Page 1 of 21
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[TV/Books]The Strain (Spoilers)

The Strain

- This thread will gain more spoilers from the episodes as the show continues, so beware -
    - If you give ANY important info from books/comics USE SPOILER TAGS -

To use spoiler tags: [ spoiler ] thing you want to say [ /spoiler ] (without spaces)

The Strain is a horror show done by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan based off a series of books also by Del Toro and Hogan.

"A plane lands at John F. Kennedy International Airport with the lights off and doors sealed. Epidemiologist Dr. Ephraim Goodweather and his team are sent to investigate. On board they find two hundred corpses and four survivors. The situation deteriorates when the bodies begin disappearing from morgues. Goodweather and a small group of helpers find themselves battling to protect not only their own loved ones, but the entire city, from an ancient threat to humanity."

More info: (Books) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strain
    More info: (Show) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strain_(TV_series)

Wondering who else watched the pilot tonight. I really enjoyed it overall, the creature design is amazing and it has a nice cast. Aside from the initial cheesy dialogue and obligatory stupid actions from government officials, I thought it was really well done, excited to see where it goes!
    Last edited by -Zait-; 2014-09-01 at 09:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My GF and I loved it! Guillermo Del Toro really has a knack for horror/monsters man. I am so glad we are getting a brutal/dark take on vampires after the god awful shite we have had recently. Enjoying the cast, especially Walder Frey(David Bradley really is a great actor) and omg its Sam Wise!! good to see him getting more roles. Really hope they don't focus too much on the kid/family drama though. I understand the need for a heroes back story/family thing but it was the weakest part of the episode.

i liked it. didnt like the autopsy scene with the music. reminded me way too much of helix. loved what dracula or whoever the main monster is looked like and the smashing head scene. kinda turned me on! im sick like that. instant flashback of game of thrones if you know what i mean

10+ Year Old Account
    i've attempted to watch it but gave up somewhere around the middle... boring as fck and so generic... also that cast, are those some random peopel from walmart or something? at least give them time to read "acting for dummies"...

15+ Year Old Account
    "A massive vampiric epidemic brought in by a plane flight that lands in New York City " Cant they come up with something better than this, its getting REALLY old...>_>
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    We recorded it, I hope to remember to watch it when I get home.

It was ok. It was a modern vampire tale that borrowed from classic vampire tales. Such as the coffin of soil - that is from original folklore of vampires, they needed to sleep in their "home turf" soil to regen. We had an old vampire hunter type, seperating head from body and burning of remains to truely kill them. Otherwise it was sorta slow, I guess they needed some character build-up. I will watch edpisode 2 before truely judging - but I know I didn't hate it.

Enjoyed the pilot, let's hope they don't ruin it.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Hey, lets open some ancient looking box thats not on the manifest in an open area without protection. Seems like a reasonable action for the cdc.

Thats always boggles me with tv shows. Professionals act like they are the biggest idiots.

Ive read the books and the comics, really enjoyed watching it. My only problem is the sword cane isnt tall enough.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    "A massive vampiric epidemic brought in by a plane flight that lands in New York City " Cant they come up with something better than this, its getting REALLY old...>_>
    Look up information on it before you judge it for being generic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Ive read the books and the comics, really enjoyed watching it. My only problem is the sword cane isnt tall enough.
    Yeah I thought the same thing, but I was thinking maybe he resized it for himself? I can't see Del Toro leaving out a random detail like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    i've attempted to watch it but gave up somewhere around the middle... boring as fck and so generic... also that cast, are those some random peopel from walmart or something? at least give them time to read "acting for dummies"...
    I don't think you quite know what you're talking about. They have a really strong cast, notably Corey Stoll from House of Cards. Second link I provided.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd forgotten that this was was coming out to be honest...thank you for the reminder! First episode was very good, in my opinion, a bit slow at times but then it was only the first episode and so there obviously has to be a build up of characters/location/etc. I'm really looking forward to the actual outbreak because if I remember the comics rightly, it builds up and up (with disappearances and such) and then it goes downhill for us humans brutally fast and that's something that's actually quite rare in zombie/vampire movies, seeing the outbreak actually building. Normally it just "happens" and then its there, or the heroes are dealing with the aftermath alone....anyway, like I say, really enjoyed the first episode and I look forward to the rest.

PS: That scene where he walks backwards (if you've seen it you know what i mean), that was creepily brilliant
    A smart man puts his money on the horse with the best odds...a wise man doesn't waste his money gambling on an outcome he has no control over.
    A blog thing for you! http://yetisteaparty.blogspot.co.uk
    A youtube thinghttp://www.youtube.com/user/Teroseth/

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    Look up information on it before you judge it for being generic.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I thought the same thing, but I was thinking maybe he resized it for himself? I can't see Del Toro leaving out a random detail like that.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you quite know what you're talking about. They have a really strong cast, notably Corey Stoll from House of Cards. Second link I provided.
    Corey Stoll is one of the most coveted actors around after his stint on HoC, he turned down a bunch of stuff for The Strain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teroseth View Post

PS: That scene where he walks backwards (if you've seen it you know what i mean), that was creepily brilliant
    It reminded me of Zoidberg a bit xD

I want it to be a gif so badly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    It reminded me of Zoidberg a bit xD

I want it to be a gif so badly.
    Haha, dammit, I can't unsee that now, I'll never be able to take that scene seriously again xD
    A smart man puts his money on the horse with the best odds...a wise man doesn't waste his money gambling on an outcome he has no control over.
    A blog thing for you! http://yetisteaparty.blogspot.co.uk
    A youtube thinghttp://www.youtube.com/user/Teroseth/

Deleted
    If Guillermo del Toro is involved you can bet your ass it has some gory weird shit going on. The man is twisted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardball View Post
    If Guillermo del Toro is involved you can bet your ass it has some gory weird shit going on. The man is twisted.
    In a super awesome way

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardball View Post
    Hhehehheehe

10+ Year Old Account
    my wife and i enjoyed the pilot episode very much, the counseling scene was a bit dry but the horror moments were fucking great. i got legitimately scared and i haven't felt that in a while....that poor man's head...definitely wasn't expecting a hulk smash to the head.

definitely going to be watching this series

Inspired by this thread, I went ahead and watched the first episode. Will be watching this, I got some nice The Passage vibes.