Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    In my opinion, the biggest issue with flying is that once you get it, it just feels like a massive upgrade over ground mounts and taxis. Provided you're not one of those people who love exploring every nook and cranny, you will always pick flying over other options. I mean, why wouldn't you? It's the fastest and most convenient way of travelling that makes all the alternatives look pale in comparison. So... you fly. It's fun at first, but you kinda hate yourself for skipping a lot of content and as it usually happens with things you do all the time, it gets really boring and frustrating in time. Then you either end up finding a way to make your character fly while you go AFK, or you try to use something else, but while it's fun for a while, you quickly realize that flying is way better and since you've already experienced most of the content anyway, you go back to flying.

And thus, at some point flying becomes mandatory for almost everyone and other travel methods such as ground mounts and taxis are completely useless. But... What if Blizzard balanced them out? I'm talking about something like:

1. Flying - convenience at the cost of speed - your movement speed bonus is the lowest out of the three options, but instead you can avoid all the ground obstacles and trash mobs in order to get from point A to any point B completely uninterrupted
    2. Ground Mounts - moderate speed and convenience - while you can't avoid mobs and terrain obstacles, you gain a higher movement speed bonus that allows you to reach more accessible locations fastet than via flying
    3. Taxi - speed at the cost of convenience - your movement speed is the highest out of the three options and you can avoid everything that's on the ground, but you can use it only to travel to a selected set of locations

Wouldn't something like this make people alternate between various travel methods? Like - there's a horde of mobs or some other terrain obstacle between you and your objective? No problem, you mount up and take to the air - while you don't move as fast, you still get there faster than via ground mount. But if there's, say, a really nice road between where you're at and where you want to go, you saddle up and ride there because it's faster than flying. Oh, and if you want to go to a different zone or travel longer distances? No problem, you just pick taxi and go make yourself a coffee or whatever.

I believe that having reasons to use all three travel methods would make the game more fun and varied - sure, it wouldn't be as convenient as having OP flying mount, but at least it wouldn't be that boring. And the best thing is - the player would get to decide how he wishes to interact with the content. Personally, I think that would be the best way of tackling the "flying issues" a lot of the people have, because right now... Hell, it doesn't really matter how long they delay the introduction of flying - sooner or later it will come back, because people got spoiled by how convenient it is and once the content starts to get old, masses will demand it and Blizz will give it to them. And once it does come back, most people will skip a lot of content and a lot of issues we might have with flying will return. Nothing gets fixed by delaying flying - the end result is the same, the only question is - how much time it will take before we reach it.

As long as 6.1 only takes 3 months tops. Any more than that, and my sub is going byebye.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyssian View Post
    In my opinion, the biggest issue with flying is that once you get it, it just feels like a massive upgrade over ground mounts and taxis. Provided you're not one of those people who love exploring every nook and cranny, you will always pick flying over other options. I mean, why wouldn't you? It's the fastest and most convenient way of travelling that makes all the alternatives look pale in comparison. So... you fly. It's fun at first, but you kinda hate yourself for skipping a lot of content and as it usually happens with things you do all the time, it gets really boring and frustrating in time. Then you either end up finding a way to make your character fly while you go AFK, or you try to use something else, but while it's fun for a while, you quickly realize that flying is way better and since you've already experienced most of the content anyway, you go back to flying.

And thus, at some point flying becomes mandatory for almost everyone and other travel methods such as ground mounts and taxis are completely useless. But... What if Blizzard balanced them out? I'm talking about something like:

1. Flying - convenience at the cost of speed - your movement speed bonus is the lowest out of the three options, but instead you can avoid all the ground obstacles and trash mobs in order to get from point A to any point B completely uninterrupted
    2. Ground Mounts - moderate speed and convenience - while you can't avoid mobs and terrain obstacles, you gain a higher movement speed bonus that allows you to reach more accessible locations fastet than via flying
    3. Taxi - speed at the cost of convenience - your movement speed is the highest out of the three options and you can avoid everything that's on the ground, but you can use it only to travel to a selected set of locations

Wouldn't something like this make people alternate between various travel methods? Like - there's a horde of mobs or some other terrain obstacle between you and your objective? No problem, you mount up and take to the air - while you don't move as fast, you still get there faster than via ground mount. But if there's, say, a really nice road between where you're at and where you want to go, you saddle up and ride there because it's faster than flying. Oh, and if you want to go to a different zone or travel longer distances? No problem, you just pick taxi and go make yourself a coffee or whatever.

