10+ Year Old Account

Human rights discrimation lawsuit after being fire for performance;fraud?

So, there was a thread on this subject some time ago but there is some updates now. P. Chris Kluwe, of the Minnesota Vikings football team, was cut from the team for poor performance, at or below replacement level, while also requesting a raise. The team decided to sign a younger punter that was performing better, for much less money. In sports, that is kind of how things go.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...discrimination

The twist? Kluwe is a well known activist for gay rights, and an assistant coach made "derogatory remarks about homosexuals" in a locker room type situation, which led Kluwe to believe he was fired for his activism.

An independent investigation concluded that he was indeed fired for performance, and nothing to do with his activism. He has now filed a lawsuit alleging human rights discrimination and defamation against the team, "Halunen said the punter could expect to receive up to $10 million in damages for religious and human rights discrimination, defamation, tortious interference with contractual relations and emotional stress damages, since, he said, Kluwe's punting career was likely over. "The scope of things now has changed," Halunen said."

His punting career was likely over regardless of anything else; he was not performing well, and was asking for much more money at a position that is extremely easily replaceable.

I personally think that this lawsuit constitutes pure fraud, after the independent investigation found there was nothing to his claims. He was also seeking a 4-8 games suspension for the coach that made the derogatory remark, and the coach got three games.

I have seen every single game he has punted in since he came into this team, (Its the team I watch) and frankly the younger, cheaper guy we got is much better.

I personally believe that this lawsuit is a farce that should insult anyone that is actually discriminated against.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the whole "The assistant coach made a bad remark thus the entire reason I was cut is because of that!" excuse reminds me of the OJ trial <.<.
    You're a towel.

How's that fraud?

Guy got fired. Thought it might have been discrimination. Filed a complaint. Independent investigation was conducted and concluded that it was not due to discrimination.

System working as intended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    How's that fraud?

Guy got fired. Thought it might have been discrimination. Filed a complaint. Independent investigation was conducted and concluded that it was not due to discrimination.

System working as intended.
    He is suing NOW though, after the investigation found there was no discrimination. Which as I said, should be a blatant slap in the face to anyone actually fired for discrimination.
    You're a towel.

Scare quotes around "derogatory remarks about homosexuals"? Alleging fraud? Saying that people who are actually discriminated should hate this?

Looks like I've hit bingo already.

And he still has the right to pursue it in court. The results of the investigation probably don't make his chances very good.

Are you suggesting that lawsuits which Gumboy arbitrarily decides are frivolous should be treated as acts of fraud?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    Scare quotes around "derogatory remarks about homosexuals"? Alleging fraud? Saying that people who are actually discriminated should hate this?

Looks like I've hit bingo already.
    How so? that is how the article described them; it didn't say what he said. It could have been something directly at him, it could have been "man those guys are such fags!" said in jest; if I knew exactly what was said, I would have put them.

You making insinuations that I have an anti-gay agenda here is hilarious, as I am openly Bi and have mentioned it many times on these very forums. Of course you probably have not seen that, but it kind of makes that argument fall flat on its face.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone is reading what I said the exact wrong way. It is complete fraud trying to get money from something that has been investigated already and proven to not be true. He should be counter sued in my personal opinion for defamation of his own.

- - - Updated - - -

In essence, he got fired for being bad at his job, and wanting more money and he was replaced, and now he is claiming discrimination in order to try to make money. That is fraud.
    Last edited by Gumboy; 2014-07-19 at 06:54 AM.
    You're a towel.

also
    Quote Originally Posted by The first paragraph of the article you linked
    MINNEAPOLIS - Former Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe said he plans to file a lawsuit against the team early next week after negotiations on a settlement broke down on Friday. Kluwe had said on Tuesday he would sue if the Vikings did not release a full copy of an independent investigation into the punter's claims that special teams coordinator Mike Priefer made homophobic remarks during the 2012 season and that the team released Kluwe in May 2013 for his support of same-sex marriage.
    The very first paragraph of the article you linked states that the Vikings refused to release the report of the investigation.

So you don't even know what it says. You don't know that the report absolves them of any wrong doing. You basically made that part up. Because I'm assuming you read the article if you linked it. In which case you flat out lied. Or you don't read things before you link them, and start a discussion based on your own opinion and not the facts at hand.

I repeat

The results of the report aren't known to the public, and that is one of the reasons he is suing.

This whole thread is fraud.

It is complete fraud trying to get money from something that has been investigated already and proven to not be true.
    Fraud is a legal term that doesn't mean what you imagine it does.

To clarify further: the investigation was conducted by the Vikings themselves, which if you'll notice is the opposite of an "independent" investigation since they are one of the parties to the dispute. Its findings were not made public, but obviously the fact that the Vikings pledged $100,000 to an LGBT charity, suspended Mike Priefer, had him apologize for his remarks and are having him attend sensitivity training means the allegations were in some way accurate. Do you think the Vikings' investigation found nothing wrong and then the Vikings management decided to suspend Priefer anyway to be dicks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    also

The very first paragraph of the article you linked states that the Vikings refused to release the report of the investigation.

So you don't even know what it says. You don't know that the report absolves them of any wrong doing. You basically made that part up. Because I'm assuming you read the article if you linked it. In which case you flat out lied. Or you don't read things before you link them, and start a discussion based on your own opinion and not the facts at hand.

I repeat

The results of the report aren't known to the public, and that is one of the reasons he is suing.

