Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Holy Priest bis trinkets & why play as Holy

I play a holy priest since I dont like disc that much as other priests... right now the ilvl is 560. I've been healing soo 10N raids with no problems, almost always better than discs. But I still have some questions about some items, could someone give me a tip about what are the bis trinkets for Holy? if not bis, the best ones... right now I use the trinkets that drop from thok and nazgrim (will change from nazgrim to sha when it drops). I also have 16.5k spirit and its on my confort zone...

The reason you play as disc, is because its (maybe) easier? because you help doing dmg on bosses? why do you choose disc over holy?
    The Merciless Nightelf Rogue - The Sexy Gnome Mage - The Holy Human Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Bernas View Post
    I play a holy priest since I dont like disc that much as other priests... right now the ilvl is 560. I've been healing soo 10N raids with no problems, almost always better than discs. But I still have some questions about some items, could someone give me a tip about what are the bis trinkets for Holy? if not bis, the best ones... right now I use the trinkets that drop from thok and nazgrim (will change from nazgrim to sha when it drops). I also have 16.5k spirit and its on my confort zone...

The reason you play as disc, is because its (maybe) easier? because you help doing dmg on bosses? why do you choose disc over holy?
    We play disc because we do heroics over normal mode. When, or rather if, you do heroics, you would understand. For normals, anything goes.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Normals don't mean shit, but regardless of difficulty, everyone will enjoy what they enjoy. You can raid heroics as holy just fine. Trinkets I'd use Thok and Amp trinket, but some ppl might might disagree.

You can also raid as a marksmanship hunter, demonology warlock or subtlety rogue if you want... nothing stops you from playing sub-par specs in the game.

It's when you do progression that you need to push numbers that it's important. Absorbs are too strong this tier to not use them.

Only fight where holy is better is Malkorok.
    Last edited by Spotnick; 2014-07-21 at 08:44 PM.

Amp and Siegecrafters

Quote Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post
    Normals don't mean shit, but regardless of difficulty, everyone will enjoy what they enjoy. You can raid heroics as holy just fine. Trinkets I'd use Thok and Amp trinket, but some ppl might might disagree.
    You can raid heroics as holy just fine, but it's not optimal unfortunately. And from a raid leader's perspective, it's always better to bring the healer who can not only get it done, but get it done better. Sucks 'cause I really love holy.

I agree with your trinkets though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fefina View Post
    You can raid heroics as holy just fine, but it's not optimal unfortunately. And from a raid leader's perspective, it's always better to bring the healer who can not only get it done, but get it done better. Sucks 'cause I really love holy.

I agree with your trinkets though.
    and to the other posters;

Disc is fine, holy is fine. 'Optimal' is hardly a thing between them at this point in the tier. Holy brings more throughput, disc will snipe the healing of other healers. What you'd probably notice if you were able to do the same fight twice, once in each spec (with no other variables) is going disc would increase your own hps and all the other healers hps would go down - at the end of the day a fight only does so much damage to your raid team. Assuming nobody is being 1shot (in which case a shield from a disc priest would actually be useful) then the healing from your TEAM will be the same (if somehow you were able to do the exact same fight twice), disc will just 'steal' the healing since it gets there before the damage goes out. So in that regard they're both equally fine, holy can do A LOT of throughput, more than enough for any fight currently in the game.
    However, disc does bring damage which isn't insignificant. If you need that extra damage then disc might be the better option indeed. Equally if your raid leader wants you to bring other disc specific utility (Barrier / shell) then that may push people to go disc. Overall though, if you're just there to keep people alive... holy is fine

As for trinkets. Amp trinket is always going to be BiS... with thoks or blackfuse trinket. With blackfuse trinket i'd probably reforge out of spirit to around 12-14k, with thoks I'd leave spirit on gear and keep about 15-17k. Effectively you're choosing between the cleave proc on thoks trinket, or extra throughput stats via reforging with blackfuse trinket. Which one is better will change based on your raid size and tactics for a fight.
    Last edited by mmocc73a7e76d4; 2014-07-21 at 10:53 PM.

