Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    This forum will not support the lore theory. Warning you now. Most of the more prevalent posters could give a flying f#$@

But I agree, it's rediculous.
    Last edited by Cyclonus-WOW; 2014-07-17 at 09:36 PM.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Gladiator's Resolve Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bosch View Post
    Warriors are hereos that draw thier super human strength from thier relentless fury and thier unstoppeble willpower to fight on til the end of days.

Deleted
    Ever seen boomerangs? Same principle, except amplified by warrior manliness.

Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    Ever seen boomerangs? Same principle, except amplified by warrior manliness.
    The ability is dumb enough that this sort of comment makes sense. Why don't they just have warriors throw their beard and have that spin around for thousands of damage per second.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Gladiator's Resolve Blog

Warriors are hereos that draw thier super human strength from thier relentless fury and thier unstoppeble willpower to fight on til the end of days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I see it like this: a Warrior's proficiency and attunement to his or her weapons (and armor) is so strong that they are able to tap into the innate magic *within* the weapon itself. So the magic in question isn't the Warrior's, as they have no training in magic of any kind, but the bond between Warrior and weapon is such that they can use the weapon's own enchantment(s) to perform feats that defy normal physics.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post

Avatar is you pretty much going berserk (it's death wish without the death wish pretty much), nothing magical about it.

Stormbolt, see Moutain King description by other poster above. Thunderclap falls under the same thing. Still mostly physical. If you throw your weapon really friggin' hard at someone's face it's going to do more than just stun them. Shockwave, you just hit the ground so hard it shattered the Earth beneath your target; again nothing magical.
    But avatar increases your size, makes you skin stone/metal and your eyes glow yellow. I mean if that's not magic I don't know what it is. Stormbolt regardless has magical properties with the lightning swirling around a hammer and a gnome using enough force to shatter earth? Please!

I know warriors don't use magic it's just the little ways I like to explain the spells to myself

If you look at the traditional Fighter class from D&D you see that when they level up to epic levels ( 20+ ) they usually change to some sort of "advanced class" which is a flavor of Fighter.

Since the Fighter is very similar to the Warrior in WOW ( Of which I've played both for a decade or more ) I like to think of the WOW Warrior as a fighter than has access to three different Advanced Classes. Arms, Fury and Protection and now Glad which is slightly different than Prot.

If I were doing the design of the class it would definitely have a "flavor" to each spec. While I do believe gameplay IS #1, I also believe they could hire someone who kept the flavor going regardless of the changes. I just don't buy that they can't do both.

I mean, If warriors need to spin a weapon around in the air for some reason (lol), why wouldn't a Glad Warrior's ravager be a shield spinning around or a Bola, or Fury would be two different weapons. Obviously even THAT idea could be refined, but the majority reason it needs refinement is because of the lack of distinction between them that already exists, and how stupid a spinning weapon in the air is. It's basically Frost Orb, but makes NO sense.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Gladiator's Resolve Blog

10+ Year Old Account
    i once threw a frisby that traveled a few feet and then started hovering over my mailbox for 2 seconds before it flung itself a completely random direction.

I feel the same way. I don't like the fire and thunder "spells" either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonus-WOW View Post
    If you look at the traditional Fighter class from D&D you see that when they level up to epic levels ( 20+ ) they usually change to some sort of "advanced class" which is a flavor of Fighter.

Since the Fighter is very similar to the Warrior in WOW ( Of which I've played both for a decade or more ) I like to think of the WOW Warrior as a fighter than has access to three different Advanced Classes. Arms, Fury and Protection and now Glad which is slightly different than Prot.

If I were doing the design of the class it would definitely have a "flavor" to each spec. While I do believe gameplay IS #1, I also believe they could hire someone who kept the flavor going regardless of the changes. I just don't buy that they can't do both.

I mean, If warriors need to spin a weapon around in the air for some reason (lol), why wouldn't a Glad Warrior's ravager be a shield spinning around or a Bola, or Fury would be two different weapons. Obviously even THAT idea could be refined, but the majority reason it needs refinement is because of the lack of distinction between them that already exists, and how stupid a spinning weapon in the air is. It's basically Frost Orb, but makes NO sense.
    You guys need to remember. It is a fantasy game. Talking dragons make no sense. Space Goats make no sense. Time travel/alternate universe makes no sense. Murlocs make no sense, especially with the amount of genocide we've inflicted upon their species over the years. God damn Hogger has come back to life two or three times now!

