Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Engineering and nitro boosts in WoD

I remember reading somewhere that both the Goblin glider and the nitro boosts would become usable by non-engineers in WoD, but looking around a bit I have only found this item: http://beta.wowhead.com/item=109076, indicating that at least the Goblin Glider will. I can find no similar item for nitro boosts. The current nitro boosts profession skill has been updated, however, and now lists a 8 sec duration with a 1 minute cooldown, and the 400+ skill requirement is seemingly gone (probably just a tooltip clean-up). Also, it shares a CD with potions () - http://wod.wowhead.com/spell=55016

My questions are: In the beta, is nitro boosts "BoE", i.e. usable by non-engineers? Has Blizzard said anything on the matter (I can't seem to find it)?
    Has the speed increase stayed the same, or has it been changed to reflect the significant buff to its possible uptime?

It lasts 8 sec vs the current 5 sec because they nerfed the speed on it. I know it was faster then a mount sometimes on live, but on Beta it only boosts you to 70%.

Also 3 sec more up time isn't much with how slow you go now.

Edit: I haven't tested to see if you 'give it to others'. The beta crashes every 2 minutes for me when I try to get on. Plus I assume if you could you would have to do a trade with someone via will not trade. I will try to 'enchant' a scroll to see if it works like chants.

Edit 2: Just got on the Beta. The Glider still has a 500 Eng requirement to use. Couldn't find the boost fast enough. Game crashed about 3 sec after I searched for the Glider. Now the Nitro doesn't say anything about needing Engineering. Dunno. Bug where when you try to buy Enchanting Vellum it crashes your game!
    Last edited by Spraxle; 2014-07-21 at 12:20 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    It lasts 8 sec vs the current 5 sec because they nerfed the speed on it. I know it was faster then a mount sometimes on live, but on Beta it only boosts you to 70%.

Also 3 sec more up time isn't much with how slow you go now.

Edit: I haven't tested to see if you 'give it to others'. The beta crashes every 2 minutes for me when I try to get on. Plus I assume if you could you would have to do a trade with someone via will not trade. I will try to 'enchant' a scroll to see if it works like chants.

Edit 2: Just got on the Beta. The Glider still has a 500 Eng requirement to use. Couldn't find the boost fast enough. Game crashed about 3 sec after I searched for the Glider.
    I appreciate it.

Also, while the added duration is rather minor, the cooldown only being 1 minute rather than 3 is quite nice. If used on cooldown, the uptime is being buffed from 2,78% to 13,33%.

- - - Updated - - -

Another question: Is it currently affected by/does it trigger the GCD?

- - - Updated - - -

And does the CD behave like potions, i.e. not beginning before leaving combat, or is it usable multiple times in a fight?

New nitro boosts belt tinker shares a CD with potions, making it more or less worthless for dungeons/raiding.

retired, another victim of warlords of draenor

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by citrique View Post
    New nitro boosts belt tinker shares a CD with potions, making it more or less worthless for dungeons/raiding.
    Might have some use in CM dungeons if there was some sort of trigger you need to do. (Similar to Gates of the Setting Sun CM tactic)

Overall, yeah very limited utility that might also backfire on you.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Does it still backfire? Anyone had it do so in testing yet?

Gonna laugh if it's inferior to a speed potion. A sad laugh, but a laugh nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    Might have some use in CM dungeons if there was some sort of trigger you need to do. (Similar to Gates of the Setting Sun CM tactic)

Assuming it even stacks with other major movement speed boosts, given most things in WoD don't. I believe people have just been talking about using darkwater potion instead for months now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Well they need to make it so it doesn't backfire otherwise poeple will just use potions in raiding environments for safety's sake.

Deleted
    l hope they re think the tinkers

10+ Year Old Account
    I was coming just for this answer. I wanted to put engineering on my hunter and drop it on my dk. Shooting people from a goblin glider would be terribly fun. I was going to drop engineering on my do and give her mining an try to generate a good cash flow.
    CPU :- AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
    Ram :- 32GB GeIL super luce rgb 3000Mhz
    Mobo :- TUF 570x wifi
    GPU :- Strix 2080ti OC
    Cooling :- NZXT z73 Kraken 360

15+ Year Old Account
    there were three reasons for me to level engineering in WoD:
    - Auction house in pandaria
    - rep bot for my raid
    - nitro boots
    - the glider for fun
    - some other fun items
    - the profession bonus enchant for gloves

