Thread: Vsync issues

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Vsync issues

Hi everyone!

right to the point: some games screw up my computer's vsync capabilities.

for the following games vsync just won't work, whether it is set in game settings or forced through nvidia driver panel:
    - The Wolf Among Us (Vsync cannot be set in-game)
    - The Walking Dead - Season 2 (same engine as WAU, Vsync cannot be set in-game)
    - TrackMania 2 Stadium
    - The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief

there are more games that behave strangely when it comes to vsync, but those are the ones i remember and have been playing recently.

Also: all games screw with my PC's vsync capabilities ... once i run one of the games listed above my PC cannot vsync anymore. then i got tearing in YouTube videos (on the desktop) and in every other game, whether vsync usually works with that game or not.
    The only way to "enable" vsync again is to reboot the computer. when i launch one of the listed games again vsync is globally disabled again ...

and i don't get why!?
    i always thought that vsync was some simple driver mechanic that could be forced on and off, simple as that ... but why do some games just screw with it? why are there games that just won't work with vsync ? especially games like WAU or TWD that should be massively immersive completely waste a portion of that potential by constantly throwing screen tearing at me. and needless to say: it annoys the crap out of me. every game i play i would want to play with vsync, but it just isn't possible.

is there a solution to my problem?
    As always: thanks in advance!

Here are my PC's specs:
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4GHz
    CPU Fan: Noctua NH-D 14
    Mobo: Intel DZ68DB
    RAM: some Kingston RAM @ 1333MHz
    GPU: Palit GeForce 460 GTX Sonic 2GB
    SSD1: some Adata 64GB (running OS)
    SSD2: OCZ Vertex 4 120GB (running my games)
    HDD: Seagate Baracuda 2 TB @ 7200rpm
    PSU: Antec HCG 750W
    DVD: some Toshiba ... ^^
    Display: Asus VS248H
    Last edited by mmoc9a551c3d4f; 2014-07-21 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added OS

Deleted
    You don't mention if you play in windowed mode, borderless fullscreen windowed or fullscreen. As most games lack support for vsync when in windowed mode, as far as I know driver based vsync only kicks in when in fullscreen mode (nvidia). There are some third party applications that can enable vsync when in windowed mode. Now with telltalegames vsync in always on by default. +key word for working windowed mode vsync is framelimitter.
    Last edited by mmoc198caea9b6; 2014-07-21 at 06:45 PM.

Deleted
    Have you tried upgrading or downgrading gpu drivers?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crista View Post
    You don't mention if you play in windowed mode, borderless fullscreen windowed or fullscreen. As most games lack support for vsync when in windowed mode, as far as I know driver based vsync only kicks in when in fullscreen mode (nvidia). There are some third party applications that can enable vsync when in windowed mode. Now with telltalegames vsync in always on by default. +key word for working windowed mode vsync is framelimitter.
    all games mentioned are played in fullscreen mode - as far as i recall for telltale games there's no windowed mode ...
    aaaaaand whatever the default for telltale games is: they don't vsync ... never ever!

Funny though that TWD-S2 and WAU also have the same vsync issue with my GFs computer, though i never tested on that pc if after playing those games vsync is disabled in other games as well - anyway here are the specs:

CPU: Intel i5 3450 @ stock
    CPU Fan: stock
    Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK
    RAM: some G.Skill RipJaws @ 1600MHz
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 650 Ti Boost 2x OC (1GB)
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black
    PSU: Antec HCG 520W
    DVD: I have no idea ...
    Display: some crappy Samsung piece

Also, another game coming to mind that produces the same issue is "Banished"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by samthing View Post
    Have you tried upgrading or downgrading gpu drivers?
    actually i have the latest drivers installed, which are 337.88.
    i don't want to downgrade, to be honest.
    I recall that TWD- Season 1 had the same issue (same engine and stuff) as Season 2 now has, back then i - of course - had an older driver installed, the problem was the same though.

Deleted
    nobody any idea ?

Make sure you don't have a target FPS value set in stuff like EVGA precision or MSI Afterburner, those mess with v-sync.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Make sure you don't have a target FPS value set in stuff like EVGA precision or MSI Afterburner, those mess with v-sync.
    i don't have any of those tools installed on neither pc.

