Thread: Questing

10+ Year Old Account

Questing

Should questing be a vital and important part of an mmo? And if it should, should it be difficult and time consuming to a point (not like Japanese grinding mmo's, more like where you do need to plan pulls, elite quests, eating and drinking every so often, takes 3-5 moves to kill something)? If not, why not? I'd make a poll but the options would either be too narrow, or there'd be way too many options.

You mean like it was in Classic?

Too many new players who have drank the kool-aid to ever go back to those times.

OT: yes I do think questing should be a vital and important part of a mmoRPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, never said like classic, though there are a few characteristics of classic questing that do appeal to me, like tougher mobs, elite quests/group quests. Also though, I hate not having enough quests in a zone and having to grind the last 2 levels on mobs. That is not good design imo.

Yes, it absolutely should.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelanor View Post
    more like where you do need to plan pulls, elite quests, eating and drinking every so often, takes 3-5 moves to kill something?
    All of that was integral to Classic WoW's questing - reason why I made the comparison.

I just can't see them ever re-doing the questing system now that you can pay to skip it all. That's basically proof of Blizzard trashing the leveling experience.

Deleted
    It should be integral, but in it's current form it kind of sucks. I'd much rather quests focused on large objectives with sub-objectives occurring naturally within them. For example rather than getting half a dozen quests revolving around infiltrating an enemy base you get one quest to take the enemy fort. Killing soldiers, destroying supplies, signalling for reinforcements would just be potential ways to complete that objective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    All of that was integral to Classic WoW's questing - reason why I made the comparison.

I just can't see them ever re-doing the questing system now that you can pay to skip it all. That's basically proof of Blizzard trashing the leveling experience.
    Indeed, though we shouldn't also forget the bad things that were part of that system too xD. And you're, they've made a philosophical decision to move away from that kind of experience.

I think it should. However, they need to be more than "kill this/gather that" quests. They should be integral and reward accordingly. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    It should be integral, but in it's current form it kind of sucks. I'd much rather quests focused on large objectives with sub-objectives occurring naturally within them. For example rather than getting half a dozen quests revolving around infiltrating an enemy base you get one quest to take the enemy fort. Killing soldiers, destroying supplies, signalling for reinforcements would just be potential ways to complete that objective.
    Nice like this. I would like to see quests that matter, kinda like in a RPG where it affects current or future events. Like the idea of questing being more of a solo thing.