Fantasy games are grounded in realism. That doesn't mean they have to be entirely realistic. I don't understand how people think Avengers Shield spinning and bouncing is more realistic than a weapon spinning around. Shields, big heavy metal objects do not bounce. "The Light" doesn't give Paladins the ability to magically alter gravity so that their shields fly through the air either. Its simply cool and flavorful.

Why does a Gladiators Ravager not spin a shield instead of a weapon? It isn't laziness or poor design, its simply the flavor.

1) It would actually take away from the talent. Being that it is brand new and not an old over used animation it doesn't need a facelift or alternate artwork to be interesting.

2) The whole idea is throwing your weapon (or as I like to think of it, throwing a backup weapon, since obviously it doesn't disarm you, I imagine Warriors "masters of weaponry" would carry around more than one weapon, ala Heroic Throw, it just looks cooler using your weapon graphic instead of a generic icon), not throwing your shield.

3) Along with 2, it would overlap into Paladins and then we'd have QQ over stealing their uniqueness BS.

4) It doesn't need distinction. It is a common talent across the specs.

Warriors are still Warriors, regardless of spec. A Protection/Gladiator is still a master of weaponry regardless if they also use a Shield or not. Going Protection doesn't suddenly make them "masters of Shields" instead of Weapons or anything. I really don't see it as a huge problem that they aren't suddenly throwing around their Shields, Captain America style. Go roll a Paladin if that is what you want.

Deleted
    I play a warrior and love it, but if you think about it warriors get the short end of the stick.
    I mean druids can shapeshift and fight with nature itself, Mages call down immense magics, Warlocks summon demons for the depths of the nether, Shamans can command the elements, Hunter tame the wild and use it and have guns.. Paladins and priests use holy magics, Death knights use death an decay itself as a weapon, Rogues unseen and unheard....
    Warriors um yeah i just hit stuff till it stops moving...Look i can spin around and shout and junk... Also i was given some flags but nobody liked them..

Here's a good example xD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8yogdKUD58
    Last edited by mmocd969a05f4a; 2014-07-17 at 10:59 PM.

And on the whole magical post. You can argue all day until you decide what constitutes the extent of magical powers. In most magical universes, pure strength is never as powerful as what magic can do (unless they have some kind of lawl immunity), because there is little to no limit to magical powers.

That said, nowhere in the Warcraft universe was it ever said that Warriors had no magical powers whatsoever, or couldn't use them. Unlike some fictional settings where things like Psychic or Magical powers are things you are either born with or not, in the World of Warcraft universe those powers are learned. Some characters may show more of an aptitude or innate proficiency with magical powers but they are still taught how to access the powers around them, whether they be magical (Mage), Elemental (shamanistic) or otherwise.

There are also many examples of cross classing throughout the game, so it is completely probable (though not likely due to the amount of training, and years of practice required) that a Warrior could learn how to harness magical energies.

In fact Paladins originally were a cross class, in WC2 they were introduced as priests (clerics they were called at the time) who took up arms and Warrior training. World of Warcraft even contemplated allowing a type of cross classing via Hero classes, which in its original concept was allowing each class to unlock one or more new talent tier of Hero Class skills; but that proved way too problematic and conflicting with the actual talent trees to ever take off and instead we got Death Knights.

In the World of Warcraft universe this is offset by the fact that most characters (and all classes for balancing reasons) stick to a single discipline instead of juggling multiple skill sets. It still happens though, giving us things like Battle Mages, Spellbreakers, or basically everything Elven.

Still it really isn't a large stretch to say something like;

"Warriors are powerful heroes who have devoted themselves to the mastery of weapons. Their martial prowess fueled by their rage allows them to tap into powerful primal energies allowing them to deliver blows so powerful they crack the very earth, channel energy through their weapons until they burst into flames, and even ignite the air around them as their rage burns ever hotter during combat."