- Now, the glider wasn't really used often. It was fun a couple of times, e.g. fly from mt. everest to the shrine, or dismount at max fly height and see how far I come, but after all I didn't do it very often. so I think one or two stacks from the AH from some other engineer should be enough for similar stuff in WoD.
    - profession perks (glove enchant) are gone for all professions
    - I used the nitro boosts extremely often. it speeds up raids, it also speeds up 5 man dungeons when I just smash through them while being overgeared and all that stuff. generally fun. but: they seem to be a lot slower according your descriptions (so speeding up stuff is not THAT much anymore), although longer. But I think that part of the argument is also not that big anymore. It shares CD with potions now, making it useless for raids anyways.
    - the fun items are just that. the sky won't fall if I lose them.

that leaves me with two questions:

- repbots - they are really only needed in the raid if we cannot mount at any point in the instance AND if there are no rep-vendors inside the raid. plus you basically only need one or two anyways, and in a 20+ raid, chances are there is always at least one, if not by any chance everyone thinks as I do.
    - auction house in Draenor. is there one? is it for all or only engineers?

and even if the answers are "yes the raids are designed with not mounting at any place so repbots are needed" and "yes there is an engineer only AH in draenor and it is the only one there", I seriously asking myself if that is really worth keeping engineering as a profession ...

so anyone with an engineer in the beta knows more about that? I'd appreciate some answers
    thanks
    xeb

(oh I forgot the mailbox. but considering I have placed that one maybe 10 times over the entire time of MoP so far ... I'm sure I won't miss it either)

Nitro boosts have been nerfed to the ground on beta mate.

as far as i remember there is an AH on ashran, it's for everyone, but i guess it's a plceholder npc and it will be replaced wit engeneering only AH later.
    Last edited by Dnusha; 2014-07-30 at 08:11 PM.

Deleted
    Weren't they planning to give that boost to other professions as well? Heard someone mentioning some "Potion", but perhaps that was just a discussion.

They really need to find a way to make engineering more viable if they're just going to continue nerfing it. Rocket boots and Glider were one of the only reasons I leveled it up.

Well that sucks. I'll take faster and shorter nitro boost over slower and longer any day... the whole point of it was to get away fast. As a shaman that was my only ability to get away from someone, other than ''Release Spirit''.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post

Provided you don't need an invisibility potion....

Besides, you'd be better off saving your potion cooldown and using the old Rocket Boots Xtreme Lite instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Provided you don't need an invisibility potion....

Besides, you'd be better off saving your potion cooldown and using the old Rocket Boots Xtreme Lite instead.
    A lot of the top clears for certain CM's I See using invisibility field instead of nitro boosts
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

One of the raids had some outdoors mountable areas... but one of them wasn't and had really lengthy run backs.
    I've often used mailboxes in raids to send over something from an alt or something.

Both AH/Bank are available via Garrison buildings:
    Storehouse gives bank/gbank/voidstorage/xmog NPCs
    Trading Post gives you an AH. Rank 3 Trading Post gives a 20% draenor rep buff (account wide) so you'll probably want it.

The real question you must ask yourself: Change it to what? Remember that engineering usually has a strong tier 1 crafted helm. Crafting armor isn't a 'combat perk' so it shouldn't be going away.

Not much point in keeping 70% nitro on my rogue when I got burst of speed... Glider can be very useful in some BG's though...

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria View Post
    - repbots - they are really only needed in the raid if we cannot mount at any point in the instance AND if there are no rep-vendors inside the raid. plus you basically only need one or two anyways, and in a 20+ raid, chances are there is always at least one, if not by any chance everyone thinks as I do.
    - auction house in Draenor. is there one? is it for all or only engineers?

and even if the answers are "yes the raids are designed with not mounting at any place so repbots are needed" and "yes there is an engineer only AH in draenor and it is the only one there", I seriously asking myself if that is really worth keeping engineering as a profession ...

so anyone with an engineer in the beta knows more about that? I'd appreciate some answers
    thanks
    xeb

(oh I forgot the mailbox. but considering I have placed that one maybe 10 times over the entire time of MoP so far ... I'm sure I won't miss it either)
    There is an AH in the main hub on Ashran, which seems to be for everyone.. There are still uses for Jeeves inside raids (Foundry is an in-door raid as far as I've noticed, Highmaul is outdoors so repair mounts can be used there).. The Mailbox still works, as it should, so no changes there.