've gotten the alternative "Swimming" however obviously it requires to to have a place to swim. However, if your "Gym" doesn't have a swimming hall, try the "rowing" machine. That one help build on the upper body, more around biceps area and add to cardio.

Deleted
    DDP Yoga. It is amazing.