Thread: Taunting in PvP

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Taunting in PvP

I thought of this idea a while back and thought that you guys might be interested. So Blizzard is considering making tank specializations more viable in Player versus Player combat, which I am all for because it seems tank specializations are pretty excluded in PvP, save Guardian Druids in Rated Battlegrounds. So here is my idea and variations:

Taunting in PvP

1. Taunt can now work on enemy players. When taunted, the enemy player can only damage the player who taunted them for 5 seconds. All other players are immune to the taunted player's damage.

2. Taunt can now work on enemy players. When taunted, the enemy player has 50% increased damage against the player that taunted them.

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. I tihnk that this would be a very interesting and viable form of crowd control and peeling enemy players off healers and DPS. Just a thought worth sharing. If anyone has any ideas, improvements, or comments on this, please let me know! Cheers!

15+ Year Old Account
    In EQ2 taunts forced you to only be able to target the tank for the duration, 3-5 sec or whatever it was.

In SWtoR taunts reduced your damage by 50% unless you were targeting the tank who taunted you.

I liked those options, or maybe taunts could work like intervene in pvp and instead take the damage of the next 3 attacks or something.
    "Always wash your berries before you eat them...And fly towards the sun!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roangut View Post
    In EQ2 taunts forced you to only be able to target the tank for the duration, 3-5 sec or whatever it was.

In SWtoR taunts reduced your damage by 50% unless you were targeting the tank who taunted you.

I liked those options, or maybe taunts could work like intervene in pvp and instead take the damage of the next 3 attacks or something.
    Oh interesting, I wasn't aware other games had already implemented it. Regardless, the psuedo-intervene is also a very good idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Oh interesting, I wasn't aware other games had already implemented it. Regardless, the psuedo-intervene is also a very good idea.
    oooh SWtoR had their shit together for their honor equivalent. You earned medals from doing goals, or hitting little mini-achievements each BG. something like X kills without dying, or healing/damaging a certain amount. My favorite stat they tracked for medals was protection. it was specifically for tanks and healers, and it was the amount of damage you prevented through taunts, damage reduction CDs and such.

I played as a immortal (tank-spec) Juggernaut in PVP and I would get top medals by being the FC, holding nodes and taunting for people, peeling off healers. It was alot of fun because I actually got to be a tank in pvp and get acknowledged for it.

Huttball was a really sick BG too, kinda like starwars rugby.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    so you have a bunch of tanks in a wsg that taunt every one off the flag carrier? Would have to change parts of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    so you have a bunch of tanks in a wsg that taunt every one off the flag carrier? Would have to change parts of it.
    I mean, yeah.... I'm sure you could do that, but I have never seen a bunch of tanks and done anything but laugh. They're not exactly a threat... one or two can be problematic with healers, but anything more than that and you're really gimping your ability to kill anything.

I definitely like the taunt mechanics in SWTOR pvp. The biggest difference from SWTOR to anything WoW would do is the taunts are the same they all have a single tar and aoe taunt and they work at a fairly long range. To compare it to WoW it works the same way as intervene has in the past for dmg avoided.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, seems kinda decent in thought... but if they actually implemented it, I'm sure majority of the player base would be annoyed. Nothing is more stupid that tanks in BG's. They can't kill anyone and they don't benefit either side. Tanks overall should be strictly PvE only, that means all their abilities should be used for PvE and not PvP. Keep the game how it is, blizzard shouldn't give more tanks any reason to join a BG and pretty much guarantee a loss for their team.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Eh, seems kinda decent in thought... but if they actually implemented it, I'm sure majority of the player base would be annoyed. Nothing is more stupid that tanks in BG's. They can't kill anyone and they don't benefit either side. Tanks overall should be strictly PvE only, that means all their abilities should be used for PvE and not PvP. Keep the game how it is, blizzard shouldn't give more tanks any reason to join a BG and pretty much guarantee a loss for their team.
    They would actually serve a purpose if this was put into place. They are used more like a disc priest that eats the dmg they saved the other ppl from taking in other games though. So if they guard somebody they take a % of the dmg that the person would have taken. So they are like a more offensive minded avoidance healer in a sense.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    I definitely like the taunt mechanics in SWTOR pvp. The biggest difference from SWTOR to anything WoW would do is the taunts are the same they all have a single tar and aoe taunt and they work at a fairly long range. To compare it to WoW it works the same way as intervene has in the past for dmg avoided.
    SWTOR lacked (at least when I played it) a strong visual when a tank had taunted you. otherwise it was a pretty decent mechanic (though WoW tries to stay away from the "ability works different in PVP" where possible.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roangut View Post

I think swtor actually redirects 50% of the damage to the tank.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    no thanks, the last thing this game needs is more annoying instant trash cc

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    no thanks, the last thing this game needs is more annoying instant trash cc
    It would not be cc?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    It would not be cc?
    In what way is being forced to attack a particular target and unable to attack other targets not CC?

- - - Updated - - -

If taunt was actually going to work in PvP, it should actually cause you to:

(1) For 6 seconds
    (2) Completely lose control of your character (subject to trinket)
    (3) Target the character that taunted you
    (4) If you are a ranged class, begin attacking with best ranged attacks and start blowing cooldowns
    (5) If you are melee, attack with ranged attacks while using best gap closer and attack with best melee attacks and blow cooldowns

Honestly I think it'd be fun. It'd be a blast, really.

Impossible to balance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Didacticus Syntacticus View Post
    In what way is being forced to attack a particular target and unable to attack other targets not CC?
    I dunno, maybe the fact that you can still use any ability you want (heals, support abilities, aoe)? Do you consider a stealthed rogue CC too?, since you are unable to attack him? What about a hunter 40yd away from a paladin? Is the paladin CCd in that case? Is blessing of protection CC vs warriors?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

(1) For 6 seconds
    (4) If you are a ranged class, begin attacking with best ranged attacks and start blowing cooldowns
    (5) If you are melee, attack with ranged attacks while using best gap closer and attack with best melee attacks and blow cooldowns

That is no longer taunt. Taunt has only, what, a 2-3 second fixate effect? I'd be fine with just that in PvP. It doesn't need to be godmode in PvP, just equal to the PvE version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

15+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

(1) For 6 seconds

I would rather something like swtor where it redirects half the damage to the tank.

Warhammer online did pvp taunting best. If you taunted an enemy player, they dealt 30% less damage to all targets except the tank that taunted them. Absolutely ingenious on their part.

Taunting to redirect all damage wouldn't work as it acts as a form of 'CC' that we need less of. If taunt caused a redirect of 25% of damage dealt (or a low number like that) from target to Tank for a short duration (5s?) it maybe okay. Tanks would also need to have some sort of perma-MS debuff on them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Instead of a damage reduction, I think It'd work better as a "Spell Reflection" type ability. Taunt the enemy and their next attack/spell misses or whatever.

Taunts the target, causing the next damaging attack used within 3 seconds to miss. Doesn't work on crowd control.
    Last edited by Blithe; 2014-07-19 at 05:19 AM.

Personally, I like League of Legends system, and although it isnt an RPG it could still apply.

When you get taunted, your target stays the same but your character faces and begins auto attacking whoever taunted you (or you walk towards them). I'm not a fan of having your target swap to the person who taunted you simply because it'll be annoying as hell. I'm also not a fan of the game casting spells for you if you've been taunted.

I do think Taunt should have a place in PvP though, it would be interesting for sure, and give Tanks the niche CC that they have been missing since WoTLK. Would make them viable in 3s but probably annoying in 2s.