Page 1 of 2
LastLast

For Casual Raiding (LFR/Flex/Normals) is subbing to AMR worth it?

AMR = Ask Mr Robot.

Obviously, if you are raiding competitively I feel like its a good idea to use it......but for someone who raids casually? worth?
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

Worth ?

Theoretically AMR is only relevant on progress raiding, where every bit of dps/healing/dmg mitigation matters.
    For example if as fury warrior you can gem crit and reforge expertise or gem expertise and reforge crit, AMR will tell you what gives more dps.

Now does that matter in LFR and Flex ? No
    Does it in Normal? Abit more but still no because those runs are relatively easy nowadays(unless you're progress raiding it with your guild).
    Only place where it would matter is Heroic progress, but that's pure theoretically speaking.

I'm like you raiding wise and I find it worth for me because I like to max things out, even though it probably wouldn't matter if i did 10k dps less or more in the raids i'm in. I just like to get the right gems, reforges and enchants to get the maximum potential out of my character.

This is how I think about it, but it depends on the player and if you're prepared to pay a little gold to get a little more out of your character
    Last edited by Zaitsevv; 2014-07-20 at 11:28 PM.

The onnnnnnnnlllyyyy reason why I would buy it is because I like to know what to spend my warforged seals on, what to run, upgrade, etc.

Unless theres an addon for that, Im not sure if its worth 12$ a year
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitsevv View Post
    I'm like you raiding wise and I find it worth for me because I like to max things out, even though it probably wouldn't matter if i did 10k dps less or more in the raids i'm in. I just like to get the right gems, reforges and enchants to get the maximum potential out of my character.
    That's what it comes down to for me as well. I don't care if I don't need the extra dps, I still like to perform at my best, and to me it's fulfilling knowing I'm performing the best I can on whatever character I play. So yeah, I still use AMR even though I've stopped guild raiding for now.

Edit: Oh, subscribing, like paying? I didn't know that was a thing. I just use the free stuff on the site, that's all I've ever needed.

Quote Originally Posted by GarGar View Post
    That's what it comes down to for me as well. I don't care if I don't need the extra dps, I still like to perform at my best, and to me it's fulfilling knowing I'm performing the best I can on whatever character I play. So yeah, I still use AMR even though I've stopped guild raiding for now.

Edit: Oh, subscribing, like paying? I didn't know that was a thing. I just use the free stuff on the site, that's all I've ever needed.
    Cant you get that info for free? I thought basically what you pay for is essentially what I described above
    It's called balancing.
    Just sayn'

No it certainly isn't. But if you want to support their site why not.

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    No it certainly isn't. But if you want to support their site why not.
    So then is there an easy way to tell what the best raids/difficultys I should run for loot, what to spend my seals on, etc?
    It's called balancing.
    Just sayn'

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by calinass View Post
    So then is there an easy way to tell what the best raids/difficultys I should run for loot, what to spend my seals on, etc?
    Look at your gear, then look at loot tables?

Open the dungeon journal. Filter loot by your spec. Look at what you currently have. See which bosses have the greatest upgrades, or the greatest chance for giving you an item that you want.

Coin those bosses.

For example, a protection paladin is looking for tier items, rings and trinkets. A shield might be nice too, but they already have a decent one as it is.

So you look for bosses that drop tier items, rings and trinkets.

Immerseus drops a trinket, but you can't get it from your bonus roll.
    Protectors drops a trinket, but it is really shit and a ring, but it is hit/crit which isn't that great.
    Norushen drops a trinket, but even the dps don't want it.
    Sha of Pride drops a trinket and tier chest, but you have to change to "holy" spec to win the trinket. The boss drops a lot of clutter, but the highest chance of getting an item you want is to roll as holy, becuase you don't want the 2h weapon, the hit/crit boots or the dodge/parry stuff.
    Galakras doesn't drop anything you want.
    Iron Juggernaut doesn't drop anything you want.
    Dark Shamans drops a ring, but it is on a loot table with a lot of items that you don't want.
    Nazgrim drops the tier token, and a shield for protection spec.
    Malkorok drops a great trinket, but the loot table for it is cluttered with boots, bracers and other stuff you don't want.
    Spoils drops a great ring, but again the loot table is very cluttered.
    Thok drops a tier token, a ring and a trinket, but you need to be ret spec to get the trinket. The ret loot table is the least cluttered of the three for items you want.
    Siegecrafter drops a ring and tier shoulders. You don't need the weapon, so set loot spec to ret and if you win an item, you're guaranteed to need it.
    Paragons drops a tier token, but the tier legs are pretty shit unless you get the ret ones.
    Garrosh drops a shit tank trinket and various avoidance pieces. The legs are nice, but you already have them.