This whole thread is fraud.
    The results of the investigation HAVE BEEN RELEASED.

http://deadspin.com/vikings-release-...end-1607568647

So calling this thread a fraud, and me a liar, is libel. According to Chris Kluwe, I should sue you now. (saying that in jest of course)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    Fraud is a legal term that doesn't mean what you imagine it does.

To clarify further: the investigation was conducted by the Vikings themselves, which if you'll notice is the opposite of an "independent" investigation since they are one of the parties to the dispute. Its findings were not made public, but obviously the fact that the Vikings pledged $100,000 to an LGBT charity, suspended Mike Priefer, had him apologize for his remarks and are having him attend sensitivity training means the allegations were in some way accurate. Do you think the Vikings' investigation found nothing wrong and then the Vikings management decided to suspend Priefer anyway to be dicks?
    We all know he did something wrong by saying that. But he was NOT fired for activism. He was fired for performance. Period.

The suspension was completely seperate issue.

- - - Updated - - -

The assistant coach being suspended is basically proof that the team is in the right by the way; they did the investigation, found there was someone in the organization doing wrong, and are correcting it. And it is a matter completely unrelated to the firing.

- - - Updated - - -

http://prod.preview.vikings.clubs.nf...uwe-report.pdf

The entire report by the way, the one you claim they have not released.
    You're a towel.

The poster discussing the investigation is incorrect on the terminology used but not on the substance of their post. The Vikings released a summary of the investigation (which, again, was not an "independent investigation"), not the actual facts of the matter themselves. To quote a Deadspin commenter:

It should probably be noted that it wasn't the actual report that was released. The actual report is a 150 page document that also has interviews, transcripts etc.

Instead, what was released was a 29 page summary of the report that the Vikings had their lawyers write, presumably because there are things in the 150 page report they don't want made public.
    The Vikings edited the investigation down into a hit piece on Kluwe before they presented it.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Thttp://prod.preview.vikings.clubs.nf...uwe-report.pdf

The entire report by the way, the one you claim they have not released.
    In the time it took me to make this post you made the same false assertion yet again.
    Last edited by Mahourai; 2014-07-19 at 07:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They also said they are releasing the entire report, they are releasing a summary as a press release. Now that the lawsuit is coming they probably will not, as it will be used as evidence.

I notice you seem to have literally zero opinion on the actual case, and are just nitpicking things. Do you actually think this lawsuit is legit? he is extorting money for his charity from someone because one person in an organization insulted gay people in front of him :P
    You're a towel.

They also said they are releasing the entire report, they are releasing a summary as a press release.
    Did you know this when you posted that the 29-page summary was the "entire report", or is this supposed to be a correction?

I notice you seem to have literally zero opinion on the actual case, and are just nitpicking things.
    This is a very uncharitable way to phrase the fact that I merely spoke on facts regarding the case that I was aware of, instead of pretending I'm extremely well informed on every aspect of it. Well, also I made fun of your horrible OP.

Do you actually think this lawsuit is legit?
    In what sense? I sure as fuck wasn't a member of the Vikings special teams nor was I privy to the discussion about Kluwe's firing to tell you factually that it was all about his poor play, instead of the fact that he thought gay people were human. To me, having read Kluwe's columns published by Deadspin, he sounds like a fucking jackass with a grossly inflated sense of self worth, but that doesn't prove him wrong, it just means he has the personality of many other prominent figures in sports. The fact that initially Priefer denied all the allegations and only one person came forward to corroberate Kluwe's story, even though Priefer later admitted that some of the accusations were true, indicates to me that there was some level of institutional collusion to move against Kluwe's accusations with one accord, which doesn't look good for the Vikings. Additionally, suspending Priefer for three games for the comments he made is a joke. Again to paraphrase a Deadspin commenter, if Priefer had instead said "we should put all the n----- on an island and nuke them" he would have been unceremoniously fired immediately, but because it was just a joke about killing gays he gets a slap on the wrist.

If there is merit to Kluwe's lawsuit it will be resolved in the courts. It's perfectly legal and acceptable to file lawsuits that don't result in a ruling in your favor.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was only one person there to verify the comments, the team did not have like microphones recording everything that happened; at that point it was essentially he said/he said apparently.
    You're a towel.

i find it hilarious that in 2014 "some" (most are smart not too) gays think we straight people mean hurtful shit when we say homo or faggot or even "thats so gay". when they gonna grow up and realize these words evolved to mean more than worrying about your gay ass.

There was only one person there to verify the comments, the team did not have like microphones recording everything that happened; at that point it was essentially he said/he said apparently.
    No, most of the comments were within earshot of several other special teams players - all of whom clammed up, even though Priefer eventually copped to being a piece of shit. Again, like I said - the "wall of silence" is more damning than Priefer's comments themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    i find it hilarious that in 2014 "some" (most are smart not too) gays think we straight people mean hurtful shit when we say homo or faggot or even "thats so gay". when they gonna grow up and realize these words evolved to mean more than worrying about your gay ass.
    Fall back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    I find it hilarious that in 2014 "some" people still insist on using homophobic language that they know will offend people.

It's not fraud, he's legally pursuing a lawsuit. Everyone is entitled and allowed to do so, if they feel that they've been unfairly treated or that their case has been.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

We all should just go back to using grunts and groans for our language, that way no one can be offended as anything said today seems to offend someone.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dejec1989 View Post
    We all should just go back to using grunts and groans for our language, that way no one can be offended as anything said today seems to offend someone.
    Lol. Yep. Maybe I should sue someone for making negative remarks about hillbillies. As I is one. :P On the topic, just seems the punter is looking for a excuse to get his gravy train back.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    People sue because people get a lawyer to tell them to sue