Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    What I miss: Nothing

What I dont miss: Everything
    Yeah I miss that WoW used to be hard. I miss that you had a sense of community. I miss that the words (read; epics, rares, common, legendary etc.) had actual names that suited their availability to the crowd. Rares were rare, epics were even more so, legendaries... almost unheard of. Nowadays, epic is the new common.

Your character was YOU, not your ilvl. You needed friends to advance in some areas, some not. Now, all I can compare WoW to is a ghost mansion with creepy tenants that don't speak nor look at eachother. They don't need to. What's the use? The community is dead beyond resurrection.

In the old days when someone did something bad, or had a freakishly bad attitude or manners, he would be blacklisted by the entire realm. We worked together to establish this community and our places in it. That's just one of the examples in my long list of bad shit WoW has done to itself.
    WoW has ventured from being one of the most creative game, with difficulties that were force-nerfed due to the sheer difficulty of it all for the majority of the players due to QQ, to serving the new majority who wants an easy time _EVERY_ time they QQ about something.

Warcraft - The Movie, We've all waited for it. No need to wait any longer, because it's already here. You're playing it (or rather, you aren't).

This will be the end of my rant. I'm only one lost customer out of a few million.

Oh and I'd love to devote a special thanks to the casuals who dumbed down the game I grew up playing and enjoying. A game takes time to master, you should try it.

Deleted
    Miss 0/21/40
    Don't miss having to spend time looking in trade for groups.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss having a community that actually helped each other, and didn't rage/scream/threaten2unsub over every tweet/post/change etc.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CasCrow View Post
    I miss vanilla's way of getting pvp titles.
    It was brutal and open to abuse, but the new system is just insanely easy and just as open to abuse.

Old system: Rank 10-14: 16h+ a day, 7 days a week for 6+ weeks
    New system: Rank 14 before you get the 50 wins achievement.

Wish they'd found a good middle balance.

Only thing I truly miss from classic was a sense of personal responsibility and reputation - it mattered how you behaved, and what other players thought of you.
    Last edited by Hottage; 2014-07-14 at 11:46 AM.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

15+ Year Old Account
    I absolutely miss threat. Heck, even heals could pull aggro. Especially if the tank was retarded.
    I miss the great server communities.
    I miss all content being playable for almost all through the whole expansion.

I don't miss farming and other timesinks in general.
    I don't miss useless specs and complete lack of scaling with some stats for many of the specs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I also remember if certain classes weren't available the raid was cancelled.
    Kinda still applies now.
    We had to cancel our Siegecrafter heroic raid because we didn't have any hunter/rogue.

I miss buffs being specific to groups. As much as it was kind of a pain to have to set up your groups in raids to get the bloodlusts where you want them (stacking bloodlusts in a group by switching shamans in and out of it wasn't great), i thought it was pretty cool to set up your groups for trueshot aura/totems/paladin aura/blood pact from imps. I also really miss the old talent system, i wish they had of put more work into getting choices in there rather then just going for the MoP version (even though it may be better as far as real choices go, it's just not the same). I also miss the harder dungeons and heroics, hoping to get some in WoD but we'll see. I miss there not being a whole lot of smart healing, and i miss tanks actually having to worry about threat.

I'm glad flight paths actually link now, i remember in vanilla when you had to fly to one place, then fly to the next manually. Pain in the ass if you flew somewhere that didn't connect where you thought it did. I certainly don't miss hybrid dps specs all being shit and not even really being justified by any buffs they bring in vanilla (except shadow priests really, but even then u didn't want to many of them). I don't miss paladin buffs lasting 5-15 mins (i think it was 5 mins initially and they changed it at some point to 15, could of been more). I don't miss hunter ammo or reagents for buffs. And some other various quality of life stuff.
    Last edited by bmjclark; 2014-07-14 at 11:57 AM.