Out of those 14 bosses, Sha (holy), Nazgrim (protection), Thok (retribution) and Siegecrafter (retribution) are your best bet to get the items you need.

That's how you do it. As for difficulty, just look at your gear and go where there are upgrades:

500-520: SoO LFR
    520-540: SoO Flex
    540-560: SoO normal
    560-580: SoO heroic

Not exactly rocket science.

If you don't know which items are good for your spec simply by looking at a loot table, perhaps you should be finding out which stats are good for you instead of blindly trusting that a website will know it for you. Especially given the fact that AMR is only as good as the person controlling it.

Think of it this way: AMR is like a lathe. You can do truly amazing things with a lathe; carving intricate patterns and shapes into a cylindrical piece of wood. But somebody that doesn't know how to use it properly will only ever be able to make a vaguely cylindrical shape with it and won't ever really get their money's worth out of it.

Deleted
    i rarely use AMR , most of the time at the progressionstart and sometimes to try out strange stat-weight values i get out of sim-c but as i think the site is good and the few € don't hurt me i'm subbing every year for no real reason

10+ Year Old Account
    In all honesty I would wait until WoD comes. And then decide if you want to sub or not. Cause well... You actually don't know in what they implement in the free version of AMR or how much the min-maxing is "possible" in draenor raids.

But for the end of expansion... I in all honesty don't see the point in subbing, specially that it depends on your armory (if you don't want to insert things manually ofc), and when armory is down... Bit tougher to use it.

I have considered to sub or not for AMR, but then I've kinda noticed that I can place my few dollars some place else more better.

Deleted
    The onnnnnnnnlllyyyy reason why I would buy it is because I like to know what to spend my warforged seals on, what to run, upgrade, etc.

I was gearing some alts and wanted to use the same functions (they're beyond awesome imo) and accidentally bought a year, was mad at first but quickly realized its less then a month of wow sub

10+ Year Old Account

You can easily find all that information without using mr robot, but you will be required to read theory-crafting threads instead.

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    You can easily find all that information without using mr robot, but you will be required to read theory-crafting threads instead.
    And that reading will give you much better results when using AMR, because you'll know how to get the correct stat weights etc.

Deleted
    This site is really good tool. I am subbed since 1 year and a half. I managed to stay one week unsubbed before renewing it. Don't remember the feature i missed more, perhaps the one which tells you where to use your bonus rolls and find upgrades.

For your main, you know where to use them if you do your research work, etc, but for alts where you optimize less, you gain a lot of time, and for 10€ a year, i find it a good deal. I guess that as long as i play wow and they keep paypal payement method, i'll stay subscribed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Not exactly rocket science.
    Not quite. For instance, just how much better is a haste/mastery weapon than a dodge/parry weapon for a prot pally? Sure if you know that current models for prot pally states that haste is very good, then you would say the former BUT remember back when 100% CTC was the thing (cata-era) which meant that then the dodge/parry was better. Moving into WoD, who knows what combination of secondary stats will be the "best" mitigation stat.

Additionally, AMR's true value (in MoP) was in its ability to do reforge calculations (with gems and enchants) based off stat weight values (either the default ones or values you can self generate via SimC). Even ReforgeLite which is a great in-game addon does not do the extra computations for gems and enchants.

The paid options of AMR (currently) do offer some additional value. Knowing what gives you the largest upgrade (or most efficient upgrade) in terms of VP or bonus loot rolls can very helpful to plan out how to best use your time (especially on Alts).

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    In all honesty I would wait until WoD comes. And then decide if you want to sub or not. Cause well... You actually don't know in what they implement in the free version of AMR or how much the min-maxing is "possible" in draenor raids.
    The problem here is that with the removal of reforging AMR loses one of its key features. Fortunately, the AMR creators are busy working on their Combat Log system (currently in Alpha). So what's the difference between AMR's Combat Log vs the others (WarcraftLogs, Worldoflogs, etc.)?

