Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Saw this on Monday. Anyone loving these last 2 movies as much as I am?

I do have a question, has anyone seen the 60's and 70's version of the these films? Any feed back on them would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by frigoffrick View Post
    Saw this on Monday. Anyone loving these last 2 movies as much as I am?

I do have a question, has anyone seen the 60's and 70's version of the these films? Any feed back on them would be great.
    what kind of feedback do you want on them? they aren't set in the same timeline. The original Planet of the Apes was set thousands of years after this.

Was just wondering if they're worth the watch or not. I do know that they are set way in the future.

Was curious if they're actually good or bad movies.

It's been a long time since I've seen them. I definitely think the first movie is a must watch though.

Cool man, thanks.

Absolutely exquisite film! Best villain in a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    These 2 movies have been my favorite movies in the last few years.

On the topic of the originals, they are good movies with a pretty nice story. But they were filled in the late 60's and early 70's so you can't expect anything spectacular graphic wise. Some of the scenes will make you giggle with how silly it is compared to now. If you can live through the outdated graphics then I would say watch it for sure.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Watch the first old one, its a classic. The others get progressively worse but bearable if you enjoy the setting.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    Watch the first old one, its a classic. The others get progressively worse but bearable if you enjoy the setting.
    Watched the first one yesterday. I have seen it before, but apparently forgot about it. I'm excited to see what they do with the new ones, if they'll go that far into the future.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just watched dawn of the planet of the apes yesterday.

I must say, I was disappointed. I was expecting something more. Some of the visuals were good, but the plot felt too predictable. You could see how the movie would end half an hour after it started.

I really enjoyed the first movie in the series with James Franco. I was expecting quite a bit more out of "Dawn of".

I would give it a 6.5/10 and its definitely not worth watching in 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranial View Post
    Just watched dawn of the planet of the apes yesterday.

I must say, I was disappointed. I was expecting something more. Some of the visuals were good, but the plot felt too predictable. You could see how the movie would end half an hour after it started.

I really enjoyed the first movie in the series with James Franco. I was expecting quite a bit more out of "Dawn of".

I would give it a 6.5/10 and its definitely not worth watching in 3D.
    I'm so over 3D. It's getting to the point it's just a simple cash grab. There was zero 3D effects in that movie, I agree. They need to stop with it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    what kind of feedback do you want on them? they aren't set in the same timeline. The original Planet of the Apes was set thousands of years after this.
    What? I was under the impression that the two new movies fit the old timeline just fine since they occur in the timeline where Charlton Heston's goes into the future (there's a mention to the character in one of the newspapers/tv news during the first movie).

Charlton Heston's character looks at his year dial before he falls into a slumber and I swear it says it's the year two thousand something. As he wakes up it's the year 3978. Apparently according to Wikipedia, he wakes up 2006 years later, which would make it 1972 when his ship took off on it's voyage.

In the newest Dawn of the planet of the apes, is the year not 2026?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    What? I was under the impression that the two new movies fit the old timeline just fine since they occur in the timeline where Charlton Heston's goes into the future (there's a mention to the character in one of the newspapers/tv news during the first movie).
    Also, what part of the first movie do they make the reference? I'm gonna try to buy every version of the movies. I'll definitely look out for the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by frigoffrick View Post
    Charlton Heston's character looks at his year dial before he falls into a slumber and I swear it says it's the year two thousand something. As he wakes up it's the year 3978. Apparently according to Wikipedia, he wakes up 2006 years later, which would make it 1972 when his ship took off on it's voyage.

In the newest Dawn of the planet of the apes, is the year not 2026?
    Could just be a retcon of when he launched or the anniversary of his disappearance. I'd have to find that scene in the James Franco one again to confirm unless someone else already has and posted it somewhere.

Personally Rise and Dawn are my favorite movies ever and I absolutely love the classic....BUT beneath, conquest, escape, and battle (not in that order) get progressively worse and have more and more political commentary in them. I would recommend watching them all just for the story and to get the whole concept but dont expect them to be as good as Rise and Dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    timeline is probably the wrong term. I just meant that they aren't set in the same time. The first movie is supposed to be in the year 3978 AD.

I thought the movie was really good, albeit it a little slow to get to the important parts of the movie.

The C.G.I. work done though was really good, and the plot was well presented but it was kind of annoying that the entire movie was basically a build up for another movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Njorn View Post
    Personally Rise and Dawn are my favorite movies ever and I absolutely love the classic....BUT beneath, conquest, escape, and battle (not in that order) get progressively worse and have more and more political commentary in them. I would recommend watching them all just for the story and to get the whole concept but dont expect them to be as good as Rise and Dawn.
    That's the plan. The original 68 version was on netflix, that's why I decided to watch it yesterday. I'll have to find the others, cause I am very interested in watching them for exactly what you said... the story and concept.

I liked it, was sad that Koba is labeled as a villain, when he is actually the hero of the movie. It seemed very similar to the first, which was a bit annoying but if any of my friends wanted to see it, i'd go along for a second showing.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Yes, I'd go see it a second time as well.

Also, watched Beneath the planet of the Apes yesterday. Those humans that are under ground that can talk with their minds... good god they are terrifying. They remind me of Darth Vader but with more crazy veins in their faces.