Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    The poor man's excuse is really not holding up. OR you play in a full fledged MMO, or you take advanced COD closed maps; glued together with some loading screens and call it an open world PvP game.

There is NO excuse for NOT having mounts or other forms of transports.

Other than cutting corners.
    Poor mans excuse for not having systems you already have? Ok....

I can think of an excuse for not having mounts. It is a really good one i think. The map is dotted with way points you can instantly travel to? Once again a mount would a be a system they don't really need. I have never missed a mount in GW2 out side of WvWvW . Different games have different systems. What works in one game is not needed in another. You think they don't have/do something wow does is that they can't instead of don't want/need but feel free to ignore that part and tell me how awesome wow is again.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    I notice that you ignored my point about being able to pay to skip WoWs wonderful "seamless" content. As you always do with any point raised that doesn't fit into your world view.

Gameplay is more important than the technology behind it. If WoW and its seamless world is so wonderful, why are people prepared to pay $60 a character to skip it?
    Well this technology of GROUPING players across servers in real time over ALL content of WOW is certainly helping gameplay.

People are able to skip the first 90 lvls IF they want to. But they can play anything if they want to.

Just simple options. The fact of the matter is, WOW is now pretty independant of player numbers due to changes in the backbone structure.

They retained WOW but advanced it with the help of newer technology. And even expanding on it.

-------

Who would have thought this just a few years ago ?

I saw "serious" posts on mmorpg.com from 2007 that WOW would be under 1.000.000 players by ... 2009.

I see the same kind of idiotic reasoning for 2016. Perhaps that guy who wrote it back in 2007 never thought about open world cross server play, transmog or phasing.

----

But in any case the example above shows everything really.

The WOW hating troll never changes ... he ONLY adapts to new subjects which are redundant within 12 months at the most.

The themes were "everyone dresses the same" and "empty worlds" and are NOW transmogged to "content draught" and "Garrisons are not player housing".

Great, I wonder what's next years' Troll Theme.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-07-25 at 06:13 PM.

Well this technology of GROUPING players across servers in real time over ALL content of WOW is certainly helping gameplay.
    Irrelevent. Congratulations.

People are able to skip the first 90 lvls IF they want to. But they can play anything if they want to.

Just simple options.
    Yes, I understand that it's an option. But it's an option people are taking, despite the cost. People are willing to pay the cost of a brand new AAA game to simply NOT play this wonderful seamless world. Does that sound good to you? Oh hell, what am I saying, of course it does.

Gameplay > technology. Always.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Irrelevent. Congratulations.

Gameplay > technology. Always.
    Oops you are more ignorant than I thought.

What about this: no connected players = no game (first principle of a Multi mass on line game is that players are regrouped).

If that's no game play feature I advice you to join Mark Jacobs who was able to split up WAR into fraction of 6 men "RvR zones" each in 4 complete different sections PER non connected server and turning players even into chicken when they went to another Tier ...

So yes with that statement above, it shows you have NO clue.

Regrouping players in an on line game is the first principle of game play first in an MMORPG.

I would even say that that principle was the first game play feature of Blizzard that made WOW fabulous: Always group up the players over the content.

Imagine the old Vanilla WOW with non cross server mechanics over 90 lvls of content .... and 120 dungeons, 60 raids and 60-70 BG's (seperate per 5 ranks) and 8 Arena's .... and how many (120?) open world zones ....

WOW, you just blew my mind.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-07-25 at 06:36 PM.

But in any case the example above shows everything really.

The WOW hating troll never changes ... he ONLY adapts to new subjects which are redundant within 12 months at the most.

The themes were "everyone dresses the same" and "empty worlds" and are NOW transmogged to "content draught" and "Garrisons are not player housing".

Great, I wonder what's next years' Troll Theme.
    So a content drought of over a year isn't a problem then? Is that a good thing to have in an MMO then?

Of course, I can predict your response.......

"There is so much to do in WoW that content droughts are a good thing. They give players a chance to catch up on all the content they haven't been able to do. Otherwise they would feel like they were falling behind all the time. Content droughts are the sign of a good MMO. Bad MMOs like GW2 give updates every two weeks. That's terrible, that makes the poor players feel like they have to work really hard to keep up with the content".