Firstly, I apologize for the rather unhelpful comments made some others here. Also, this will probably be a rather detailed and excessive response
    Secondly, I hate to break it to you, but if you're beating disc priests on a regular basis, then those disc priests don't know what they're doing. Perhaps in 10man, with only 2 healers, holy can be a lot more comparable as there are less healers to snipe your heals, but 25man it's nowhere near disc. But I'd mostly say those disc you're beating don't know what they're doing. As with everything in wow, a skilled player at a less ideal class is always better, and will always beat a less skilled player with an op class.

But Holy isn't bad. In fact, its probably got one of the strongest, if not the strongest, throughput in the game right now. It can consistently put out really stupidly huge amounts of healing over a long time. Some would argue that in terms of solo healing, holy is the best spec, and it probably is. There's a reason that the world first 10man heroic Garrosh kill was solo healed by a holy priest.

So, why is disc seemingly so much more popular and favored over holy at the moment?

The short answer is that Disc's absorbs and powerful smart healing, along with the 90 talents, are the most optimal abilities out of any spec at the moment to counter Siege of Orgrimmar's spike and burst orientated damage patterns, while Holy's powerful but consistent throughput (and lack of effective smart heals) is one of the least ideal.
    However, why do I play disc? I enjoy it, and I liked the preemptive style when I first started raiding properly in 5.3
    What should you play? Play what you enjoy, if you enjoy it, you'll be better at it.

In terms of BiS trinkets, the sha trinket will be BiS at all times, and the remaining trinket should be changed depending on the fight: Stacked fights (and 25man) favor Thok's cleave trinket, while spread out fights favor Nazgrim's multistrike trinket. The siegecrafter trinket can also be used, but doing so would encourage reforging/geming out of a large chunk of spirit. Alternatively, if you are finding that a fight is requiring a lot more mana than the rest, you can swap in Siegecrafter's for just that fight.

The very long answer:
    To understand this you need to understand the healing metagame in Siege of Orgrimmar. Due to the way that healing spells and health pools have scaled, the available abilities of the various healers and, most of all, the damage patterns and fight designs of MoP and particularly SoO, healing is extremely burst orientated and spike heavy. Because healing spells far outscaled player health pools, such that a single heal can do upwards of 50% of a players maximum health, Blizzard had to design fights and damage patterns to become more and more spiky so that keeping the raid alive was still a challenge. When your spells can heal for 50% or more of a players health you need spike damage to be doing at least as much or more to a player to prevent them from simply ignoring the damaging mechanics. The problem is that this also makes it very easy for people to die if they aren't at 100% health. If you get hit by a random attack ability that hits for 40% of your health, and then accidentally stand in the fire too, and the fire hits for 70%, well too bad, you're dead.

Since mana became a very minor concern by SoO(and probably earlier), in order to prevent spike deaths the healing game changed from Triage (eg, cata and bc style healing) to simply spamming out as much healing, preferably smart healing, as possible, so that IF someone took damage, they'd be healed back to full immediately, and be safe from dying incase they then took more damage immediately afterwards. The result of this was that most players spend most of the fight at 100% while occasionally taking extreme spike damage that brings them close to death. At the same time, partially for the same reasons as increasing spike damage, partially just because blizzard doesn't think straight, the vast, vast majority of raid encounters, particularly towards the end of the xpac, and especially in SoO, involve "burst" aoe damage mechanics, which bring the entire raid close to death in a very short period of time, and which requires the healers to then heal everyone back to full as fast as possible to prevent random spike damage deaths. Examples include "Swelling Pride" on Sha of Pride, "Falling Ash" on Dark Shamans, "Whirling Corruption" on Garrosh, "Overload" on Siegecrafter, just about every SoO boss has them, and from ToT, examples such as "Quake Stomp" on Tortos, the lightning storm on Jin'Rok, "Quills" on Ji-Kun, the maze on Durumu, etc, etc, etc.
    Because of this style of healing required, the vast majority of healing becomes overhealing. However absorbs do not, because damage is frequent enough that they generally get used before they expire. Now you might want to cry "absorbs op, nerf absorbs", you might not, idc, but if it was simply that absorbs only sniped other healers by making periods of overhealing into effective healing when the absorbs get used, then disc still wouldn't be as popular as it is, cause that's just a matter of pading meters. No, the reason is that in this environment of intense spike damage, where the most common source of deaths is not standing in the fire, but rather bad RNG and random spike damage mechanics, then the ability to absorb damage, rather than heal it back, becomes extremely potent in keeping the raid alive.

