need new graphics card

I don't really know much about graphics cards or much else inside a computer tbh and my graphics card is showing signs i need a new one but how do i know if a graphics card is better than the one i have and if i can have it in my computer any help would be grateful. I have an alienware aurora which i got 4 years ago and it has a radeon HD 5700 in it. If you want to give a suggestion of a graphics card that would be a good upgrade that would be nice too, I mostly play mmo's and can't really afford anything over £150 ($255).
    Last edited by jac9996; 2014-07-13 at 12:02 PM.

Programmer here, so others will likely have better suggestions.

I upgraded from a Radeon HD 4750 (from memory) 512MB. I upgraded to a Radeon 7790 a few months back, as it was relatively inexpensive and I intend on building a new computer in about a years time.

It plays MMOs like WoW and Wildstar on the highest possible settings and games like Battlefield 4/Hardline on Medium-High settings (Ultra settings is playable, but I prefer to have zero chance of lag when there is explosion spam).

A chart that may help you is http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Using responses from this thread (and possibly the above link) as a guide, your local computer shop will be able to help determine which cards your current rig can support.

15+ Year Old Account
    Radeon R7-265 2GB, under $160
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-868-_-Product

or, for a little bit more right at your budget, the R9-270x or Nvidia GTX 760
    Last edited by moremana; 2014-07-13 at 12:18 PM.

based on nothing but your parameter of 150 quid and xeroer's posted site the GTX 760 looks like the single best option.
    there may be other benchmark comparison sites, but the passmark series seems to be fairly well respected. there may also be other cards not on that site, but they seem thorough to me.

i'd advise doing some research of your own with the things that've been said here as sort of guides. but only you know all of your parameters.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Deleted
    R9 280X at £149.99 is serious business, its awesome price for that card. I'd grab it fast before the sale is over.

I am also assuming that your power supply can deliver required power for it.