Deleted
    Hmm thats interesting as I can play the Telltale games mentioned in windowed mode (Settings->Graphics->fullscreen OFF) and they have do have framelimitter/vsync automatically on when in fullscreen (75fps in menu/59.9fps in game) while in windowed mode not (300+ fps menu/100+ fps in game) with gtx 770 drivers vsync application controlled, something else than missing vsync in those games causing the "tearing" for you if in fullscreen mode. Have you tryed another web browsers and updated the flash player (if available) for those YouTube issues if that fails might try with another monitor if possible.

now adaptive vsync would drop fps to 30 when needed, and games with this will tear if not matching the frame rates.
    Last edited by mmoc198caea9b6; 2014-07-27 at 02:10 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crista View Post
    Hmm thats interesting as I can play the Telltale games mentioned in windowed mode (Settings->Graphics->fullscreen OFF) and they have do have framelimitter/vsync automatically on when in fullscreen (75fps in menu/59.9fps in game) while in windowed mode not (300+ fps menu/100+ fps in game) with gtx 770 drivers vsync application controlled, something else than missing vsync in those games causing the "tearing" for you if in fullscreen mode. Have you tryed another web browsers and updated the flash player (if available) for those YouTube issues if that fails might try with another monitor if possible.

now adaptive vsync would drop fps to 30 when needed, and games with this will tear if not matching the frame rates.
    as i already mentioned the same problem occurs not only on my pc but also that my of GF, she has another monitor too ... so i don't think it is the monitor. flash and stuff is up to date and youtube videos and the like only show vsync issues AFTER playing TWD (or similar) ... if i reboot the pc the vsync issues on desktop are gone and everything is as it is supposed to be.

I've also already tried forcing vsync through nvidia panel but i actually haven't tried adaptive vsync. i'll do that asap and report back to you.

UPDATE: I've tried adaptive vsync and no ... it doesn't work. i still get screen tearing and the game looks alot choppier (30fps of course ...)
    Last edited by mmoc9a551c3d4f; 2014-07-27 at 08:29 AM. Reason: udpated

10+ Year Old Account
    What are you using to monitor your framerate?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by M0cha View Post
    What are you using to monitor your framerate?
    fraps, at least when the game has no built in fps meter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    fraps, at least when the game has no built in fps meter.
    What does it finally settle at?

Deleted
    constant 60 fps ... just as expected.

10+ Year Old Account
    constant 60 fps ... just as expected.
    If it's settling at 60, then vsync is working...

Deleted
    If it's settling at 60, then vsync is working...
    if vsync is working why do i get screen tearing ?

Deleted
    When you said you have Vsync on, you have it through nvdia control panel not geforge experience right? As in Nvidia Control panel>3D options>3D management options? Have you also tried in that tab specifically for each game? Is you desktop set to 100% DPI?

Also if you have Vsync on through Nvidia control panel and x game has its own Vsynv option try turning it off from game or have for that game set it to "let application decide"
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2014-07-28 at 12:40 PM.

if vsync is working why do i get screen tearing ?
    You are likely calling artifacts screen tearing. Vsync locking you @ 60fps is exactly what its supposed to do. Screen tearing is visual lag from exceeding a monitors frequency, inconsistently.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    When you said you have Vsync on, you have it through nvdia control panel not geforge experience right? As in Nvidia Control panel>3D options>3D management options? Have you also tried in that tab specifically for each game? Is you desktop set to 100% DPI?

Also if you have Vsync on through Nvidia control panel and x game has its own Vsynv option try turning it off from game or have for that game set it to "let application decide"
    in the example of The Walking Dead - Season 2 ... i read that Vsync for that game is set "ON" by default and there is no option in game to turn it off. In Nvidia Control panel i already tried Vsync off/on/adaptive/adaptive half/let application decide...

TWD-S2 doesn't show up in GeForce Experience.

My monitor is an Asus V247H that is running at 1920x1080@60hz always and in every game (at least where i can set it to that resolution/refreshrate).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VooDsXo View Post
    You are likely calling artifacts screen tearing. Vsync locking you @ 60fps is exactly what its supposed to do. Screen tearing is visual lag from exceeding a monitors frequency, inconsistently.
    artifacts?

i see tearing ... a single line through the screen, and it seems that above that line and below the image is offset by a couple millimeters ...
    i don't think that that's artifacts ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Well we've identified that Vsync is indeed on. Vsync caps your framerate at your monitor's refresh rate. The tearing could be coming from something else. Set your drivers to have the application decide for everything.

Deleted
    Well we've identified that Vsync is indeed on. Vsync caps your framerate at your monitor's refresh rate. The tearing could be coming from something else. Set your drivers to have the application decide for everything.
    that's the standard setting ... i've resetted everything to stock, still the same issue. (not that i haven't tried that before )