Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Cat owners! Recommend me a litter brand

My current litter doesn't clump the pee like advertised on the bag. So when I scoop the litter, the pee filled litter just falls through my scoop. I have a very large cat and when he pees, he pees like a bucket load. I need something that will really clump his pee and make it easier to scoop it out.

I usually buy the arm and hammer multi cat brand it clumps very well and I find its less dusty than other brands. It's expensive though and some of the types like the ultra last and the double duty my cant won't use because the put a pine scent in it. I find the cheaper litters usually don't scoop well.
    Thanks to Shyama for my beautiful signature
    Naobí 2/7 Mythic

I use this stuff:

http://www.petcircle.com.au/product/...wYIaAqIA8P8HAQ

Doubt you'd have this brand, but basically it's sawdust concentrated into pellets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account

Tidy Cats

This stuff rocks.
    Last edited by lokithor; 2014-07-13 at 01:40 PM.

Deleted
    Your neighbors garden (Just kidding, don't flay me people) i use catsan, it's pretty decent, before that i used a type of pellet based one but it wasn't the best on odor prevention.

This is, and naturally it clumps ect and my cat has the habit of pushing it over the patch so it helps

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/

It's true to it's name.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I use http://www.preciouscat.com/

I switched away from World's Best, actually.

Here's a site you might find useful. http://www.catinfo.org/?link=litterbox

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Bookmarked, thanks! I'm moving next week and plan to get new litter boxes and such. Bastards are getting kinda their own sun room, all glass, that I plan to populate with pigmy plum palms... Fun to say...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

started using Arm n Hammer'd new Clump and Seal line. very good as far as cat litter goes. pricy for litter but keeps smell down for my family's two adult male cats and it's easy as TBC destro warlock rotation to clean out since it's quite fine compared to most litter. it also doesn't track too much. overall i gives the stuff an A
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

I used to always use fresh step, it smells nice and clumps well. Funny story, One day I switched brands and my cat started pooping outside the litter box. She would not go in her box, I thouht she was sick. She wasn't. Turns out she did not like the fact that I switched litter brands. When I went back to the old brand she was fine. I've never had a cat that was picky about litter. But she was always a weirdo.

I want to add that I used to work for a guy who bred show cats and he used corn or weat (something like that) based litter, it's supposedly safer, (although I've never had issues with normal stuff.) But it was awful! It did not hide smell, in fact it made everything smell worse, and it did not clump. Stick to clay based litter. The whole "natural" and crap like that makes for awful litter.
    Last edited by Amarisus; 2014-07-13 at 08:53 PM.

I actually buy a pine based litter. It comes out of the package in little pellets, and as the cats pee on them they start to break down. The pine shreds dry really fast and actually mask the urine smell so the area smells great so you only have to scoop poop.

You only need a very thin layer of this litter (about an inch) because as the pine pellets break down it creates a fuller box or shreds.
    I change out the litter once all the pellets are broken down and are saturated. (Usually every 2 weeks) It's so simple to dump out and it doesn't stick to your litter box like the traditional litter does so your litter box is much cleaner and there's less likely going to be urinary problems. (Yay healthy kitties)

The product is called feline fresh.

The one thing I should mention was when I first switched to this litter my cat didn't know what to make of it and ended up peeing in the trash can beside the littler box instead. The transition can be confusing because its so different than traditional litter. So what I did was take some of the old litter (with her scent on it) and mix it with the new stuff, and slowly cut out the old litter.
    Last edited by Mermaid; 2014-07-13 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use FelinePine because my cats responded to it well and it helps the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I use http://www.preciouscat.com/

I switched away from World's Best, actually.

I too use precious cat. Now, I have to question your actual cleaning habits. I notice the longer you leave it (being any clumping), the more likely it is to crumble. Also, if you do it too soon, it will also crumble. (I clean once every 24-36 hours). If you prefer a nice smelling litter, you can go to the dollar store and buy some cat litter deoderizer. Its just baking soa and some smelly stuff. I actually love the stuff.

Being a large cat (and I have to assume its no bigger than my boy, he's 20-23 pounds), I assume he pees in the corner, which may also be part of your problem. It takes longer to clump and often goes all the way to the bottom. You may need to be using more litter than you are using and you might need a bigger box.

If he pees in the corner, don't dig it out. Hit the box with a slap (or two or five) and it should fall away (decently) nicely. If it doesnt, its probably too soon.
    Last edited by Ayla; 2014-07-13 at 07:07 PM.

worlds best cat litter is pretty good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post

Tidy Cats

This stuff rocks.
    Having tried many cat litter with your very problem, I'll say tidy cats. It is more expensive though.

The cheapest stuff is little clay flakes. It doesn't clump for the pee AT ALL, and it just barely sticks to the poop.

Arm and hammer does an ok job, but the pee clumps tend to fall apart when you're trying to scoop them so the amonia smell can build up.

Tidy cats the pee clumps stay together pretty sturdily so you can get them out of the litter box and you won't have a build up of amonia smell over time, and don't have to toss the entire litter box, just clean it every couple of weeks before you add more.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/

It's true to it's name.
    We used that for a while. Expensive. Didn't work well after a week.

Moved on to the Blue walnut litter. Works as well for longer. Cheaper. Coats stuff in brown dust, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have one near you, I greatly recommend Pet Supplies Plus's brand of scoopable clay litter- it clumps like granite, and a 40lb box is like $10.

My favorite, although some of my cats haven't loved it, is feline pine- the brand or the generic. It is by far the cheapest, and it kills the smell, too.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

10+ Year Old Account
    I recommend Scoop Free automatic litter box. With 1 cat, I only have to change the litter once a month. It ends up being like $15 per cartridge or something like that, but it's more than worth the $15/month to not have to ever scoop the litterbox ever.

'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Our cats pee and poop outside. Haven't had a litter box for 10 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

When I got my cat, I picked up some generic cat litter from Petco, turns out I'm allergic to dust or cat litter dust, and it drove me nuts.

Then, after some research, I discovered Dr. Elsey's precious cat litter, 99% dust free, amazing stuff. Highly recommended & very well reviewed on amazon.