You have to remember that the entire World (of Warcraft) is magical in nature. Warriors are not "blanks" (to borrow from a Warhammer 40k term), they simply do not train in the magical arts. That doesn't mean they are not capable of extraordinary feats that could often be considered magical.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how warriors can pull a banner out of the asses and buff their friends and debuff enemies

Quote Originally Posted by shogunit3 View Post
    I like how warriors can pull a banner out of the asses and buff their friends and debuff enemies
    Demo banner has a picture of their mother doing sexual acts.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    You guys need to remember. It is a fantasy game. Talking dragons make no sense. Space Goats make no sense. Time travel/alternate universe makes no sense. Murlocs make no sense, especially with the amount of genocide we've inflicted upon their species over the years. God damn Hogger has come back to life two or three times now!
    Talking Dragons make sense. Dragons have superior intelligence.
    Space Goats make sense, because they're Goat People. People is the important part.
    Time Travel/Alt Universe makes sense when explained.
    Murlocs act tribal and are small tribal creatures, they also act socially and call like 20 of their friends whenever you hit one.

Sorry Arch, I disagree. I know they can do better than a weapon bouncing around in the air in circles. They've only been doing "better" the entire time. Why not a Rage elemental? YEAH Summon a spinning rage elemental you place that has a similar effect... ( this might be why i'm not a designer haha ). I'm not against there being "magic" in the warrior lore either. I just don't like this one talent. And I would have designed the specs to be more distinct flavor wise.

Also since you mention Warhammer. I think by level 100 we should be Primarch's. Just sayin
    Last edited by Cyclonus-WOW; 2014-07-18 at 04:52 AM.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Gladiator's Resolve Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cokecan View Post
    I play a warrior and love it, but if you think about it warriors get the short end of the stick.
    I mean druids can shapeshift and fight with nature itself, Mages call down immense magics, Warlocks summon demons for the depths of the nether, Shamans can command the elements, Hunter tame the wild and use it and have guns.. Paladins and priests use holy magics, Death knights use death an decay itself as a weapon, Rogues unseen and unheard....
    Warriors um yeah i just hit stuff till it stops moving...Look i can spin around and shout and junk... Also i was given some flags but nobody liked them..

Here's a good example xD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8yogdKUD58
    I see it the opposite actually, but I do get your point. Warriors do not rely on magic, pets, poison, death or light to fight. It is the warrior and his weapon/shield. THAT to me is extremely badass. Pure, raw power. Scary, unquenchable thirst for power and the ability to crush opponents with your sheer strength.

I think ravager is a cool ability, I think the animation doesn't make much sense. However, Avatar's animation doesn't make much sense either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shogunit3 View Post
    Warriors are refined in the art of propaganda.

- - - Updated - - -

This forum will not support the lore theory. Warning you now. Most of the more prevalent posters could give a flying f#$@

But I agree, it's rediculous.
    Yes, I quickly gathered that! Thanks for agreeing though!

Lmao, is this thread for real?

You mean an ability where a dude throws an axe to a specific point and then watches as the axe flails around in a perfect circle over and over again for several seconds without any form of magical abilities doesn't seem possible?

No shit xD

Honestly, I saw Nazgrim do it, and thought it was a disservice to that character. However, that weapon moved from one side of the room to the next. Kind of like throwing a frisbee. Which to me, is better. It's not good, but it's better than the new ravager IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post

You mean an ability where a dude throws an axe to a specific point and then watches as the axe flails around in a perfect circle over and over again for several seconds without any form of magical abilities doesn't seem possible?

No shit xD
    It kind of flips and spins around around like we cast magehand on the weapon. If it was spinning in a perfect circle over and over again it'd be a whirlwind. There's another idea that would be better than this, A little tornado. Just like the Run Like the Wind ability in D3.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Gladiator's Resolve Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post

No shit xD
    You have clearly misunderstood the purpose of this post. We are taking lore perspective on the ability within a fictional world and how the ability doesn't fit with a warrior. More importantly the animation.

Honestly, I saw Nazgrim do it, and thought it was a disservice to that character. However, that weapon moved from one side of the room to the next. Kind of like throwing a frisbee. Which to me, is better. It's not good, but it's better than the new ravager IMO.

It kind of flips and spins around around like we cast magehand on the weapon. If it was spinning in a perfect circle over and over again it'd be a whirlwind. There's another idea that would be better than this, A little tornado. Just like the Run Like the Wind ability in D3.
    I still stand by my concept of tying a string from your weapon to the tail of a cat and throwing the cat at the enemy.

gameplay > lore

every. single. time.