Say a player gets hit by the random, unavoidable ability "RNG1337 Dragon Missile Cannon" and it deals about 70% of their health in damage. Its far more beneficial to do an absorb for only 30% of that damage than to be able to heal for 150% afterwards, because it means that the player never dropped below 60%, making it a lot more likely that they survive any subsequent damage before getting healed. Its the same deal with the AoE burst damage, its better to be able to only absorb 20% of the damage before it happens making the raid only drop to say 60% rather than 40%, than it is to be able to quickly heal them for 70% after it happens. Of course these numbers are not realistic, and only meant to explain the point.

Now, absorbs are basically limited to 2 specs: Holy Paladin and Disc Priest, with Disc Priest having the superior absorbs and inferior healing, and holy pala having superior healing and inferior absorbs. So why is Holy Priests, in general, still behind Resto Shammy, Resto Druid, and even MW Monk, when they also don't have absorbs and I said hpriest has the best throughput anyway? Its because if you don't have absorbs then you want the next best thing, burst healing, ie, cooldowns, to help you do the most possible healing in a very short time. Holy Priest doesn't have these. MW Monk doesn't either (it does have revival though), but MW monk also doesn't have 2 healing specs to choose from to skew the log data. It also has the 3rd best thing, which is smart heals. If you can't absorb, and you don't have cooldowns for mad burst healing, then you need smart heals that automatically target the lowest health player and immediately heal them, almost before the game knows its happened, and certainly before the player knows it's happened. Every spec has some kind of smart heals, but holy only has Circle of Healing and Holy Word: Sanctuary, both of which are fairly lackluster.
    Meanwhile disc has the most powerful absorbs and the best smart heal, and while it doesn't have cooldowns, it has the level 90 talents which are even better than cooldowns for most SoO situations. Holy has them too, but it doesn't quiet make up the gap. What holy has is extremely powerful, consistent healing. If a fight was designed such that players were constantly taking damage the entire time and were never at full health, with no periods of increased healing requirement compared to the rest of the fight, then holy would completely smash the other specs. The closest thing at the moment is malkorok (only due to the absorb/no overhealing mechanic), and holy does own this fight, along with mistweavers who are in a very similar situation.
    But still, why do most people now play disc? Well, when 4 of the healing specs offer throughput and only 2 offer absorbs, and you can choose to be either, alot of people choose absorbs because there are already 3 other specs that offer throughput, and holy doesn't bring the most ideal style of throughput.

Disc is also somewhat easier to play than Holy, but its not as mindlessly easy as most people think, just like Resto shaman isn't as simple as spamming chain heal. Holy certainly has some very high skillcaps with things like cascade renew refreshing etc, but disc has its own skillcaps, they're just not as obvious. Things like targeting low health adds for ToF uptime, managing rapture and the LMG procs, making use of Borrowed Time and other passives generally forgotten by the LFR crowd who cry "smite more".

Why do I play disc? I enjoy it, and when I first joined a raiding guild started raiding seriously during ToT, I didn't have the skill or raid awareness for Holy's 'whack a mole' heal them back up style, and the preemptive shield them before it happens approach of Disc felt far more natural to me, and felt like I could offer more to the raid with it.
    What should you play? Play what you enjoy, if you enjoy it, you'll be better at it.

