Deleted

Necrotic Plague stacks

I was hoping for some clarification from the people in the beta in regards to how Necrotic Plague works. I see that it can't be refreshed, but instead gains a stack. Mind you, I am looking at this from a blood perspective, if that matters to anyone.

Does this mean that it gets a stack each time we cast Plague Strike, Icy Touch or Outbreak, but it will not last longer than 30 seconds after it was applied? Not a huge deal, we just refresh a single disease every 30 seconds, possibly just with outbreak.

What happens if there are more targets? After the first tick, the second target will be infected. Once the first NP runs off, would it then jump back again from the other mob?

Does the stack carry over, or does it always start at 1? How high could you stack it, spamming Outbreak/PS/IT/Blood Boil?

I think NP looks like a pretty sweet ability for tanking. It spreads quickly and on its own, it's a lot of free runic power (maybe too much to use?) and it means we can just cast it and let it run its course.

What are your thoughts on NP?

Quote Originally Posted by Qieth View Post
    Does this mean that it gets a stack each time we cast Plague Strike, Icy Touch or Outbreak, but it will not last longer than 30 seconds after it was applied? Not a huge deal, we just refresh a single disease every 30 seconds, possibly just with outbreak.
    Yes, that's right.

It auto-spreads at current duration and stacks, so it would expire on all infected targets simultaneously.

Blood Boil spreads it at 1 stack and full duration.

Stacks always start at 1, and max out at 15.

I was hoping for some clarification from the people in the beta in regards to how Necrotic Plague works. I see that it can't be refreshed, but instead gains a stack. Mind you, I am looking at this from a blood perspective, if that matters to anyone.

What happens if there are more targets? After the first tick, the second target will be infected. Once the first NP runs off, would it then jump back again from the other mob?

Does the stack carry over, or does it always start at 1? How high could you stack it, spamming Outbreak/PS/IT/Blood Boil?

I think NP looks like a pretty sweet ability for tanking. It spreads quickly and on its own, it's a lot of free runic power (maybe too much to use?) and it means we can just cast it and let it run its course.

At the moment, NP is a must-have talent for blood, it feels really clunky playing with another lvl100 talent instead. Yes it gains stacks but if you spec for Plaguebringer, it will add a stack of NP with every death coil too.

It's a really nice talent, I love it, I won't be missing my "normal" diseases at all. 15 stacks is the max (30s duration, 2s ticks, 15 stacks) but using DC you can get to that 15 long before those 30s run out - and instead of gaining a stack above 15, it just refreshes it and counts as a tick (so spreads)
    Last edited by falagar112; 2014-07-21 at 02:18 PM.
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

Quote Originally Posted by falagar112 View Post
    instead of gaining a stack above 15, it just refreshes it and counts as a tick (so spreads)
    Is that right? Adding a stack via Plaguebearer, Outbreak, Plague Strike, etc, causes an immediate spread? I didn't know that, I thought it only auto-spread every 2 seconds. Have you tested it, or are you just assuming?

Quote Originally Posted by falagar112 View Post
    At the moment, NP is a must-have talent for blood, it feels really clunky playing with another lvl100 talent instead. Yes it gains stacks but if you spec for Plaguebringer, it will add a stack of NP with every death coil too.

It's a really nice talent, I love it, I won't be missing my "normal" diseases at all. 15 stacks is the max (30s duration, 2s ticks, 15 stacks) but using DC you can get to that 15 long before those 30s run out - and instead of gaining a stack above 15, it just refreshes it and counts as a tick (so spreads)
    You shouldn't use the word refresh. You can't refresh Necrotic Plague, period. If you can on beta it's bugged.

Deleted
    Howling blasts put an extra stack on aswell.

Unholy doesn't stand a chance against Masterfrost on beta atm in PVE.
    In PVP Unholy is unkillable, surely will be nerfed hard.

It's worth noting too that while Plaguebringer is good for easy application of more stacks it loses function when sitting at 15 stacks.
    Just from an ease of use standpoint I found Unholy Blight really nice for Blood as it reduces the number of death strike rune pairs you have to break, as well as stacking the dot quickly not only in single target but for aoe

Yep, Unholy Blight has nice synergy with Necrotic Plague too. You lose sustained rampup but gain burst rampup, and you can do it in AE.

I tend to come from a Frost perspective. Blood adds stacks through Blood Boil, so rampup is less of a concern. That makes Unholy Blight even more attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Yep, Unholy Blight has nice synergy with Necrotic Plague too. You lose sustained rampup but gain burst rampup, and you can do it in AE.

I tend to come from a Frost perspective. Blood adds stacks through Blood Boil, so rampup is less of a concern. That makes Unholy Blight even more attractive.
    Yep. I'm pretty sure that unless a fight has heavy target switching, with far away targets, Unholy Blight will be the way to go. 15 stacks in like 10 seconds is awesome, and we should be able to extend it so it doesn't fall off for at least 90 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkol View Post
    we should be able to extend it so it doesn't fall off for at least 90 seconds.
    No. Only Unholy can extend Necrotic Plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    No. Only Unholy can extend Necrotic Plague.
    Yes, that's what i meant. I should have specified i was talking Unholy i guess.

Festering Strike extends its duration.

Deleted
    As a frost DK i found going with plague leech being the best option. Just use it when the dot is like on 2 seconds, or when you've just applied it(around 4-5 stacks you'll be on when opening). For unholy i don't see a major difference between Plaguebearer and Unholy blight since DC costs that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    just to clarify, for Blood DKs, Blood boil will spread a single stack of NP to other targets...?

if one spams several Blood boils in a row will each cast add one additional stack to the targets that are already infected?

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!