View Poll Results: What do you think about glue traps?

Voters
235. This poll is closed
  • Horrible and inhumane! They should be outlawed as a form of animal torture.

59 25.11%
  • Unnecessarily cruel. Should only be used responsibly, as a last resort.

79 33.62%
  • I have no opinion of them either way.

32 13.62%
  • They are okay, whatever gets the job done, regardless of pain/suffering.

46 19.57%
  • I think they're great! It's fun watching them suffer and squirm!

19 8.09%
Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

What is your attitude on glue traps?

For mammals, birds and reptiles?

These things are used on a wide variety of animals, ranging from mice, squirrels, rats, moles, snakes, geckos, sparrows, pigeons, etc. It has been known people use them on feral cats, possums and raccoons too. Here are some pictures to illustrate the point: (click at your own discretion, they're not particularly nice)

https://secure.peta.org/images/Thumb...ionAlerts/5149
    http://www.wrcmn.org/pulse/wp-conten...owglue1www.jpg
    http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...?itok=YJebECQV
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...68_634x465.jpg

Thankfully, there is a way to get them out without harm:

What do you think about these kinds of trap? Repulsive, inhumane and unneeded? Or something that works well?

Those who have used these things - why did you use them? How do you deal with an animal that is still alive on them? Would you use them again?

I've had experience with these traps before, I have rescued many animals from them. Only last week someone bought in a sparrow (I work at a wildlife rehab place), he must have been there for a short time because his feathers were mostly intact. We extracted him unharmed. Not all animals are this lucky, because it appears that the common theme with these traps is that people set them and either do not check them frequently, or catch an animal that is distressed and in pain, and simply throw it into the garbage. Never mind the fact that there's a live animal still on it, which struggle so much as to break or tear/chew off body appendages. And if they don't die from that, they die of dehydration/starvation. It's almost akin to a crucifixion. That's why I support measures to outlaw these traps... there are better alternatives out there that don't involve this kind of torture.

If someone has to use these traps... please please please check them frequently and humanely dispatch the animal caught. If it's an unintended animal that is trapped, you can release it with vegetable. These traps should not be used at all if people will not be responsible enough to administer the coup de grace in a timely manner.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2014-07-21 at 12:37 PM.

Deleted
    If I find someone using them, I will make sure they understand not to use them again.

I can be very persuasive if needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems pretty inhumane.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    There are different kinds of glue traps, and there are many that are humane. The glue is strong enough to hold the animal, but not strong enough to seriously damage them. All traps should be checked daily anyway, because dead animals, especially small ones, often attract worse animals that glue traps won't bother.

Personally, unless a wild animal is damaging your property in a serious manner, "catch and release" should be the strategy of choice.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I think there are better ways to deal with pests, but any trap you set is going to have unwanted consequences. Whether it be poison, or a good old fashioned Mouse Trap, chances are anything can wander in and take the bait.

My only problem with Glue Traps is their open use and lack of monitoring. People seem to throw them around like crazy, come back several weeks later and find several creatures in there, and probably none of which they wanted to get rid of.

Don't have an opinion. Is this like the best thing, or is there a just-as-good alternative?

I think pest control is good.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Personally, unless a wild animal is damaging your property in a serious manner, "catch and release" should be the strategy of choice.
    Meh, it kind of depends I guess. If you've got a rat issue I'd gladly put down poison traps to deal with the issue, but I wouldn't go using Glue Traps because of Birds, or Snakes or something. Just take them to the end of the garden and let them go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Don't have an opinion. Is this like the best thing, or is there a just-as-good alternative?

There are other alternatives to Glue Traps, and like some have already said here, the problem is people put them down and leave them, sometimes for weeks, coming back to find all manner of "innocent" local animals caught in them and have died.

I've heard a few horror stories about kittens, birds and other small household pets getting stuck and killed in these, and it's not pleasant. As smurd said, if you use these be responsible and check them at least daily, preferable in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    If I find someone using them, I will make sure they understand not to use them again.

I can be very persuasive if needed.
    u give good head? that is about the only thing u can do to convince me...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    u give good head? that is about the only thing u can do to convince me...
    I doubt I give good head but I do know a lot about drugs

Edit:
    Well I checked and glue traps are actually illegal here. No wonder I have't seen anyone use them.
    Last edited by mmoce1e4d9dec7; 2014-07-21 at 06:40 AM.

