Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not spending enough time with my kids when they were little. Once that time is gone, it is gone.

My biggest regret is going through high school believing what the teachers and other adults told me what was "proper" or "acceptable".

I never went to a party, I never kissed a girl, I never went on night cruises around the neighbourhood with my friends, I never got in trouble.

Living like that for the first few years or my life BROKE me in my adult life. I moved to a new city, started a new job, and then realized that I hadn't even had a beer. It made meeting people almost impossible.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Live when you're young, or suddenly you find yourself at 30 with no one and nothing but a big lonely apartment and a cat who you think cares about you.

Not getting help for depression sooner. Finally having gotten help, I look back and can't help but feel that I missed out on 15 years' worth of what could have been the best years of my life. But I'm far stronger for having gone through all that, so it's not a complete loss.

Too many things to remember them all. The typical "I regret not asking ______ out in high school" for a number of them. Going to college because it was the expected thing to do, despite having no idea whatsoever what I wanted to study.

Out of the things that has affected my present, it would be the college thing, and not going into the military right out of high school instead of college. 1999, I didn't know what the fuck I wanted to do with my life. 2014, and I still don't know. There isn't much in the way of opportunities in this small backwater town, so it is really tough to be able to get away from here. Maybe within the next 7 years (before I turn 40), I might be able to figure out what I want with my life. Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong time period.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Starting Smoking. It's been over 5 years since I have smoked, but I am still paying the price today.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    My biggest regret is going through high school believing what the teachers and other adults told me what was "proper" or "acceptable".

I never went to a party, I never kissed a girl, I never went on night cruises around the neighbourhood with my friends, I never got in trouble.

Living like that for the first few years or my life BROKE me in my adult life. I moved to a new city, started a new job, and then realized that I hadn't even had a beer. It made meeting people almost impossible.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Live when you're young, or suddenly you find yourself at 30 with no one and nothing but a big lonely apartment and a cat who you think cares about you.
    You can meet plenty of people like yourself through your local church. If you grew up both as a straight arrow and an atheist, you might be screwed I agree. But most of the straight arrows are into religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    You can meet plenty of people like yourself through your local church. If you grew up both as a straight arrow and an atheist, you might be screwed I agree. But most of the straight arrows are into religion.
    I'm a Libertarian Atheist.

Deleted
    Staying in school because my dad wanted me to.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2014-07-13 at 06:49 PM.

I mean honestly, my biggest BIGGEST regret is going most of my "legal" life without having done ANYTHING 4:20 wise. That is my biggest BIGGEST regret.

See everyone tries to do what adults want them to do early in life but then suddenly you get to that point in life where a single fact CRASHES into you...

"Holy Shit.. I am going to die one day"

Once you become at peace with this fact, you suddenly realize that time is RUNNING OUT. You are one day younger, every day that passes, and this world favours the YOUNG, NOT THE OLD.

And you spent a quarter of your life studying something you don't even like that much because society tells you that's how you should live?!

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    I'm a Libertarian Atheist.
    Yes it will be very difficult for you to meet others then. Your options are:

1. Start getting into booze and parties. However that probably goes against some of your core beliefs and you will feel that nagging sensation that you aren't being true to yourself and you will become increasingly unsatisfied.
    2. Start going to church. However that probably goes against some of your core beliefs and you will feel that nagging sensation that you aren't being true to yourself and you will become increasingly unsatisfied.
    3. Accept you will never meet many people and live the loner Omega Wolf life, which will leave you feeling increasingly unsatisfied.
    4. Do what some Omega Wolves do to solve all of these problems and become an Alpha Wolf. Start your own community based on your core beliefs. Recruit others to join and follow. There you may find happiness.

Deleted
    Didn't really get into exercise until I was 21.

Wished I played more sports when I was in school and joined a proper team whilst at Uni.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Yes it will be very difficult for you to meet others then. Your options are:

1. Start getting into booze and parties. However that probably goes against some of your core beliefs and you will feel that nagging sensation that you aren't being true to yourself and you will become increasingly unsatisfied.
    2. Start going to church. However that probably goes against some of your core beliefs and you will feel that nagging sensation that you aren't being true to yourself and you will become increasingly unsatisfied.
    3. Accept you will never meet many people and live the loner Omega Wolf life, which will leave you feeling increasingly unsatisfied.
    4. Do what some Omega Wolves do to solve all of these problems and become an Alpha Wolf. Start your own community based on your core beliefs. Recruit others to join and follow. There you may find happiness.
    That's horrible advice. Why would you say something like that?

Also I don't drink. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    Didn't really get into exercise until I was 21.

Wished I played more sports when I was in school and joined a proper team whilst at Uni.
    Oh you know what? Yes, get more exercise. I can tell you that since I started walking back and forth to work, which is a journey around my parts, it makes you feel better mentally as well as physically. I cannot recommend this enough. Just start walking everywhere, you don't need to be a beef head about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinali View Post
    What is the one thing you regret the most?

For me it is that I tried to seem normal and was trying to hide my real me in school and among friends because I thought they'd judge me if I wasn't like them and leave me.
    Not betting everything I own and everything I could borrow on Germany-Brazil 7-1

On the other hand, I don't regret studying math at all. I use it all the time to run my finances. My life would be in the rubbish without math.

spending my 20s in an alcoholic haze. and all the the things they warn you about being associated with a lifestyle like that.

Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    spending my 20s in an alcoholic haze. and all the the things they warn you about being associated with a lifestyle like that.
    It's exactly why cannabis should be legal and booze should be looked upon in the same light as cigarettes or hard drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty young so I don't have any DRASTIC regrets, but I think my main one would be not asking girls out or talking to them when I wanted to. I've gotten better at is as of late, but I saw a girl from my high school graduating class a couple weeks ago and we talked for a bit and she was talking about how she had a boyfriend and what college she was going to and how her freshman year went and then towards the end of the conversation she asked me why I never asked her out.... Keep in mind that I had a pretty big crush on this girl for about 3 years. It was such an eye opener for me.

I also think it's the worst kind of regret because in the big scope of things it has no downsides. If the girl rejects you then it may sting but it could help you learn and a couple months or years from then you won't even remember it, but if the girl says yes, then it could potentially change your life.

Another thing would be delaying getting my first job and not getting my driver's license until recently. The job part is because it has been a big learning experience for me and has helped me grow quite a bit (also given me the motivation to get a better job than minimum wage because I would end up being super depressed if I had to work at McDonalds forever). The driver's license is one part freedom and also it made me insecure around girls. I even had girl friends (not girlfriends) who told me that they wouldn't want to date a guy who couldn't drive which definitely didn't help matters.

Deleted
    On second thought, the earliest memory i regret the most would be my brother microwaving our hamster as a child (He was 9), i didn't intervene nearly as much as i should of (I was 7) and bam.

Microwaved hamster, i remember asking him what he was doing with it in the microwave but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    I'm pretty young so I don't have any DRASTIC regrets, but I think my main one would be not asking girls out or talking to them when I wanted to.
    But see that to me isn't really a regret because I think in order to truly feel regret you need to know what needs to be done and then not do it. If you don't know how to approach women, how can you regret not approaching them?

A regret would be like being on the high school basketball team, its the playoffs, you are down by 3, you are open on the 3 point line with the ball with a few seconds left and you know you have to take the shot to try to win and you don't take the shot and your team loses.