Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

SoO normal 10 mn galakras

hello, my guild is stuck at galakras. we get him to about 11% and we wipe because of his 77 flame stacks.
    our dps is 3 people over 200k+ (warrior, warrior, death knight) and 2 people 140k+ (hunter, warlock), we 3 heal as neither of our healers can solo ground when the tower team is gone.
    weve killed him before but usually its by luck that 1 tank is alive long enough to solo the last 5% ish, we find juggernaut simple but shamans are a problem aswell. our average ilvl is 558, we have people over 560 ilvl but he just seems so difficult.
    we don't want to have to degrade ourselves to bypassing it by getting someone in whos saved.

any help would be appreciated

10+ Year Old Account
    Are your people clearing their stacks? Or just stacking in 1 place and staying there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    Heroics are heroics for a reason.. if you cant do heroics, you cant raid.. its the proper path...
    ...Blizzard has gone the mile and added LFR for those people, but nerfing normal and hc modes is just plain stupid. The Burning Legion didn't get pushed back by lining up a thousand arcane mages spamming AB. It took work work work.

Post logs or your comp. Hard to help without logs but it sounds like you aren't managing stacks well.

we 3 heal as neither of our healers can solo ground when the tower team is gone.
    How is this a thing? Are you guys not shooting down the drakes asap or something? There's like, only trash to heal on bottom.

Deleted
    don't have any logs, but our comp is

tanks: paladin (me) , warrior
    melee dps: warrior (arms), warrior (fury), death knight
    ranged dps: hunter (surv), warlock (dest)
    healer: shaman, priest (disc) , off spec shaman

the ground healing problem is when they do the AOE shout and everyone takes damage. we stack for the boss 1 tank infront 1 to side all dps and healers behind and whoever gets the flames runs back, we reset stacks at 5+ on everyone but tanks, tanks swap at 4.
    we bloodlust at 30% but by then atleast 2 people are dead then as soon as BL fades he on 15% and 1 AoE attack wipes everyone but the tanks.

Few things my guild does that might help:

When Galakras drops are you splitting into 2 groups? The dot gets spread around a little more and generally will drop off one group entirely.

If you have a shaman healer they should be able to solo heal the ground easily. It can get spikey down there due to fire arrows but if you use a glyphed grounding totem only the initial damage is taken and the rest of the ground damage is reflected. This will last for the 15 second duration of the totem.

Another option is a dps with a good healing cooldown on towers can make it so a healer isn't even needed if you're geared as well as you are. I switched to elemental and pop a few dps cooldowns on the boss and cast ancestral guidance. A bunch of classes could do that as well.

All and all if you get the mechanics down and your people are smart the healing can be pretty easy for 2. As an experiment and for funsies we had our disc priest solo heal the encounter. The elemental shaman and a few people popped some cooldowns when needed but it went pretty easy for him. Once Galakras dropped he died so quickly we didn't need to worry about the stacks.
    Is this where the header goes?

Deleted
    we haven't tried 2 groups for the boss, on the first tower I barely take and damage but tower 2 even with guardian buff I get hit for 300k+ by the snipe so no healer wouldn't do well.
    we are probably way overgeared for this as 5 people are 560+, 3 are 550+ and the last 2 are 540+

Quote Originally Posted by greavous View Post

the ground healing problem is when they do the AOE shout and everyone takes damage. we stack for the boss 1 tank infront 1 to side all dps and healers behind and whoever gets the flames runs back, we reset stacks at 5+ on everyone but tanks, tanks swap at 4.
    we bloodlust at 30% but by then atleast 2 people are dead then as soon as BL fades he on 15% and 1 AoE attack wipes everyone but the tanks.
    Lust as soon as galakras is in position, waiting for 30% is pointless, esp. if people are already dead. If your players are dying from the AOE shout, then make sure they kill the war banners faster. Whoever's on ground also needs to step their game up, there's no reason to ever need two healers on ground, especially not on normal with 550+ ilevel. If it really comes down to it, just have your resto shaman on ground use healing cooldowns and have your warriors/paladin/offspec shaman chain raid cds.

Have melee directly behind him, then have ranged/healers 10-15 yards behind them (directly). Hero right when you get set up, and don't have anyone get out AT ALL. Tank swap is fine.