I think you've actually chosen the two least optimal trinkets at the moment. There are only 4 viable ones from SoO, and while none of them are particularly bad, PPoP and DSoD (amp and regen) are far more versatile than the other two. If you're comfortable with your regen, you can ignore DSoD and go with Nazgrim's Insignia for fights where you're spread out, and Thok's Tooth for ones where you're stacked up. Again, this is assuming you've somehow managed to bonus roll both of them (please don't steal them from other healers). Personally, haven't found Nazgrim's insignia to be very useful, but YMMV.

TL;DR - PPoP from Sha and DSoD from Siegecrafter Blackfuse. Thok's Tooth if you want to sacrifice regen for throughput.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    We play disc because we do heroics over normal mode. When, or rather if, you do heroics, you would understand. For normals, anything goes.
    Get off your high horse; both holy and disc are fine. Disc pulls ahead on the meters at the expense of other healers - doesn't mean you'll do any worse if you replace it with holy, provided the player is competent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

Get off your high horse; both holy and disc are fine. Disc pulls ahead on the meters at the expense of other healers - doesn't mean you'll do any worse if you replace it with holy, provided the player is competent.
    Being mad doesn't change the fact I am right though. Disc pulls ahead on the meters by preventing damage before other healers can get to heal -there's a fine difference between this and what you described, but I don't expect you to get it.

Not to mention, Disc has a very efficient way of providing damage to the raid when incoming damage is low or moderate, while not eschewing healing.

You can choose to gimp yourself, but a competent disc >>>> competent holy for any heroic fight any day of the week.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Being mad doesn't change the fact I am right though. Disc pulls ahead on the meters by preventing damage before other healers can get to heal -there's a fine difference between this and what you described, but I don't expect you to get it.

Not to mention, Disc has a very efficient way of providing damage to the raid when incoming damage is low or moderate, while not eschewing healing.

You can choose to gimp yourself, but a competent disc >>>> competent holy for any heroic fight any day of the week.
    May be your opinion, my opinion is I feel a lot more comfortable 2 healing Garrosh25hc as holy than disc... disc lacks the throughput to actually keep up with raw damage. Although I'll admit that if you're overhealing fights anyway then actual healing hardly matters and disc might prevent people being 1shot by avoidable damage

I stopped raiding hc 25m due to holy not pulling the numbers my guild wanted that and some medical issues all guilds 25m i see 2 heal it with a disc priest only holy priest i see is methods and the odd us guild all others are disc and if i liked disc i would play that but i just don't disc is op and that's why its weak in wod beta due to tweaks in the specc.

Disc is a good specc and holy too but saying holy is fine well yes it is fine but it is also below average we all have different opinions and disc is very strong disc might not be strong in 10s but in 25m it is i am looking forward to holy in wod it will be much better then it is now yes its fine but most guilds see numbers and that is something holy doesn't do well in.

My opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kacie View Post
    I stopped raiding hc 25m due to holy not pulling the numbers my guild wanted that and some medical issues all guilds 25m i see 2 heal it with a disc priest only holy priest i see is methods and the odd us guild all others are disc and if i liked disc i would play that but i just don't disc is op and that's why its weak in wod beta due to tweaks in the specc.

Disc is a good specc and holy too but saying holy is fine well yes it is fine but it is also below average we all have different opinions and disc is very strong disc might not be strong in 10s but in 25m it is i am looking forward to holy in wod it will be much better then it is now yes its fine but most guilds see numbers and that is something holy doesn't do well in.

My opinion.
    ... you need to use periods and commas more. :P

I have found that disc is strong enough in 10s, certainly stronger than holy anyway.

I agree though, and I think the material point is that holy is capable of performing very well, but disc is capable of more and can provide so much more to a raid. I think it's said best here:

I tried to raid as holy and found it so frustrating - you simply can't keep up with the other healers, and you end up working your ass off for sub-par results. Disc, in it's current state, is not necessarily easier to play (I won't get into that argument here) but seems to have more oomph. There's nothing like saving someone's butt with a well-timed shield or blanketing the raid with SS to absorb some raid wide damage.

In WoD, who knows... it's too soon to tell. But I would be very surprised if disc doesn't end up on top in the end, as usual.

