Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Warcraft 1-2-3 worth it?

Hello

I just got Warcraft 3 the other day purely to experience the story of Arthas. However, I ended up enjoying the gameplay more than I expected as I am not a RTS fan. My problem is - I am being introduced to many characters that I've only heard of through WoW and I am beginning to think that I should have started with Warcraft 1.
    So my question is, "am I doin it wrong?". Are there any experienced players out there that would strongly advise me to start from the beginning or is the gameplay drastically different? is the story even that great before Warcraft 3?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would pretty much say Warcraft III is all you really need. There is a LOT of lore in that game and the 2nd part of III

WC3 is like the beginning of WoW. if you wanna play warcraft 1 and 2, you're gonna need dosbox.

warcraft 1 is kind of non cannon for a good portion of it.

personally id wait until blizzcon since they hinted at last blizzcon that they were remaking (or atleast rereleasing) all the old warcraft games.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I'd start from WC2 since we're going to be revisiting Draenor and all the old Orc characters that were killed off.
    Plus it's an extremely fun game, such a classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I'd say all you need is WC III and The frozen throne. I say this because orcs and humans is mostly ret-conned and Warcraft 2 can be read in a book for better story presentation, also half of WC II is non-canon (Orc half) In WC III grom's part of the orc storyline is important for upcoming wow content, gives you an idea of his WoD personality (He's a jerk and is quite a bit like his son if a wee bit more subtle). As for the night elves it's pretty much status quo.
    (PS, I don't see why people want WC III tyrande back, she's just as much an idiot as she was in varians scenario, but maybe a little more bad ass, but still pretty freakin' stupid).

But yeah, Warcraft III is the true heart of Warcraft. Not 'Orcs and Humans' like blizzard constantly insists.

If you are interested in gameplay Warcraft 2 is the only title worthwhile of the three.

It certainly helps, although WC3 was where a lot of the modern storylines began. Warcraft 1 and 2 are mostly about the core Orc/Human conflict.

You can take them or leave them, personally I love WC1 and WC2 though. They are true RTS though, no hero character RPG esque mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    WC3 is like the beginning of WoW. if you wanna play warcraft 1 and 2, you're gonna need dosbox.
    DOSBox is really easy to use though.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    It has never officially been ruled non-canon.

Though you have to bear in mind that Warcraft 1 and 2 had alternate endings depending whether you were Human or Orc so only part of each storyline is actually canon. Basically Orc ending is canon in 1 and Human ending is in 2, but for the events leading up to the ending a mixture of both campaigns are canon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Warcraft 3 is the shit, most enjoyable game I've played in campaign mode to this day. Not to mention the battle.net custom games is still pretty lively across each server so it's very easy to play some custom games through that, even the PVP side of things is still going well, it's definitely worth the money

10+ Year Old Account
    if you like RTS games then yes
    "it's being bound to work or study that allows us to live like people." Illya

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    If you are interested in gameplay Warcraft 2 is the only title worthwhile of the three.
    Nonsense.

I have a fond place in my heart for Warcraft 1, and even though I think Warcraft 3 was a compromise between true RTS and hero-driven RTS fusion (a la Heroes of M&M) and didn't truly excel at either, it was still a worthy game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

WC3 multiplayer still going strong.

Lots and lots of custom game modes people have created. DOTA still going on, Hero Wars still active, lots of Tower Defenses, and much more.

WC3 is SO worth it for the multiplayer.

Are you talking about during the time? WC2 gameplay and interface is quite terrible to today's standards. WC3 might not be the greatest for RTS gameplay (I give that to SC), but I can't see it as worse than WC2.

Quote Originally Posted by What-ho Squiffy View Post
    Hello

I just got Warcraft 3 the other day purely to experience the story of Arthas. However, I ended up enjoying the gameplay more than I expected as I am not a RTS fan. My problem is - I am being introduced to many characters that I've only heard of through WoW and I am beginning to think that I should have started with Warcraft 1.
    So my question is, "am I doin it wrong?". Are there any experienced players out there that would strongly advise me to start from the beginning or is the gameplay drastically different? is the story even that great before Warcraft 3?
    I'd say experience WC1 and 2 and the xpac for 2 just to experience the story.

Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
    Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness
    Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal
    Last edited by Xires; 2014-07-19 at 05:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried to play warcraft 1 and it seems to be missing basic functionality such as no right click to move and grouping units and scrolling is a chore.

WC 1 is like going back and loading up diablo 1.
    I did it a while ago and find it was a bad idea - you will miss the running, hate the graphics, and generally ask yourself wtf they were thinking.
    It's one of those games that works better in memory - it was great and legendary when it was released, but we're spoiled now.
    Going back to old classics is rarely a good idea.

I'd probably say the same for WC 2, but I never played that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

personally id wait until blizzcon since they hinted at last blizzcon that they were remaking (or atleast rereleasing) all the old warcraft games.
    They put all 3 of their SNES games (Blackthorne, Lost Vikings, and Rock n' Roll Racing) on the downloader for free (you can download them RIGHT NOW if you go to your profile!). Wouldn't be surprised to see WC1/2 pop up eventually.

As far as WC3, I'm not a huge fan of RTS games, but WC3 I fell in absolute love with because of the custom games everyone made for it. Sadly, it's mostly just DOTA matches now, but back in the day, there were TDs, Mauls, RPGs, Real Lifes; SO many fun modes were made! This is why I'll always hope they're secretly working on WC4. I'd also like to say that I've been a gamer since I was 2 (I'm 23 now), and in my 2+ decades of living with games, WC3 probably has the most logged hours into it, even moreso than WoW which I have OVER 400 days played across my characters (though a good 50-75+ were probably from AFKing/waiting/alt tabbing)
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by What-ho Squiffy View Post
    Hello

If you can figure out how to get a working WC1 and 2 on Windows 7, please please let me know.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    If you can figure out how to get a working WC1 and 2 on Windows 7, please please let me know.
    Download dosbox, it's able to run most if not all old dos games.

I was going to say this. Forget the lore.. WC2 is just an awesome, fun game to play.