View Poll Results: What type of class should the next one be?

Voters
209. This poll is closed
  • 3 role hybrid (Tank/Heal/DPS)

61 29.19%
  • 2 role hybrid (Tank/DPS, Tank/Heal, or Heal/DPS)

75 35.89%
  • Single role (DPS only)

73 34.93%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Jesus, I hoped they would stop at DK.

Monk was already unnecessary since they had to create dodgy lore to implement it.

Monks should've simply been a priest rogue paladin hybrid and left as an RPG class rather than an ingame one.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Monk was already unnecessary since they had to create dodgy lore to implement it.
    The problem isn't really in the lore.. they can really work in just about anything to the lore since we have an ongoing storyline, so if it was just that, there's be no problem with adding any number of new classes.

The problem is mechanics and design space. There's only so many different character archetypes, and only so many mechanical ways to make monster HP approach 0 while player HP remains above 0. As such, every new class implemented takes away design space that would have otherwise been available to other classes. If you imagine a game with 50 different classes, it's easy to picture the fact that there would be a fair bit of copying with minor variations somewhere. Blizzard tries to effectively make each individual spec its own "class" - and we're already at 34 of those, so we're not too far off.

Monks were a bit of a stretch, and I say this as someone that plays one. Mistweaver brought something interesting to Healing because of its melee-range healer mechanics and bouncing/untargeted heals, which was previously unused. Brewmaster just barely made it with the new Stagger mechanic - but otherwise the mechanics of the class are a hybrid of Druids and DKs. Windwalker is frankly the most uninspired spec in the entire game, and (in my opinion) the most mechanically boring - and that's largely because it's yet another dual-wielding melee class, and there's only so much room for that idea that hasn't already been claimed by rogues, shamans, warriors, or DKs.

Another new class, particularly if that class had a tank or heal spec, would have to be extraordinarily creative to find a niche that wouldn't make someone or another feel like they were infringing upon their space.

That's why a new class is a bad idea. I'd rather they use any scraps of new ideas that may still exist out there to beef up the diversity of classes that already feel too similar between different specs (e.g., Hunters, Rogues, and Windwalkers).

Could use a non-tank at the very least. Both new classes have had a tank spec available. Diversity in tanking styles really can't go much further and if tanks still are as underplayed as some people think, I don't think throwing in new styles is gonna help.

If anything, a pure DPS could spice things up considering there's less pure classes than both healing capable classes AND tank capable classes. Sure, every class can DPS, but that doesn't mean bringing in new styles or ideas are a bad thing. What they did with DKs and brought in active mitigation is a huge plus. Can only hope they'd bring a gamechanger for DPS as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    He's telling you upfront what's going to take. It's not ninja looting. It's pirate looting! YAARRRR!!!

5 classes can tank, 5 classes can heal, all 11 can dps. A hybrid heal/tank would be pretty cool since we don't have a class that can't dps. I'd like 1 tank spec, 1 heal spec and 1 tank spec that takes more damage than other tank specs but does more self healing than other tank specs as well as more raid healing/raid cooldowns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanberry View Post
    The problem isn't really in the lore.. they can really work in just about anything to the lore since we have an ongoing storyline, so if it was just that, there's be no problem with adding any number of new classes.

The problem is mechanics and design space. There's only so many different character archetypes, and only so many mechanical ways to make monster HP approach 0 while player HP remains above 0. As such, every new class implemented takes away design space that would have otherwise been available to other classes. If you imagine a game with 50 different classes, it's easy to picture the fact that there would be a fair bit of copying with minor variations somewhere. Blizzard tries to effectively make each individual spec its own "class" - and we're already at 34 of those, so we're not too far off.

Monks were a bit of a stretch, and I say this as someone that plays one. Mistweaver brought something interesting to Healing because of its melee-range healer mechanics and bouncing/untargeted heals, which was previously unused. Brewmaster just barely made it with the new Stagger mechanic - but otherwise the mechanics of the class are a hybrid of Druids and DKs. Windwalker is frankly the most uninspired spec in the entire game, and (in my opinion) the most mechanically boring - and that's largely because it's yet another dual-wielding melee class, and there's only so much room for that idea that hasn't already been claimed by rogues, shamans, warriors, or DKs.

Another new class, particularly if that class had a tank or heal spec, would have to be extraordinarily creative to find a niche that wouldn't make someone or another feel like they were infringing upon their space.
    Technology class (Tinker/Mechanic/Artificer/Technician/Inventor/Siegecrafter/Mekgineer/Gearmaster) says hello.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather they made the existing classes all have four specs, but if they HAD to have one more class, it would probably be better to have a 3 role hybrid. IMO, anyway.

Get some old roles back ( CC and debuffer ), make them engaging to play and widen the whole thing.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    melee tank/ranged DPS/ranged tank(pet?) would be interesting.

i hate how all the tank classes' DPS specs are melee (okey, apart from druid, but i don't like the shape shifting part of that class at all)
    This is a signature, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be awesome for a pure dps that is range/melee to be brought in.