Thread: Educational MMO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Not for me, I started playing Pokemon when I was 3 and I've always played Pokemon for the battles, I've never been a collecting-person.
    Wow, I don't think Pokemon even existed until I was in high school, and I never played it.

Edit: Yup, released in the US in 1998. I'd have been a Sophomore in high school.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Wow, I don't think Pokemon even existed until I was in high school, and I never played it.
    I meant 4, my bad. I was born in '94 and got Pokemon Blue just before I turned 5.

But yeah, must feel horrible knowing you were in high school when the now 20-year old franchise began.

Deleted
    This is the first MMo in a long time that I actually want to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    I meant 4, my bad. I was born in '94 and got Pokemon Blue just before I turned 5.

But yeah, must feel horrible knowing you were in high school when the now 20-year old franchise began.
    Damned kids, get off my internet!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Damned kids, get off my internet!
    You call me a fucking kid one more time and I call on mom.

I think it could be done, however making it fun to play would be extremely difficult depending on what you are trying to focus on. You would have to do it in a way that a person WANTS to do it. In other words it can't feel anything like "learning" in the school sense.

Science would probably be the "easiest" to make a game around. Typically because it's more "hands on" and explores the unknown. History could be done somewhat "easily" with time travel.

Other categories would be much more difficult to have any type of large appeal.

So yeah, It can totally be done, the only issue is making a game that people would actually want to play for fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I think it could be done, however making it fun to play would be extremely difficult depending on what you are trying to focus on. You would have to do it in a way that a person WANTS to do it. In other words it can't feel anything like "learning" in the school sense.

Science would probably be the "easiest" to make a game around. Typically because it's more "hands on" and explores the unknown. History could be done somewhat "easily" with time travel.

So yeah, It can totally be done, the only issue is making a game that people would actually want to play for fun.
    You could very easily do some good science/math games, but I'm not sure why you'd choose to do it as an MMO.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post

I want to see a math MMO.

YOU ARE NOT PREPARED...

...FOR THIS ALGEBRA PROBLEM

1st link is broken :>

Imagine building a motorcycle in WoW to sell it in the AH:
    In the process you have to calculate the differential equations of the forces involved, then chose the right materials that would both do the job and fit in the budget. Do a market research about the demand, the maximum price and the required qualities. Then make a sketch and check if you have optimal price/quality and the potential profit is high enough. After this you produce a model in a CAD software along with the required documentation, build a prototype, test it for problems and after you are ready, make the motorcycle and put it for auction in the AH. Then you will have to spend some money marketing it.
    Of course, if you made a mistake during any point of the above process, you go bankrupt.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2014-07-14 at 08:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

You know what's horrible?

I'll tell you. The feeling you get when you see a girl do a striptease performance and afterwards find out she is the sister of your childhood friend; she was born when I had already been friends with his brother for many years and I actually helped him change her diapers once!
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    and I actually helped him change her diapers once!
    Not sure if it's appropiate to make a stripper-related joke or not.

There used to be a great Maths game called Zoombinis. Sadly not an mmo, but more like a Lemmings type problem solver. It was pretty popular with the kids though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if it's appropiate to make a stripper-related joke or not.
    I'm pretty sure it is.

And btw it wasn't a joke. This is a true story.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Something that could have the potential for awesomeness would be a game based on the iconic Carmen Sandiego. History and geography could be made fun to learn with it, as could things like math, learning languages, and the like. Observational skills, putting things together to find the pattern and figure out the clues to the next locations and such. With kids talking over team speak and helping one another it would be even more awesome.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

The original black and white gameboys came out a few months before my 13th birthday. I got one of them and the Tetris cartridge. Sooo many hours lost.

I am not getting old.
    I am not getting old.
    I am not getting old.
    *cries*
    I am not g-getting old...

Deleted
    It's possible to add educational elements to some games that people already play for fun. For example the Civilization games come with an in-game encyclopedia that has information about the civilizations and concepts in the game. You don't have to read it but as you play the game you might become interested about a civilization or a famous building and if you could access concise information about it in-game and without interrupting the game too much it could add educational value to the game without really taking anything away. The Civilization games are mostly about stuff completely unrelated to education like warring and politics but they are games that people want to play for fun and it is possible to make them also slightly educational.

A game where you manage your own biodome (or a zoo) could be successful but it could indeed be really hard to make MMO style quests that are educational and don't turn the player off. Games about managing your own business or a present-day country facing more realistic issues perhaps in addition to more fantastical ones could also be successful, popular and also a bit educational. Games that are "directly" educational with puzzles etc are probably very hard to make and it might be more efficient to just get people interested in things and let them learn more if they want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bayushisan View Post
    Something that could have the potential for awesomeness would be a game based on the iconic Carmen Sandiego. History and geography could be made fun to learn with it, as could things like math, learning languages, and the like. Observational skills, putting things together to find the pattern and figure out the clues to the next locations and such. With kids talking over team speak and helping one another it would be even more awesome.
    The Carmen Sandiego games would actually be my go-to of how to do educational right.

Kids played them because they were fun. The learning was incidental, to them. And that's how you sneak geography into their heads when they aren't looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The Carmen Sandiego games would actually be my go-to of how to do educational right.

Kids played them because they were fun. The learning was incidental, to them. And that's how you sneak geography into their heads when they aren't looking.
    I remember the original Carmen Sandiego and that sucker was hard. They actually included a small atlas in the game so you could look things up as you needed to, and yeah it was fun; but some of those questions if you didn't know anything about geography. Ouch.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SignalBlitzkrieg View Post
    LF1M CPS (calculations per second) to Tomb of Trigonometry HC. 565 CS (course score) reg!!
    Must have an 135 IQ