Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebu View Post
    That's what I don't like. What if it's a new glitch that lets you get to the credits as soon as the run starts? What then, is it "too much" of a glitch? Runners won't "accept" it as a run? New arbitrarily chosen rules? Game will be "banned" from speedrunning because there's no point anymore?

In the end though, what matters doesn't matter. Fun>rules in single player games. There's nobody to enforce the rules so you get to make your own.
    Yeah it's allowed.
    http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/leaderboards/alttp/any
    There's different categories for a reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I don't like. What if it's a new glitch that lets you get to the credits as soon as the run starts? What then, is it "too much" of a glitch? Runners won't "accept" it as a run? New arbitrarily chosen rules? Game will be "banned" from speedrunning because there's no point anymore?

In the end though, what matters doesn't matter. Fun>rules in single player games. There's nobody to enforce the rules so you get to make your own.
    What makes you think there are no rules or categories for each speedrun and game? Like really people use your head. If speedrunning was as lawless as you say, no one would do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just want to see all these people claiming any% runs like this take no skill to actually do them themselves.

Well, the best thing is it's community driven. If an idea for a category is good and fun to run/watch then it will catch on naturally over time. There's a glitch that lets you beat gen 1 Pokemon games in 0 seconds. Because of that, nobody runs any% anymore for gen 1, because it's boring and there's no point. Any% glitchless became popular for gen 1 partially because of how broken regular any% was. There is not however a hard and fast rule that says you can't run any% gen 1 pokemon. Just don't expect anyone to care if you do. Nobody decides what anyone else does. If you want to make up your own category where the rules are, "beat the game as fast as possible while being in my house" nobody is going to stop you, but nobody is going to take you seriously either. Acceptance of ideas is kind of based on merit like that.

There's a good deal of popularity for those 10-20 minute any% runs because a viewer doesn't have to set aside a massive amount of time to watch it. It's kind of like watching a short episode of TV. Runners like it because it's intense, and not everyone has the fortitude necessary to play for 12 hours straight without so much as a pee break, like some 100% or any% glitchless runs require.

It's entertainment, and like most things in entertainment, it's based largely on popularity.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2015-01-03 at 10:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of speedruns, everyone excited for AGDQ tomorrow?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Speaking of speedruns, everyone excited for AGDQ tomorrow?
    It's gonna be nuts. Here's to 100k consistent viewers and $1.5 million raised for charity!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know about 1.5mil, but I guess I didn't expect 1mil last AGDQ.
    I'll probably lazily make a thread tomorrow, or someone else can.