As I've said other times, they seem to be a trap designed for the sadistically inclined. There are plenty of other alternatives that do not involve an animal skinning itself or dislodging a leg in frantic attempts to escape. They're a disgusting, brutal option and should not be allowed in a civilised society.

There are different kinds of glue traps, and there are many that are humane. The glue is strong enough to hold the animal, but not strong enough to seriously damage them. All traps should be checked daily anyway, because dead animals, especially small ones, often attract worse animals that glue traps won't bother.

Rubbish. There is no such thing as a "humane" glue trap. You are still supergluing an animal onto a sheet of plastic, where it will suffer extreme distress. They're all the same, they have to be strong enough to hold the animal in place so it can't escape. If you have that, and an animal pulling itself away, it will get injured, unless it is lucky enough to place its snout in the glue where it'll suffocate and spare itself from hours of misery.

I don't think people should use them so irresponsibly, but I also don't think outlawing them is the solution. Some can't afford to hire an exterminator to come handle a pest problem that traps like this are expected to help handle. Sadly, some things are just going to be abused and you have to accept that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post

No, certainly not the best thing. Quick killing traps are more humane, less messy and can be reused.

Pest control is good, but making animals suffer isn't.

i had never heard of that before and it makes me feel sick to my stomach that there are so-called "people" out there that would cruelly torture an animal to death just because it was annoying them.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Meh, it kind of depends I guess. If you've got a rat issue I'd gladly put down poison traps to deal with the issue, but I wouldn't go using Glue Traps because of Birds, or Snakes or something. Just take them to the end of the garden and let them go.
    I think glue traps are an odd trap of choice for birds or snakes, though there aren't many good options for catching snakes, but really most snakes are harmless. Birds are easy to catch in those one-way feeder traps.

The downside to poison is that it rarely only affects your target and a lot of animals like rats can be highly resilient to it, requiring dangerously toxic poisons. There's runoff issues if the poison dissolves in water and can get into your drinking water or plants (if you garden or grow crops). Poison must be placed where animals you do care about (such as your own cats or dogs) can't reach it, and the fact that it's flavored to be attractive to any animals can make this difficult. Then there's the added effect that the carcass remains poisoned, which poses a threat to other wildlife and once again to your animals, and you're unlikely to have control over where it does. Rotting animal carcasses that are left untouched by animals that realize they are poisoned are also dangerous to children (because kids are stupid) and can have a negative effect on your local water and plant resources.

All in all, I think the downsides to poison heavily outweigh the benefits, especially when there are much more effective, and much less dangerous solutions.

The only think I've ever poisoned are ants, and even then I still clean up the area afterward.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The best solution to any of those pests is a good old feline companion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Rubbish. There is no such thing as a "humane" glue trap. You are still supergluing an animal onto a sheet of plastic, where it will suffer extreme distress.
    I'm sorry, I wasn't aware I shouldn't be hurting the animal's feelings when your own suggested alternative is to KILL IT.

Just, be kind.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware I shouldn't be hurting the animal's feelings when your own suggested alternative is to KILL IT.
    The whole point here is to minimise suffering, because let's face it, sometimes we have to kill animals. That's why a glue trap shouldn't be used over something that kills the animal quickly. At least with a quick killing trap, the animal has no time to be in extreme distress (because it's dead). But to call something that basically superglues an animal's body onto a piece of plastic humane is ridiculous.

i use them for flies.

But also a few years ago we bought a TV that some how was infested with roaches and so we bought glue traps to keep them from getting everywhere and our little pomeranien (spelling) got caught in one (it wasnt very strong dont worry) and it was the funniest thing in the world as she tried to get it off

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I only use glue traps for bugs but in my opinion if you're trying to get rid of pests who cares how it's done? There's no real humane way of killing mice.

Although I must say I've never heard of people wanting to capture birds. What could a bird possibly do?
    Last edited by Dug; 2014-07-21 at 06:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are OK in my opinion. They are more humane than common mousetraps because you can safely remove animal from it and release elsewhere, instead of breaking its spine or neck
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.