Deleted

An interesting chart that shows WoW's popularity compared to other MMO's

Just wanted to share this tool with you guys. It's pretty interesting. This is official data provided directly by Google. It shows how many queries of the different terms there were over the years.
    http://www.google.com/trends/explore...%20Wars&cmpt=q
    Even though WoW is on decline, take a look at the other MMOs and especially the recently hyped ESO and Wildstar. From the large amount of hype one could think at least Wildstar might be a huge competitor to WoW but in reality it's neglectable.
    Summarized we can say that WoW is still in a very healthy situation compared to other MMOs on the market. I'm curious how the graph changes when WoD releases.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Wow & its expansions in 1 chart is interesting to see. http://www.google.com/trends/explore...andaria&cmpt=q

Especialy the decline in interest right after cataclysm is huge

Honstly, this graph is about as interesting as... looking at ants walking around. It mean nothing, for a load of reasons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    Honstly, this graph is about as interesting as... looking at ants walking around. It mean nothing, for a load of reasons.
    It shows worldwide interest in given terms. How does that not mean anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    Actually, looking at ants walking around is tremendously interesting.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling,
    but in rising every time we fall."
    - Kong Fuzi

Wow isnt in a healthy situation just because other mmos arent as popular. It lost half its playerbase in a few years.
    Chronomancer Club

Is that just searches for World of Warcraft related things? Maybe after all this time people just know a lot about WoW and aren't googling it as often.

WoW is an old game now and past it's prime. It's still the king of MMO's though and will continue to be until the servers shut down. I don't think there's any new MMO's coming out that are big enough to challenge WoW, so nothing in the MMO genre will ever topple it. Companies have probably given up now. Wildstar came and went.

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    Wow isnt in a healthy situation just because other mmos arent as popular. It lost half its playerbase in a few years.
    Exactly.

It seems OP is thinking "Oh hey! Wildstar is at 7 and WoW is at 20 right now!" When really it should be "Oh, WoW was at 95 in 2009, 82 in 2010 and now it's at 20, pre-expansion".

The only information one can learn from this graph is that WoW is, in fact, rapidly losing it's fanbase.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    2 Wildstar came and went.
    Uh. It didn't "go" anywhere. It's pretty popular and growing in popularity daily.
    That's what Gamon wants you, No, needs you to believe. Because Gamon is not the hero we deserve, but the hero we need.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Greektoast View Post
    Exactly.

It seems OP is thinking "Oh hey! Wildstar is at 7 and WoW is at 20 right now!" When really it should be "Oh, WoW was at 95 in 2009, 82 in 2010 and now it's at 20, pre-expansion".

The only information one can learn from this graph is that WoW is, in fact, rapidly losing it's fanbase.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh. It didn't "go" anywhere. It's pretty popular and growing in popularity daily.
    I think we can all agree Wildstar is pretty much dead at this point. It certainly will be when WoD launches.

And yeah interest in WoW is melting like ice in water. But compared to that, interest in MMOs other than WoW, those are melting like ice on the sun's surface. Wildstar and ESO included. Wow is here to stay. Other MMOs are not. that's the significant difference
    Last edited by mmoc5b249aa738; 2014-07-14 at 04:14 AM.

And has been fairly steady since then.

Also, WoW is profitable to bliz down to I think it was like 600k subs with current devs/server costs/etc. WoW is perfectly healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    http://www.google.com/trends/explore...%20Aion&cmpt=q

According to this chart Wildstar currently holds more interest than WoW. Also, note how every new MMO that gets released lately overtakes WoW easily in interest for a good while.

WoW is about as popular as Aion right now.
    1. is true; Wildstar is getting twice as many Googles right now, but it will die down by December.
    2. WoW is actually more popular; it's just that at the moment, we are the middle of a post-expansion cycle, where interest is at it's lowest. I guarantee that WoW will pickup to it's highest levels of interest since WotLK when it launches.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZwuckeL View Post
    Just wanted to share this tool with you guys. It's pretty interesting. This is official data provided directly by Google. It shows how many queries of the different terms there were over the years.
    http://www.google.com/trends/explore...%20Wars&cmpt=q
    Even though WoW is on decline, take a look at the other MMOs and especially the recently hyped ESO and Wildstar. From the large amount of hype one could think at least Wildstar might be a huge competitor to WoW but in reality it's neglectable.
    Summarized we can say that WoW is still in a very healthy situation compared to other MMOs on the market. I'm curious how the graph changes when WoD releases.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Wow & its expansions in 1 chart is interesting to see. http://www.google.com/trends/explore...andaria&cmpt=q

Especialy the decline in interest right after cataclysm is huge
    Really not sure what your point is with this. Wildstar has been out for a month, and ESO has been out for 3 months. To compare the interest in them to a game that has been out for almost 10 years, and has had tens of millions of people play it is asinine. Those games are now around where WoW was when it started, and nearly to where WoW is now as far as your graph goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    1. is true; Wildstar is getting twice as many Googles right now, but it will die down by December.
    2. WoW is actually more popular; it's just that at the moment, we are the middle of a post-expansion cycle, where interest is at it's lowest. I guarantee that WoW will pickup to it's highest levels of interest since WotLK when it launches.
    Why, cause WoD launches? What if its a massive failure? You cannot predict the future.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we can all agree Wildstar is pretty much dead at this point. It certainly will be when WoD launches.
    Yeah, just figured out it was a troll thread now.
    Chronomancer Club

who the heck needs to search google for WOW? I actually googled ´Rift´ this week because I didn´t know their web address. Same thing with Wildstar a few weeks ago.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    Really not sure what your point is with this. Wildstar has been out for a month, and ESO has been out for 3 months. To compare the interest in them to a game that has been out for almost 10 years, and has had tens of millions of people play it is asinine. Those games are now around where WoW was when it started, and nearly to where WoW is now as far as your graph goes.
    You know what's happening to new MMOs for the last 10 years, don't you? Why do you think ESO or Wildstar will be any fifferent? It's the typical hype. They won't matter in 2015. They will be just another Age of Conan, Aion, Star Wars the old republic.

And yeah interest in WoW is melting like ice in water. But compared to that, interest in MMOs other than WoW, those are melting like ice on the sun's surface. Wildstar and ESO included
    I won't discuss just how wrong you are, being that this is a forum on a WoW website, but I hope you realize that WoD will not have nearly as much of an effect on Wildstar as you think. If someone's not upset about no flying in draenor, the laziness when it comes to the cancelled cities or the crappy story line and aging combat style, then they're most likely not going to leave WoW for anything. WoD was doomed from its conception and then further damned by its increasingly long development time.

"We're never going to make you do the same content for any longer than you had to do DS! Never! Promise!" my ass.
    That's what Gamon wants you, No, needs you to believe. Because Gamon is not the hero we deserve, but the hero we need.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    who the heck needs to search google for WOW? I actually googled ´Rift´ this week because I didn´t know their web address. Same thing with Wildstar a few weeks ago.
    Shows that you had interest in those terms. That's the point of these charts. It reflects interest

Why, cause WoD launches? What if its a massive failure? You cannot predict the future.
    Your right; it could be a failure. But Blizzard's massive add blitz during launch will still garner a ridiculous amount of attention anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't allow Game vs Game threads here and that is all this is.