Well I'm sure Zoopercat is much better suited to answer than I can but from what I've seen, AMR's Combat log is definitely more user friendly than Warcraft Logs and World of Logs. In addition to the interface, the proposed system of being able to track your performance relative to the gear you have equipped seems like a very good way to accurately measure a player's skill.

Additionally, in a recent interview on CtR, AMR aims to bring popular queries (used in Worldoflogs) to their combat log to make it easier to understand why you are under performing in a particular role. Queries like Active mitigation uptime vs Boss abilities/damage or appropriate healing throughput vs raid damage (as in are healers cycling healing CDs efficiently) or how about the ever important DoT uptime for DPS classes with DoTs.

Granted it's possible to do all these things in World of Logs or Warcraft Logs but it's not very intuitive nor are there very good guides out there. The key that I think AMR is trying to reach is allowing its users to understand the why behind the numbers and graphs in a very easy manner.

Because knowing the why (why am I dying, why am I healing poorly or DPSing so low) allows for people to learn the how on being a better raider.

Now in the scope of LFR, this probably won't really happen that often because the general level of player skill investment in LFR is very low. And it'll be even lower in WoD as multiple sources have pointed that LFR will be = tourist mode.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Not quite. For instance, just how much better is a haste/mastery weapon than a dodge/parry weapon for a prot pally? Sure if you know that current models for prot pally states that haste is very good, then you would say the former BUT remember back when 100% CTC was the thing (cata-era) which meant that then the dodge/parry was better. Moving into WoD, who knows what combination of secondary stats will be the "best" mitigation stat.
    In Cataclysm the mastery weapon would still have been better for you, as mastery gave more CTC per stat point than dodge or parry did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    In Cataclysm the mastery weapon would still have been better for you, as mastery gave more CTC per stat point than dodge or parry did.
    True so that was probably a poor example without extra details but what I was trying to get at was that AMR tells you the calculated value of an item worth as an upgrade (or downgrade). Even across different ilvs

So going back to the example and making it a bit more detailed: Let's say as a prot paladin, you have Siegecrafter's Forge Hammer (Haste/Mastery, ilv 540) and you won a loot roll for a Warforged Encapsulated Essence of Immerseus (Dodge/Parry, ilv 559) which is better?

What if you had spent some VP upgrading the Forge Hammer, at what point does the Forge Hammer become better than the Encapsulated Essence?
    Last edited by Alroxas; 2014-07-21 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Revised example
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Hey everyone, Zoopercat from Ask Mr. Robot reporting for duty!

Regarding premium features: those features are meant to be a convenience. Sure, you can make a spreadsheet and figure out what items you should bonus roll on. Or, let Mr. Robot do it for $1 a month. If it's valuable to you at the price, awesome! If not, that's ok too, premium isn't for everyone and that's why we have a free trial (no credit card is ever asked for during the trial, that's just shady!). And for people who don't want to upgrade, the free version of the site is (and always will be) very valuable with all sorts of helpful features

Regarding WoD: Yep, reforging is going away. But we're actually pretty excited about that. You see... the average person's gear has a few quadrillion combinations of gems, enchants and reforges. And we guarantee to find the absolute single best solution for nearly everyone who uses it (you'll see the green 'guaranteed optimal' message on the stats pain if it is truly the best setup given your stat weights). Well... it takes a LOT of work to write and maintain an algorithm that can go through several quadrillion combinations in < 1 second. Because of that, we hadn't been able to work on some other cool projects that we've had our eye on for a loooong time.

Once it was announced that reforging was going away, we were very happy to know we could finally work on the combat log parser we've wanted to do. Because now we have the time And as Alroxas pointed out: our goal is the make combat logs just as accessible as we made gear optimization. The main combat log features will be free (at a minimum, everything that's currently in the alpha). You can sign up for the alpha here.
    Ask Mr. Robot Human Minion

15+ Year Old Account
    Ctrl-shift-J in game and look at the loot tables. Then click on the slot such as gloves in the AMR website. Change it to "absolute" so you can see how the upgrade works with set bonuses if it's a tier item.

Then make a note as to which item is worth more points.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222