Deleted
    our shaman does use grounding totem I don't know if it gyphed or not, ill get bloodlust popped at drop then.
    the war banners die but t seems as soon as the spawn they shout aswell so we don't get chance to kill them before they shout. our ground shaman pops everything during the tower phases except the big heal totem (cant remember name).

Another thing is to make sure to get the NPCs involved. Their damage is nothing to write home about but they can probably do 5-8% of galakras' health if i had to guess.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can swap tanks at 3 (sometimes even at 2) by the way. No need to wait for 4, it's just extra damage to heal through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

we haven't tried 2 groups for the boss, on the first tower I barely take and damage but tower 2 even with guardian buff I get hit for 300k+ by the snipe so no healer wouldn't do well.
    we are probably way overgeared for this as 5 people are 560+, 3 are 550+ and the last 2 are 540+
    Have you tried 2 healing and sending your dps shaman up the tower with a healing cd to help you, like healing tide first tower and AG second tower. This is what we did on progress and worked fine with no deaths in the tower
    My 10 man 2 nights 6 hours a week raiding guild at 7/7M + 3/3M + 5/10M
    www.avalerion.euo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by addlemanc View Post
    Hero right when you get set up, and don't have anyone get out AT ALL.
    With their DPS I don't see it being viable to just burn and ignore the stacks, they will get themselves killed if they try that. The stacks hurt even with higher gear level.

Reset at 3 stacks, whether you do it in 2 groups or just 1 big group. There is no point in going over 5 stacks per person.

You need to have a strong tanking CD up for the first snipe hit, you fail on your CD on snipe, you die...

There isn't much to heal on towers, if you leave out the slight dispel on tower 1 and the tank damage on second tower. As for ground, if you shaman stays DPS they can help out a lot, DPS shaman has very strong CDs. The drake damage before you shoot them down will get your melee killed, just send most of your melee to the tower to get it cleared fast. That way your 1 healer + DPS shaman don't have that much to worry and keep people up as long as they don't stand in shit. The flame arrow casters toss fire on the ground as well on top of the drakes... If you don't stand in fire, your healer has not much to do other then keeping tank up and just patching raid up when needed. Beside with 6 DPS the fight goes lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    Another thing is to make sure to get the NPCs involved. Their damage is nothing to write home about but they can probably do 5-8% of galakras' health if i had to guess.
    It is a very solid advice. The fire patch on the ground near the NPC does decent amount of damage to all the enemies, use it. Tank mobs on top of the fire patch and keep boss, once it's down, on top of fire as well, or well as close as needed for the NPC to engage (they need to start take damage/be at range to attack, for them to join in).

Have your better healer heal the ground while the tower group goes. You should not need 3 healers on this fight, and having an extra DPS will fix your problems.

It's really that simple. Even at 540 ilvl there isn't a healing class that can't heal through Galakras. Kill the drakes flying around, and make sure your group isn't standing in fire, the NPCs do no damage. As a healer I usually spend most of my time watching twitch streams on my other monitor on this fight, it's incredibly easy unless your group is doing it very wrong. Shoot down the drakes in the sky, don't stand in fire, kill the banners. Nothing else to it. The banners have 1HP but can't be AoE'd, so I would just Moonfire them when we were doing progression, but I'm usually too lazy to do that now and just wait til someone else can be asked to kill them. Your RSham can just Earth Shock the banners, or whatever Shock is his favorite.

You have some decent raid survival abilities with 3 Warriors and a Paladin. You can roll the Demoralizing Banners and Devo aura to help mitigate the raid damage during Phase 2.

As for the tower survivability as a Prot Paladin i can think of a few things.

1.)Try to maximize your uptime of Shield of the Righteous and keep a 3HP Eternal Flame on yourself as much as possible.
    2.) Glyph Divine Protection so it gives you a 20% DR to Physical and Magical. This gives you three on demand cooldowns "Ardent Defender, Divine Protection, Guardian of Ancient Kings.
    3.) As others have stated you pretty much have to pop a cooldown for Tower 2 or you risk getting clobbered. DP or AD work fine.
    4.) Light's Hammer is nice for helping burn the adds/tower boss and helping with healing a bit.

Hope that helps.

15+ Year Old Account

It almost sounds like you're doing the towers wrong.

Once the Demolisher dies have the tank aoe the adds and run up the stairs, then focus fire the mini boss down with all your dps while cleaving/multidotting everything at the top. Just leave a healer and tank below. Your group should have the tower cleared as next pack after the 2 drakes comes out.