I'll openly admit my aversion towards Disc, I've not liked it ever. I was Disc for part of Vanilla and TBC(we took turns being token Spirit buffer), and hated it. In WotLK, I used it a lot more and did an even 50-50 spec swap depending on the fight. Throughout, I've always viewed Disc as a one trick pony that only really dominated on light fights where you can take advantage of healing sniping with absorb mechanics. But even when I was heavily using both specs, I've always loved Holy far more.

It's hard to describe, but Holy has an ebb and flow to it that Disc sorely lacks. When I play Holy I feel like a maestro conducting a sonata. Maybe it's only apparent when you are coming from Holy and not the other way around. ./shrug

Keeping the discussion focused around Holy, while I haven't healed much on my priest this expac I did so in Cataclysm and did 10H progression as 100% Holy at the time. I liked it much more b/c it has, imo, a much higher skillcap and a much bigger toolbox. I think raiding in 10mans has inflated this impression a lot, since Serenity is far more potent and demand for healing being a lot more varied (tank, triage, spot healing, and raid burst). I never had a problem keeping anyone alive, intelligent use of Holy Word Serenity and dare I say PWS (yeah Holy can situationally have a use for this spell as well! ).

The trinkets I'd go after:
    1) Prismatic Prison of Pride - Great passive boost to all secondary stats, which Holy can take advantage of. The Int proc is random but welcome in the sort of fights SoO has.
    2) Dysmorphic Samophlange of Discontinuity - higher ilvl generic Int trinket with regen proc

Side note, the trinket names have really gotten more convoluted and esoteric. :|

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernas View Post
    why do you choose disc over holy?
    Because I find it more fun! I've done the other styles of healing - HoT, direct heal, AoE, whack-a-mole, spam one ability on a tank - to death and Atonement mixed with intelligent shielding is a nice change. If it was about playing the easier choice I would still be jumping about on my original healer - nothing is easier than sticking with what you know.

As for trinkets with Holy; Thok's and PPoP ideally, switching out Thok's for Nazgrim's as needed.

Great Post Atonement, I haven't really played a healer this expansion other than in LFR but the points you made was my point of view and it is nice to see it made from someone who actually heals. I don't really like Disc play style it seems rather stupid easy (except for the points you made), although with smart heals I guess that can be true for any class/spec I switched to holy recently has my offspec just for something different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atonement View Post
    Firstly, I apologize for the rather unhelpful comments made some others here. Also, this will probably be a rather detailed and excessive response
    Indeed.
    Last edited by zenkai; 2014-07-24 at 05:41 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Switched to Holy for a time after we had like 3 disc priests and it simply can't throw out the healing needed at a quick enough measure on the majority of fights. Thats not to say all, obviously Malkorok heroic 25 they're strong due to their mastery and the shields preventing any overhealing but they're decent for heroic Thok as well due to the speed of incoming damage which can easily overwhelm disc priest absorbs. Constant health regen from EoL and grouping up to make use of sanctuary. I could keep up with disc priests simply enough on that fight. But any other fight, I found that i was just being buried by constant aoe healing from druids and shammies that we can't match. But that doesn't mean Holy is bad, it's just not ideal as Atonement has already made a well written post with reasons. But in the end, it comes down to playing a spec you find preferable. You can do any fight with a holy priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Themos View Post
    I'll openly admit my aversion towards Disc, I've not liked it ever. I was Disc for part of Vanilla and TBC(we took turns being token Spirit buffer), and hated it. In WotLK, I used it a lot more and did an even 50-50 spec swap depending on the fight. Throughout, I've always viewed Disc as a one trick pony that only really dominated on light fights where you can take advantage of healing sniping with absorb mechanics. But even when I was heavily using both specs, I've always loved Holy far more.

