10+ Year Old Account

[Beta] - Touch of Death

So we were trying HC dungeons yesterday and I found something interesting - while most of the abilities do laughable damage (in 620ilvl gear, expect ICC-like numbers, 10-15k dps), Touch of Death does full damage - I have something over 300k HP, so Touch of Death does kind of hefty damage
    It was pretty gamebreaking on first boss in Shadowmon Burial Grounds - the add that goes to boss has 310k HP, so I took care of every other add.

Anyways, I wanted to ask, is this intentional? Or do you think it will be nerfed? Because it is pretty overpowered in my opinion.

Do you know what Touch of Death actually does? It hits for your maximum health. And you can only do that when the target has the same HP as your maximum health.

15+ Year Old Account
    It'll get changed somehow if that's the case, probably something like 'can only be used on enemies with less than 20% hp' or something, probably even less.

I would love for ToD to be useful finally. I could take it off my bar right now in live and not even notice.

IMO for it to be really useful the chi cost should be taken away, that or the CD adjusted.

Touch of death does your full hp as damage and can be used on targets with less than or = to your health or targets that are at 10% or lower. it costs 3 chi and is 1.5 min cd. You can glyph it to remove the chi cost and the cd becomes 3.5min. It's a one time use execute on a boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    The change to it being a semi-execute is really, really nice. I would like either a lower Chi cost or a lower Cooldown, but on the other hand - being able to spam something for 200-300K when its at 10% health will be... well, pretty strong in PvE.

Still, an ability that costs the same as FoF, does less dmg, and is on a 90s cd is pretty underwhelming.

10+ Year Old Account
    For non-elites you're normally better off just killing the thing than spending 3 chi on it. ToD on the gcd doesn't help it either as the enemy will often die before the gcd is up. It will be interesting to see what will be done with this spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirean View Post
    So we were trying HC dungeons yesterday and I found something interesting - while most of the abilities do laughable damage (in 620ilvl gear, expect ICC-like numbers, 10-15k dps), Touch of Death does full damage - I have something over 300k HP, so Touch of Death does kind of hefty damage
    It was pretty gamebreaking on first boss in Shadowmon Burial Grounds - the add that goes to boss has 310k HP, so I took care of every other add.

Anyways, I wanted to ask, is this intentional? Or do you think it will be nerfed? Because it is pretty overpowered in my opinion.
    You can tell who hasnt played a monk before but made one on beta. touch of Death has always done this. It hits for your max hp if theirs is equal to or lower. Nice to see beta invites going to people who dont know what they are doing.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    You can tell who hasnt played a monk before but made one on beta. touch of Death has always done this. It hits for your max hp if theirs is equal to or lower. Nice to see beta invites going to people who dont know what they are doing.
    To be fair, a lot of people forget that raid mobs have a lot more health and aren't as easily touched to death. It's easy to get mixed up with the stat squish changing all recognizable numbers. It's also been a long time since most people had to take a 5 man seriously, easy to not remember that important adds have always been roflstomped by ToD.

Deleted
    I can guess the problem is that our health pools are bigger than our squish damage numbers, so it "seems" to do a lot.

This will be probably very good in CMs, need to see in raid when often the "add that have to die" is nuclearized in 1millisec when under the ToD hp range..

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been playing monk on live too, so not a new monk player. Yes, I'm aware that it does the same thing as on live, however, I wanted to point out, that nowadays, as a tank, you have something like 1M HP fully buffed and do ~200-400k dps, depending on vengeance. That is HP-to-dps ratio of 1:5 - 1:2.5
    On beta however, I had ~320k HP fully buffed with 620 scaled item level and did ~15k dps on bosses. That is 1:21 HP-to-dps ratio. Do you see the difference?
    What I'm saying is that Touch of Death will contribute with a much higher percentage of damage than today, and by much higher I don't mean 2-3 times, I mean even more.

In raids it will be something different, I'm aware of that, but I'm also afraid that blizz will tune monks with this ability on mind, I'd rather see this nerfed to 50% of damage and have other abilities buffed accordingly.

Deleted
    Well blizz increased HP pool of all the players by 100% AFTER SQUISH (so we have two times the HP as we do on MoP, respectively) so ToD deals 2x more dmg than on live. IMO they will reduce its damage to 50%, same as did with ToK, lots of ppl think they nerfed while they just didnt make it two times as strong.
    I know this can be a bit confusing partly from whats happening in WoD, partly from my lack of vocabulary in english So I hope you catch my wave!

The thing is that ToD became very underwhelming later in the expansion. 3 chi for 700k damage on a 1.5 minute cooldown when BoK crits for half as much anyways? Doubling everyone's health just lets it actually scale at the same rate as player damage so it will remain at the same strength rather than ridiculously falling off because everyone's damage goes up by 5x when health pools only double.

They said they wanted to buff it, anyway; in the ability-pruned world, the choice is to either to make rarely-used things like ToD more useful or to cut them, and it's an interesting enough mechanic (a high damage execute that's expensive and you really only get to use once per mob) that they decided to keep it around.

So it's now effectively twice as powerful and is usable on mobs that are below 10% even if they have more health left than you. Yep, it got buffed and will get used a lot now. That's pretty much the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconslicer View Post
    They said they wanted to buff it, anyway; in the ability-pruned world, the choice is to either to make rarely-used things like ToD more useful or to cut them, and it's an interesting enough mechanic (a high damage execute that's expensive and you really only get to use once per mob) that they decided to keep it around.

So it's now effectively twice as powerful and is usable on mobs that are below 10% even if they have more health left than you. Yep, it got buffed and will get used a lot now. That's pretty much the plan.
    It's a high damage execute that you'll only use once on most fights. Compare that to other executes that can be used multiple times, and the damage of ToD isn't all that impressive. As it is now, it feels like bloat. It doesn't add any depth to the class. It's an ability that I use once per fight that takes up a keybind. I'd rather them make it a rotational execute or remove it. The only reason it's in the game now is for PvP. WWs need an execute. Since they don't really do PvP only abilities, they just baked in the 4pc WW PvP bonus and let eveyone have it.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-07-21 at 07:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    The thing is that ToD became very underwhelming later in the expansion.
    That's a big part of the problem. With better gear, the damage numbers have gone up a lot, while the HP pools didn't change that much in comparison. It will most likely be the same in the next addon, but the effect will probably be a bit weaker. So in the beginning it may seem extremely strong for soloing and instances. But, for raids, the extremely long CD does make it a weak execute, even with the change that it can be used now and then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have they completely removed the ability to use ToD on players in pvp? Even as a set bonus?
    Kil'Jaeden - US

Thanks to Lilliputia for the amazing signature!

Deleted
    I wouldn't be surprised if the skill got reworked completely, turning it from a chi-costing skill to a chi-generating one. I.e:
    At 20% You can mark the target to death dealing X amount of damage based on say.. 100% weapon damage, generating 2 Chi