New player gear question

I just started playing last week as a F2P player. I'm not sure if I fully understand the gear system yet.

Take green gear as the base. Blue gear is better stats with a lower required level. Purple gear is better stats for the level, but with upgradable sockets that are already filled and require an authorization unlock. Orange gear is the same as purple gear, but has upgradeable slots that are empty and usable without an authorization unlock.

With the rate of planetary commendations from missions/drops and cost of socket items: why would anyone buy blue gear as a F2P player, or purple/blue gear as a non-F2P player?

I can understand going all out green/mission items if you are trying to make money off the storage boxes from the commendations. Otherwise, you can almost fully outfit your character with orange items when you complete Taris at ~25 if you also run flashpoints.
    Last edited by Woogs; 2014-07-18 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woogs View Post
    With the rate of planetary commendations from missions/drops and cost of socket items: why would anyone buy blue gear as a F2P player, or purple/blue gear as a non-F2P player?
    Elite commendations buy you purple gear. Getting the same level of mods and armorings for your orange gear will cost you literally millions in credits. That's why you get purple gear.

Blue gear was more valuable when the game launched because orange moddable gear was relatively rare. Now every outfit is moddable (and most are even adaptable) so players are usually much better off using that.

I recommend cybertech to anyone who is new and making a first character. With that you can easily manufacture a full set of armornings for your orange gear and keep you and your companion much better geared. Planetary comms are best used for mods/enhancements since they are really cheap.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Thanks for the info. I already trained underworld trading. I've been making bank selling terenthium bars.