View Poll Results: How many mounts have you purchased since the in game store appeared?

Voters
830. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

491 59.16%

145 17.47%

49 5.90%

35 4.22%

21 2.53%
  • More than 4

89 10.72%
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    If you define winning WoW as getting an achievement for having X mounts, then you must have some kind of learning disability.
    i fail to see how one equals the other. some people like mounts, if they pay for them.. so what? how does it affect you.
    My weekly podcast can be downloaded here this week we discuss the Warlords of Draenor launch night and a butcher that goes insane

Pandaren Monk
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's all given as a fact that you have to pay for it as well, you're just being pedantic
    No more pedantic than Illiterate, which is kind of the point being made...

The term is pay to win. If Illiterate chooses to ignore half the phrase (ie the win part) then I see no reason why Gehco shouldn't ignore the other half (pay).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Keristrasza View Post
    You cannot, nor will you ever be able to "Win" at an MMO.
    I disagree with that. There are formally competitive things in WoW. Challenge mode times, raid firsts, PvP ratings, Pet Battles. Anything in which you compete against other players opens the possibility of winners and losers.

Quote Originally Posted by Keristrasza View Post
    Achievements mean nothing, the rewards that come from said achievements mean nothing, and that includes the achievements that come from Challenge modes or Ahead of the Curve. They net you nothing at all, so unless that mount/achievement can some how magically make you a god at end game content with all BiS items it is no where even close to Pay to Win.
    The eternal fail of the pay-to-win arguments is that they consistently fail to prove the logical progression of:

Buying Shop item X = Paying for some definition of "winning" = a bad thing.

To elaborate: It's easy to make a strong argument that paying to get something that helps you win at certain things (eg Arena) would be a bad thing. It's easy to assert that buying something from the shop could be seen as paying to "win" something else which is arbitrary.

But it is a logical fallacy to claim that because buying X to win at Y is bad, then buying A to win B must also be bad.

Paying to get an advantage to help someone "win" at PvP or a raid first race sets up an unfair advantage to the party choosing to pay, thus forcing the other party to either also pay, or lose. This is clearly something that would be bad. Thus we have the association that "Pay to Win" is bad. But many people tend to forget that the assertion "Pay to Win = Bad" depends very heavily what is being won.

This becomes an issue when someone else comes along and tries to come up with imaginative definition of the term "win" and then simply relies on proving that achieving X in the game = winning by some definition, in order to prove that being able to buy something that helps with that goal is a bad thing.

What they tend to forget is that unless they can prove that buying an advantage to "win" whatever it is they are "winning" is actually a bad thing, you can't just use "Pay-to-Win = bad". In some cases, depending on how you choose to define "winning", pay-to-win can actually be perfectly benign.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    If you define winning WoW as getting an achievement for having X mounts, then you must have some kind of learning disability.
    Just out of curiosity: Would you define paying for a raid boost etc. (with real money - which obviously is not allowed, but still happens) as pay to win?

Zero, way to expensive for a silly mount everyone can just buy.
    Do I smell hate aroma?!?

Pandaren Monk
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    Just out of curiosity: Would you define paying for a raid boost etc. (with real money - which obviously is not allowed, but still happens) as pay to win?
    One could argue that it is a form of pay-to-win. The more pertinent question is whether or not this is a bad thing, which really has little to do with how you choose to label it.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    It makes getting the achieves easier/faster. They are also impossible to obtain by playing the game. That's pay to win.
    No. They serve the exact same function as any other mount in the game. They move the same speed and get you from A to B exactly the same way. They are just visually different. The mount collecting achievements amount to nothing but epeen points. They don't get you gear, they don't make you better at PVP, they don't make you kill bosses quicker. They just show a higher number of achieve points and yet another mount that does exactly the same thing as the hundreds of other mounts in the game.

That is not pay to win. Pay to win would be if these mounts were FASTER than the in-game obtainable mounts.

Stop inventing reasons to whine.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.