Followed by 15 edits, numerous repeated phrases and another "troll" insult to anyone that disagrees with you. Sound about right?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

So a content drought of over a year isn't a problem then? Is that a good thing to have in an MMO then?

Of course, I can predict your response.......

"There is so much to do in WoW that content droughts are a good thing. They give players a chance to catch up on all the content they haven't been able to do. Otherwise they would feel like they were falling behind all the time. Content droughts are the sign of a good MMO. Bad MMOs like GW2 give updates every two weeks. That's terrible, that makes the poor players feel like they have to work really hard to keep up with the content".

Followed by 15 edits, numerous repeated phrases and another "troll" insult to anyone that disagrees with you. Sound about right?
    The content drought argument will be redundant in a few months time, just like all those other old troll arguments.

They have no meaning, no long term significance. They are just the latest fad of things, just like "my mines are being stolen from me" 12 months ago, because the world is too populated... (sic).

People who love to play WOW have ALWAYS things to play for in this game. People who left WOW and find it a game of disgust will always find a way to hate it.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-07-25 at 06:43 PM.

Not true.

The 1.6 billion part was the maximum of Blizzard total. Not WOW alone. Blizzard makes other games too and you know that.

Mostly it was around 1.1 to 1.3 billion dollars for ATVI's WOW, dependant IF there was an expansion or not for that year.

The Blizzard's 1.6 was an absolute high with 12 million Diablo's 3 sold on top. That was 2012.

Actually Blizzard made its first billion+ in 2007... And that was the total company's revenue.

As you ALL know 2013 did not even have an expansion.
    You are correct that WOW did not make $1.6billion, I was on my way out when I posted and didn't have time to check, however it was $1.42billion non-GAAP in 2010.

Notice that I wrote "...depending on expansions launches." so please take your bold nonsense elsewhere.

MMO revenue in 2007 was $1024million total revenue was $1349million.

To hark back to GAAP and non-GAAP revenues the GAAP figure of $912million includes $107million which was deferred from the previous year 2012 which did have an expansion. If you discount the deferred, expansion, income WOW had $805million go through the books for 2013 which I am sure, even, you can see is significantly less $1.42billion.

Deleted
    Still, at least WoW doesn't have loading screens. Except for when you switch continents. Oh, or go into the northern part of Eastern Kingdoms. Or enter a raid. Or a BG. Or a dungeon. Yes indeedy, none of those pesky loading screens in WoW. It's part of what makes it the bestest MMO in the whole wide world ever, don't you know.
    I lolled

We all know Benbos is full of shit on this loading screen subject, we all know its totally irrelevant to any meaningful discussion about MMOs... but hey its fun to rip the shit out of his posts :P

- - - Updated - - -

Well it explains why Blizzard made the most successful MMO of the last decade for those interested.
    No.

It really doesnt...

It really does only show that u r the only person who gives a shit about loading screens in MMOs... nobody else cares.... Honestly they dont.

The content drought argument will be redundant in a few months time, just like all those other old troll arguments.

They have no meaning, no long term significance. They are just the latest fad of things, just like "my mines are being stolen from me" 12 months ago, because the world is too populated... (sic).

People who love to play WOW have ALWAYS things to play for in this game. People who left WOW and find it a game of disgust will always find a way to hate it.
    Even by your standards, utterly hilarious. So a content drought of 15 months is going to be "redundant" because eventually Blizzard will get around to releasing some new content. Even at my most sarcastic, I wouldn't have thought of that one. Keep it up BenBos, if you carry on giving me this much entertainment, I may have to start paying YOU a subscription.

How do you work that one out? If the Cata content drought is anything to go by it possible there will be a million plus lost in subs by the time WOD ships and I would not say for certain that will be able to attract and retain many of those lost players.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    guild wars 2 doesn't have a subscription. but, according to the financial statements of NCSoft, it did make 115.9 million dollars last year so it would be above lotro on that list. Also have to figure the dubious way of superdata getting all of those numbers. In order to find out the methodology you have to pay them and subscribe to them to get that data.
    Oh that makes much more sense. Hope to get word on Wildstar.