Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"Hipster" hardware

Replied to a couple of threads recently and kinda realised that some of the... older bits of kit I have would still be considered "classics" and/or stuff that would still hold it's own.

In my case Dell 2405fpw (1900x1200 IPS flatscreen) and Logitech Z680 5.1 speakers. Both are still pretty high end 11 years after purchase.

There's also an ancient Vapochill PE still sat in one of my bits boxes. Never been arsed to getting a modern CPU's gasket for it but keeping ones CPU at -20c makes all these "high end" machines with watercooling look positively pedestrian

So.. silly thread but what do we have in the way of "golden oldies" hardware wise?

(Not so much "I still have a voodoo 1" more "I still have X which is about as good as a modern Y")
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2014-07-21 at 03:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Deleted
    In before the flood of overclocked 2500Ks... Does HD 5850 count?

I've got a 2500k clocked at 4700mhz....

Quote Originally Posted by samthing View Post
    In before the flood of overclocked 2500Ks... Does HD 5850 count?
    I was into overclocked 2500's before it was cool though. Also still have the Z680's myself too, they're still ridiculously good for the price, though I did give them some nice QED wiring instead of the original copper threads they came with. Oh and I'm still using my Scythe Infinity cooler.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    There's also an ancient Vapochill PE still sat in one of my bits boxes. Never been arsed to getting a modern CPU's gasket for it but keeping ones CPU at -20c makes all these "high end" machines with watercooling look positively pedestrian
    eh, cooling is not so much a concern anymore, pretty much anything 200w will keep you cool enough for a daily use OC, i could probably even get away with a passive heatsink in my system and stay at 4.6Ghz

the thing is, computer enthusiasts are about bleeding edge, old systems get passed to younger siblings or put in the attic, i don't think anyone would really take pride in having an old system, it just doesn't match the personality type of the community in general, there are old systems still in use though, but people only brag about them when its something impressive, ie an old SPARC with a 9 year uptime

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I've got a 2500k clocked at 4700mhz....

I was into overclocked 2500's before it was cool though. Also still have the Z680's myself too, they're still ridiculously good for the price, though I did give them some nice QED wiring instead of the original copper threads they came with. Oh and I'm still using my Scythe Infinity cooler.
    Same on the speaker cable, can't quite remember what I bought but it was a reel of...better speaker wire. Not into audioquest "liquid gold coated, xenon infused, electron free, wormhole creating" kind of range but it was ok

read the title and thought it was a thread about Apple products.. glad I was wrong.

My server was upgraded from 2x Intel PII 300mhz to a Athlon Thunderbird 1G which is almost as old and it runs fantastic.

Deleted
    after seeing this thread, decided to check out what hardware I have that is not being utilised.

Graphics Cards
    Radeon X850
    ATI 9600
    HD2600 pro
    Righteous 3Dfx
    ATI Rage 128 Pro

CPU's
    AMD Duron
    AMD XP 2000 ?
    Intel I486 DX2
    AMD Athlon 1800

Mobo's
    Gigabyte GA7ZX
    Asrock AM2NFS3-VSTA
    AOpen AP43
    gigabyte m720-us3
    Gigabyte GA7ZXE

Other parts
    Adaptec AVA1505/1515 SCSI Card
    Huppage! 26559 Win TV card
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card
    Sigma Designs Hollywood Plus DVD/MPEG-2 Playback Card

That lot is in a single box, I have another box of hardware buried at the back of my spare room, with god knows what.
    Also there are a couple of generic cases, and a Thermaltake Xaser III Steel case that I made a mess of trying to modify for a WC system. (should really try and fix that)

I guess it's only natural the thread became a general hardware reminisce My point was kind of the parts that were old but still relevant and holding their own in modern setups but... however the threads going to flow I guess

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a Pentium II 333mhz CPU + mobo in my basement closet that I acquired 10 years ago from god knows where.

Intel i7 4770k @ 4.79Ghz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte Z87X-OC | Corsair HX1050 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | 4 x 2TB WD Green HDD | 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R Black/Orange | Corsair Scimitar Mouse | Logitech G710+ Keyboard

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    I guess it's only natural the thread became a general hardware reminisce My point was kind of the parts that were old but still relevant and holding their own in modern setups but... however the threads going to flow I guess
    The thing is, aside from peripherals pretty much everything gets outdated real fast.

I just recycled a bunch of stuff because I ran out of room lol

I think the oldest pieces I have still kicking around are; an Athlon 1500, probably 12 lbs worth of various RAM from PC-100/133, RAMBUS, DDR1/2/3, GeForce 4 Ti, Radeon X300, P3-450 Slotket, like a dozen 3Com 3C905TX a Cisco Catalyst 2100 and 2613.

I don't even know why...
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I just recycled a bunch of stuff because I ran out of room lol

I think the oldest pieces I have still kicking around are; an Athlon 1500, probably 12 lbs worth of various RAM from PC-100/133, RAMBUS, DDR1/2/3, GeForce 4 Ti, Radeon X300, P3-450 Slotket, like a dozen 3Com 3C905TX a Cisco Catalyst 2100 and 2613.

I don't even know why...
    I think I still have a socket 7 motherboard from my first computer sitting around.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I think I still have a socket 7 motherboard from my first computer sitting around.
    Get that MMX power!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have an 8800 Ultra that I refuse to recycle. It just sits on my shelf and gets me yelled at by my wife

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Get that MMX power!
    I think the processor was a Cyrix M2. It also had 64MB of EDO RAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfreak View Post
    I have an 8800 Ultra that I refuse to recycle. It just sits on my shelf and gets me yelled at by my wife
    I think I have an 640MB 8800GTS somewhere around here. It probably still works.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I have an old system with an AMD Athlon 1500+ and an nVidia GeForce 3 Ti 220 in it. That was my first 'gaming' computer. Also have an old K8 somewhere. Good stuff indeed

Edit: Found my intel celeron PC that was the family computer WAY back in the day. This thing was shit even when we bought it new! XD

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50Ghz, OC'd to 4.0Ghz | 8GB Corsair DDR3-1066 RAM | Gigabyte Z97-HD3
    NVIDIA GeForce 680GTX 2048MB VRAM | Corsair 750TX 750W PSU | Phantecks Dual fan PH-TC14PE

I have a P4 HT machine hooked up to a tv for playing NES/Genesis emulators.
    And on my main rig I'm still rocking the Logitech Z640 5.1 speakers, can't bring myself to get rid of them.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    2500K overclocked to 4.4GHz

Also, one of my three monitors is an old Gateway that was extremely popular and still has a gorgeous look. It's actually quite similar in colors to my far newer ASUS MX239H AH-IPS panel!

It's a Gateway HD 2201. Came with a Gateway DX system I bought years back before I learned all that I know now. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

My secondary rig has an 8800gt which I paid $200 for seven years ago and it can still stand up to modern games somewhat well, its biggest problem nowadays is that it only has 512mb of vram. IMO its the best graphics card ever made considering its value.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm using an AMD FX-6350, I'm already a hardware hipster! (And I love it by the way)

I also have an AMD athlon x2 that I almost lit on fire overclocking to high on air, and it still works somehow. I swear it burnt the bejeezus out of my fingers touching if after force shut down :P
    You're a towel.