In P2 do two groups. They only need to be 10-15 yards apart as the fireball only applies the debuff if it lands perfectly on your head. Then if 1 group already has 3 stacks of the debuff then can slide to the other group temporarily. Bloodlust earlier. 50 or 70%

Plan your raid cooldowns. You have 3 warriors for the Health shout, Devotion Aura, AMS for 1 group, Priest bubble for another. Shaman cooldowns. But 2 healing will trivialize this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandgato View Post
    You have some decent raid survival abilities with 3 Warriors and a Paladin. You can roll the Demoralizing Banners and Devo aura to help mitigate the raid damage during Phase 2.

As for the tower survivability as a Prot Paladin i can think of a few things.

1.)Try to maximize your uptime of Shield of the Righteous and keep a 3HP Eternal Flame on yourself as much as possible.
    2.) Glyph Divine Protection so it gives you a 20% DR to Physical and Magical. This gives you three on demand cooldowns "Ardent Defender, Divine Protection, Guardian of Ancient Kings.
    3.) As others have stated you pretty much have to pop a cooldown for Tower 2 or you risk getting clobbered. DP or AD work fine.
    4.) Light's Hammer is nice for helping burn the adds/tower boss and helping with healing a bit.

Hope that helps.
    While I don't have any knowledge about Paladin tank specifically, I as a tank keep my Active Mitigation up and running, so I think this is a good post by Grandgato.

The more you are able to keep your active mitigation and self healing up, the easier it becomes, once you've nailed it, you do not need a healer upstairs in the tower - an Off-healer, like a dps shaman or shadow priest is always handy though, as the dps that come with you sometimes take small amounts of damage.

replace the 4th in your group, the healer, with another dps. I would take your 3 best Single-target DPS, and focus down Lieutenant first, while cleaving adds. This should lower the time you need to focus on keeping your self alive. If your damage downstairs are struggling, the Tower tank can take care of the Canon and shoot down the Proto-Drakes before joining the downstairs team. Remember to put a DPS on duty to shoot down the boss in your place in tower 1, when you are ready to shoot down Galakras.

Also a guild-paladin tank once told me that there are 2 different ways to gear a Paladin, mainly Parry or Haste as main stat, he also told me that he would go haste because it should up his Threat, DPS and survivability more. I would ask a few fellow Paladin tanks about that though, if you are unsure.

While I have a Warrior tank (alt) my self, I have never tried solotanking the tower with it. But seeing as the damage that hurts up there is physical damage, keeping Shield Block up and using Demo banner/shout should do it. Also 2-set bonus from Tier 16 is a very nice bonus.

On my Main, Druid. I keep Savage Defense up, and I barely take damage at all. If I do take some damage, Frenzied Regeneration isn't far away, so I will keep my self topped.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the biggest problem for their healers is going to 5+ stacks before dropping them. This makes the healers life a lot harder then it has to be. Try only going to 2-3 stacks then reset them ( This way your healers won't get overwhelmed )

BL right after the tanks get settled with the boss ( no point in waiting as others have said )

also with the gear you guys have the hunter and a few others could step the dps game up abit. ( There's a great hunter F.A.Q in the hunter section here )

Other than that just make sure to keep healing cd's for when the boss get low on hp and the dmg gets nasty.

Deleted
    we are attempting it again tonight with the lockout, hopefully we shall down him, jugger is easy and hopefully with 3 ranged shamans will be easier than usual.

i (pally tank) do the towers as our warrior can get 2 shotted by the snipe ability, i could probably do tower 1 without a healer but definetly not tower 2.
    we will attempt 2 heal tonight and see if its easier.

i ask for hc boss because almost 1/2 the group are over 565 and dont need normal anymore (but have downed garrosh outside guild group) so we want to try an easy heroic for the heroic loot.

another thing we will do is get the NPC's involved, we never did that because the boss(thor'alin?, bloodelf guy) would suddenly go from 100% to 10% in about 2 seconds for no given reason other than the adds AOE damage (was no fractures or anything) but we shallt ry it again and see if it was a bug or something.

- - - Updated - - -

ALSO!!!!!!! while i remember what addon do you guys reccomend to obtain logs? the ones that show uptime of abilities and suck like so we can see whos failing most.