It's hard to describe, but Holy has an ebb and flow to it that Disc sorely lacks. When I play Holy I feel like a maestro conducting a sonata. Maybe it's only apparent when you are coming from Holy and not the other way around. ./shrug

Keeping the discussion focused around Holy, while I haven't healed much on my priest this expac I did so in Cataclysm and did 10H progression as 100% Holy at the time. I liked it much more b/c it has, imo, a much higher skillcap and a much bigger toolbox. I think raiding in 10mans has inflated this impression a lot, since Serenity is far more potent and demand for healing being a lot more varied (tank, triage, spot healing, and raid burst). I never had a problem keeping anyone alive, intelligent use of Holy Word Serenity and dare I say PWS (yeah Holy can situationally have a use for this spell as well! ).
    I didn't play disc (or anything really) before MoP, but from what I've heard, disc has changed considerably. The idea that disc can only snipe hps in low dmg environments isn't really applicable to the current healing model. While sniping hps in 'low damage' situations is still an inevitable side effect of absorbs, its not the reason that disc is the best healer at the moment. The way that fights are designed at the moment is such that RNG spike damage can easily 1shot a player, and in that environment the ability to absorb damage becomes more important than healing it back afterwards. You'll find there's a very real and noticeable difference between a raid group with no disc/hpalla and one with them, especially in 25man where the main source of deaths is spike damage.
    I do agree that holy has a great synergy to its play style that gives it a very fluid feel, but I don't agree that disc currently lacks that same synergy. In the past it most likely did lack that kind of interaction between abilities, however currently there is strong synergy between atonement, train of thought, twist of fate, archangel, rapture, spirit shell and borrowed time that gives disc its own unique feel. And although the 'damage to heal' style of atonement feels wrong to some players, its essentially no more powerful than any other spamable smart heal such as Chain heal, and the damage from a disc priest is very, very rarely a deciding factor when determining raidspots.

And skillcaps. This is something that really gets me. When people say disc is easy and has no skill cap, just smite and win, it's the same as saying resto shamans just chain heal and remember to healing rain. Resto druids just mushroom and afk. These things are completely incorrect.
    In terms of skill caps, disc is only easier to learn, and more effective in the hands of an incompetent player, than holy is, but thats just cause holy has no powerful smart heals, however this only serves to obscure the true skillcaps of playing disc, which are no less challenging than those of any other healing spec, they're just vastly different. All specs, disc and holy included, have the skill cap of learning which spell is most applicable for a given situation, and all specs must master the use of their various procs and passives. For holy, this is things like chakra dancing, renew refreshing and making the best use of FD:CL and Serendipity procs, but disc has just as many things to deal with, such as maintaining and making the best use of archangel, managing rapture, borrowed time and train of thought. And where holy has to be acutely aware of damage and be ready to respond instantly to individual and raidwide health in the 'whack a mole' style of throughput healing, a disc priest needs to be equally aware of incoming damage and impending mechanics in order to preemptively shield both individuals and the raid as a whole, and this requires careful planing and time management to ensure that you aren't caught without enough time to prepare. While a good holy priest should be aware of the status and position of enemy mobs, a good disc priest needs to be aware of these things too, as well as monitoring the health of enemy mobs and adds in order to maintain uptime on twist of fate, and to be aware of mechanics that causes the disc to do increased damage to the enemies. And although disc priests can get away with very low spirit, this also requires very careful management of all their mana generating and saving abilities, and the interaction of those with procs such as the LMG. We don't get to simply drop our spirit down to 6k and then lol and forget about mana. I don't play holy enough to list the finer details of its skill caps, but I'm sure they're no more and no less challenging than any other healer, disc included.

Anyway, all that aside, first and foremost, you should play what you enjoy, or more specifically, don't play what you don't enjoy. If you don't enjoy disc, don't play it, but if you've never played it you should try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Themos View Post

>snip<
    Yup, I agree with this. The pinnacle of my raiding this x-pac was flex with a few normals but it is true that holy has a flow that some other healing specs lack (not just disc).

This expansion when playing holy instead of holy you are letting your are bringing your raid down by not playing disc. If you want to get in a 14hc guild they wont let you in as holy just because 1 holy priest in the raid means 1 less possible disc priest.