The one single thing I miss is the game feeling new to me when I started. This happens to new players today as well, but for me it will never come back. I love the game now and wouldn't go back in time even if I could simply because I prefer to move forward...but I still wish I could feel that sense of adventure and being a nub again. It'll never be possible even if I move to a different mmo since I simply know what to expect these days. Back then I had only stuck to single-player games, and suddenly I had an entire world to explore.

I don't miss having to sit in a city to get a group for a dungeon and THEN going out to do what I wanted after the dungeon had been finished, unless someone left and thus wasting more time looking for a replacement and going back to the dungeon.

I don't miss ammo.

I don't miss braindead AOE through volley.

I don't miss mana.

I don't miss how empty and useless the world felt after reaching max level, save for Argent Crusade in WOTLK and Tol Barad in Cata.

I don't miss the old talent trees. Despite people whinging, I have eyes to see with and I see myself changing my specs and playing differently depending on situation these days. Back then? Set the talents where proven to be the most efficient, leave it for the tier/entire expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    I miss the social aspects of the game, you had to talk to people, strangers and friends alike. You could spend hours after dark drinking virtual booze in a tavern having fun with strangers, talking and spreading myths about your adventures and loot, (sites like wowhead did not exist back then). Betting silver on who would win a nude duel or things like that.
    Can still do this today. Not sure why people complain about the social aspect being gone when even I as someone within the autism spectrum can see it and take part in it without a problem if I so choose.

People acting as if pre-LFD or whatever was a utopia of kind people, helping hands and no drama are really dreaming.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2014-07-14 at 12:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I miss:
    • Certain aspects of the old talent trees. Mainly the experimenting with unusual builds, and builds that combined stuff from all three trees.
    • The slower questing speed. I wouldn't want it quite as slow as TBC, maybe a little faster, but now it's way to fast.
    • Challenging instances.
    • Old DK rune system.
    • World PvP.

What I don't miss:
    • Other aspects of the old talent trees, mainly that for raiding there were little to no choices to be made. One spec was the best, and if you didn't play it you didn't raid. Also that certain specializations simply weren't viable at all.
    • How unbalanced PvP was.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Old talent trees, ammo for Hunters, SS for locks, reagents, certain classes being required for certain things, unique buffs from different classes (like if you didn't have a Priest/Lock you were SoL for a Stamina Buff, etc) the community.

What do I miss?

The over-all RPG aspect of the game. The balance wasn't as important, it was ok for things to be some-what broken; Everything wasn't completely fair but there was just constantly stuff for you to do, and finding an upgrade in the game or completing a secret, off the patch quest really could reap nice rewards. Also, 40 man raids, while frustrating, are epic. The questing altogether I thought was fantastic, some of the quests were a bit lame with drop rates etc but I really loved how much you really had to look around to get quests done (without quest helper) and how easy it was to die.

What don't I miss?

Lame boss fights and while I like that the game wasn't completely balanced and that some specs were less good at certain things; It was also some-what frustrating at the same time.

Overall, I feel like Blizzard have realized their problems from Vanilla and have tried to address them by making certain aspects more convenient, but they've taken it too far imo and it's just WAYYY too accessible now.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolrogueplayer View Post
    When I say old wow I mean 3.3.5 and before, any time before patch 4.0 .
    How's that old
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Deleted
    Miss - actual server communities
    Don't Miss - farming tubers/other consumables in Felwood

Miss:
    I miss the social part back then, having to look for people yourself instead of using dungeon finder. Made you get to know people that were good and you liked playing with.
    Old talent system. Being able to split into two different ones, LOVED to play frost fire mage in PvP! It felt more rewarding getting a talent point every level instead of this. Also say what you want about cookiecutter builds it's basicly still the same today.
    Atunement quest. Yes the were hard and took some time to do, but you actually got to know why you are doing stuff not just going in to an instance "hey this guy is evil, kill him".
    Thousand Needles before it got flooded RIP.
    Times when you didn't get forced to play a certain race/faction because of racials
    Isle of quel'danas it felt cool having to complete dailys etc to unlock vendors and such was really cool also it was really fun to PvP over there

