Page 1 of 23
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

why is everyone ignoring the african ebola outbreak?

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/guinea/
    a potentially deadly pandemic is forming and not a single thread about it on mmo champ.
    getting close to a thousand cases. the worst ebola outbreak in history and no one seems to care about the global ramifications. meanwhile it continues to spread and is looking like it might start spreading to other countries.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2014-07-31 at 01:00 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

what can we do about it?

10+ Year Old Account
    and people ignored the West Nile Outbreak in North Texas in 2012. There's nothing you can really do about it as an individual not in the health profession

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    and people ignored the West Nile Outbreak in North Texas in 2012. There's nothing you can really do about it as an individual not in the health profession
    pretty sure that was actually on the news. i havent seen anything about the ebola pandemic aside from internet articles.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

I don't think it's a matter of people ignoring it so much as it's a matter of the mainstream media not being great at raising awareness of world issues unless it can be done in a way that fits a particular agenda. Simply looking at Sky News I see no mention of this outbreak, yet the same story regarding the recent airline tragedy is plastered all over the site.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    pretty sure that was actually on the news. i havent seen anything about the ebola pandemic.
    Ive seen plenty. Also, as an attendee at the GIS conference this year, several of the projects were about that. The people that matter are paying attention to it.

Deleted
    no one seems to care about the global ramifications
    Such as? Aside from yet another Red Cross collection in your local stores and streets, I hardly see ramifications for this. Besides, it's Ebola. It's an evil we know. You should be a lot more worried about the Spanish Flu virus that was created in a lab just a few weeks back. Just wait until shit like that gets weaponized and released into the public.

10+ Year Old Account
    a potentially deadly pandemic is forming and not a single thread about it on mmo champ.
    getting close to a thousand cases. the worst outbreak in history and no one seems to care about the global ramifications. meanwhile it continues to spread and is looking like it might start spreading to other countries.
    It's not a pandemic if it doesn't have the chance to become global in scale. Ebola kills people fast enough that it's not liable to travel any significant distance.

Now, it's sad it's happening, an awful disease, but it's not about to start popping up all over the place in Texas, and even if it did, it would be fairly easily containable in a first world country.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Germs for example!

Uh-huh. In the eighteenth century, no such thing, nada, nothing. No one ever imagined such a thing.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Such as? Aside from yet another Red Cross collection in your local stores and streets, I hardly see ramifications for this. Besides, it's Ebola. It's an evil we know. You should be a lot more worried about the Spanish Flu virus that was created in a lab just a few weeks back. Just wait until shit like that gets weaponized and released into the public.
    Yeah, certain types of Influenza are FAR more scary than Ebola.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or the fact that the NIH just now found several vials of smallpox virus that were lost in an old lab for a long time.

http://www.npr.org/2014/07/08/329884...ls-of-smallpox

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Srsly, new H1N1 killed a dozen people here in January. Put my Mother in ICU for over a month. That's not even the worst of them.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

What am I supposed to do about it? What are any of us supposed to do about it? It's up to the governments, UN, and WHO to handle it. The most the US can probably do is offer some CDC people or send some financial aid. Money and health experts from EU, China, Russia, etc. is about all they can do as well.

I've been reading news on it, but personally taking action when it comes to curbing diseases is not really something you can do until it is happening in your country / region.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

10+ Year Old Account
    People who are scared about an "ebola pandemic" are people who know nothing about how the disease spreads and how quickly it kills people.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    ebola is much worse than the spanish flu.

looking like it might start spreading to other countries.
    It's extremely difficult for it to spread into civilized society. You need to have direct contact through an open wound (or direct contact via your nasal cavity) with the infected person's feces or blood.

Absolutely not, the threat Ebola presents is nowhere remotely close to something like the Spanish Flu.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

getting close to a thousand cases. the worst outbreak in history and no one seems to care about the global ramifications. meanwhile it continues to spread and is looking like it might start spreading to other countries.
    Our media ignores pretty much everything that happens in Africa unless its Egypt because everyone has heard about Egypt. Try to find much coverage about CAR right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, no it's not.

People killed by the Spanish Flu over the course of 2 years: 50-100 million
    People ever killed by Ebola: I can't find the number, but the current outbreak has killed 142. Edit: 1300 deaths total.

I didn't realize that starting threads on mmo-champ was a cure for ebola

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Isnt Ebola like 75% kill rate with no treatment? Spanish Flu was bad, but I don't think it was that bad