I believe that having reasons to use all three travel methods would make the game more fun and varied - sure, it wouldn't be as convenient as having OP flying mount, but at least it wouldn't be that boring. And the best thing is - the player would get to decide how he wishes to interact with the content. Personally, I think that would be the best way of tackling the "flying issues" a lot of the people have, because right now... Hell, it doesn't really matter how long they delay the introduction of flying - sooner or later it will come back, because people got spoiled by how convenient it is and once the content starts to get old, masses will demand it and Blizz will give it to them. And once it does come back, most people will skip a lot of content and a lot of issues we might have with flying will return. Nothing gets fixed by delaying flying - the end result is the same, the only question is - how much time it will take before we reach it.
    I love this idea, personally I'd just as easily be in favor of them saying they are not gonna have flying mounts for the rest of the game from here on out, but this seems like a very reasonable alternative, idea has my support

Alright - now how do we pass this on to Blizzard?

The Alliance garrison looks good! The Horde garrison on the other hand... another orc centric amalgamation of tusks and red leather... Nice...

Omgosh, I really want flying in 6.1. I don't mind leveling on the ground and getting flying later at all as long as we do indeed get to fly at some point. I could puke when I go to timeless isle mainly because I can't fly there. From everything I've been reading about WoD it sounds like it's going to be my favorite expansion so hopefully they will add in flying in 6.1 and not make me eat my words. I would prefer to get flying through some sort of quest or event type thing. I think we fork over enough gold for flying through all the expansions.
    Last edited by TheCrazyCatLady; 2014-07-14 at 05:00 AM.

I'd be a lot more excited about garrisons if more focus had been put on racial architecture. I'm sure I'm not alone in my mindset but I really don't care about the Alliance or Horde - nor do I care for the dreadfully overused orcs or humans. I care much more for blood elves, night elves and draenei. They're my favourite races and they're what ultimately what make me invest in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow...For once I'm actually jealous of the Alliance, for having such better looking Garrisons then the Horde. I mean, there is no comparison between the 2. Horde looks like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Horde Garrison - I find your lack of sin'dorei disturbing.
    I agree. Blood elves make up 30% of all horde players and are actually the largest group. Why are they constantly left out of horde architecture? Honestly garrisons aren't going to be very interesting to me if there aren't any sin'dorei buildings.
    "Please find my dear friends.
    Dead or Alive" -redmakoto

Quote Originally Posted by breseis View Post
    Here is Level 4 Garrison Video!

Pointless video because were losing 3 building slots and it only goes to level 3 not level 4, unless blizzard does what the fans want for once and give us back the 3 slots we lost.

To be fair, I expect to see Elven buildings in the Mage Tower and perhaps Gem Boutique.

But yeah, seriously... Blizzard really need to get the memo that there are actually Horde races OTHER than Orcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirthealer View Post
    Pointless video because were losing 3 building slots and it only goes to level 3 not level 4, unless blizzard does what the fans want for once and give us back the 3 slots we lost.
    Maybe they'll give us level 4(and above) with the next content patch. Like a level increase with each raid tier.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breseis View Post
    With a Ground Mount - You have to go through trash

With a Flying Mount - You can fly over it and not deal with a single one till you get to mission area

BIG DIFFERENCE
    Let's see how much you love running around on the ground by the time you have leveled your 4th or 5th toon, and hate to tell ya if there is a way that people can avoid trash mobs to get to there destination they will find it..

Would be nice from them to give us an option on what kind of architecture we prefer to build our Garrison from.

Shouldn't be too hard to implement a few different buildings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could we get some of these tweets while they're still relevant sometime? That would be awesome. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    They're calling this a horde garrison? all I see is an Orc garrison for peets SAKE..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Farabee View Post
    As long as 6.1 only takes 3 months tops. Any more than that, and my sub is going byebye.
    why that????

We still think a 6.1 patch seems like a pretty reasonable point where flying would become available in Draenor ...
    Before the Beta I was like; ''meh, I'm cool without flying'', but now I seriously hope you'll be able to fly on Draenor at some point during the expansion. The area looks so awesome and I bet it looks even better from the sky. Especially Frostfire Ridge, with all the huge and wide, 'spiky' mountains. Sure you can grab the FP, but the FP doesn't fly across everything in the zone you'd sometimes like to see yourself.

Deleted

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    Wow...For once I'm actually jealous of the Alliance, for having such better looking Garrisons then the Horde. I mean, there is no comparison between the 2. Horde looks like shit.
    This. Also the plot allotted for the horde garrison looks stupid too. I mean, aren't we allowed something that looks at least -DECENT- because we're HORDE?! No comparison,s possible between either buildings NOR scenery. Wtf blizz, w.t.f.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    While not technically part of this I had to post the latest Dark Legacy comic http://www.darklegacycomics.com/448 this one going into the player model updates..