Dont miss:
    Buffs only lasting 5 mins.
    Reagents for buffs and spells like ankh.
    Not having dual spec.
    Times before flying mounts.
    1hr hearthstone
    Rogue/warrior mace specc.
    SL/SL warlocks.
    Last edited by wesell; 2014-07-15 at 08:09 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    The one single thing I miss is the game feeling new to me when I started. This happens to new players today as well, but for me it will never come back. I love the game now and wouldn't go back in time even if I could simply because I prefer to move forward...but I still wish I could feel that sense of adventure and being a nub again. It'll never be possible even if I move to a different mmo since I simply know what to expect these days. Back then I had only stuck to single-player games, and suddenly I had an entire world to explore.

I don't miss having to sit in a city to get a group for a dungeon and THEN going out to do what I wanted after the dungeon had been finished, unless someone left and thus wasting more time looking for a replacement and going back to the dungeon.

I don't miss ammo.

I don't miss braindead AOE through volley.

I don't miss mana.

I don't miss how empty and useless the world felt after reaching max level, save for Argent Crusade in WOTLK and Tol Barad in Cata.

I don't miss the old talent trees. Despite people whinging, I have eyes to see with and I see myself changing my specs and playing differently depending on situation these days. Back then? Set the talents where proven to be the most efficient, leave it for the tier/entire expansion.

Can still do this today. Not sure why people complain about the social aspect being gone when even I as someone within the autism spectrum can see it and take part in it without a problem if I so choose.

People acting as if pre-LFD or whatever was a utopia of kind people, helping hands and no drama are really dreaming.
    Logic. Thank you, sincerely

I am really bitter of the direction Shamans took after Burning Crusade.

They had the basis to be the next tank class, yet DK's were introduced instead.
    The gutted Chain Heal.
    2H was gutted in favor of allowing warriors to duel wield 2 Handers...
    Totems were ruined.

Their identity is just leaps and bounds from what it used to be.

I miss hard heroics.

I miss CC.

I miss 5 hour BRD runs.

I miss 25 man raids.

I miss having to put a group together, and when raiding was special.

I miss talent trees too. But I moved to Rift, so I get some of what I miss about Old WoW there.

Top three things I miss:

3. All of the flavor and utility skills classes used to have. Now denounced as "button bloat". It would be neat if WoW were still an RPG in more than name only. I liked having big spellbooks, even if many skills were used only rarely. Knowing you had them, and using them when those opportune moments arose, were great ways to show your skill and feel more invested in your character. I feel like WoW is better described as an MMO-button-masher at this point.

2. The old talent system, for mostly the same reasons. Even if most people referenced cookie cutter builds, it was fun having the ability to experiment and fine tune your character for utility vs peformance, or discover odd builds that were powerful in niche scenarios. Gutting it and dumbing it down to "pick six abilities" was another design change that really diminished attachment to one's character and the game.

1. The community. When a long leveling curve, group quests, and elite monsters in the open world worked, because people were happy to explore, interact, and adventure together. When the endgame and "world of queuecraft" were much less of the focus.

I guess you could sum up all three with "when the game felt much less sanctioned and on rails".

Deleted
    I miss the RPG part of this game

flavor, immersion > difficulty, streamlining

Part 2: Top three things I don't miss:

3. Bugs, poor itemization, UI shortcomings, etc, that were fixed and improved over time.

2. Only one viable tank class.

1. 40 man raid or die endgame. One could argue this philosophy drove more players away than it retained. So much guild strife over trying to raid. I would bet the same happened to many casual, friends, and family guilds. How different would things have been if casual and 5-10 man content had been the focus from the beginning.

I miss Eyes of the Beast. Raids just aren't the same without it.