Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Potentially New Sub-races

So, it's almost certain we would be geting new and extra customizations in the next expansion after WoD, what's not certain is if they'll simply be extra skin options thrown in, OR they'd be done properly as sub-races.

The game has a rich lore, diverse, tons of sub-factions and racial factions many players have been itching to play, but has it been itching for the skin only? or to actually play a new kind of member to your existing races?

For example, some would not touch the orcs, they're green, brutish, often cruel and quite war-mongering , not for me a player owuld say, but bring a mag'har orc in, tribal, yet really honourable, peace-seeking yet quite the skiled hunter/warrior, certainly not a warmonger , different characteristic , and brown skinned to boot. well, that might be worth playing - not just for the cool customization skin, but also the lore of it.

you see a sub-race member has the possibility of being a loner that has come from his racial faction group to join the main body, or could be the whole group decided they'd join the horde/alliance - whatever they choose, new stories and new developments await, and certainly more than just oh hey, nice cool skin lets not do anything else. so we have tons of people running around with new skins and having no idea what they mean.

There are a bunch of existing sub races, true, however always opportunity for new ones, and there are some exicting ones that can be, if they go down this root, here are some possiblities.. do you have more? How would you write these ones in, what would make a really cool racial faction to add as a sub-race?

Potentially New Sub-races
    - well it would be fool-hardy to do an awesome thing like sub-races and not take full advantage to make some really interesting new kick ass additions or potentials.
    e.g.
    • Cyborg Gnomes - a half mechagnome/gnome group born out of gnomish tinkering with mecha gnomes
    • San'layan - an expansion of vampiric blood elf lordlings.
    • Demon Hunter Night Elves - a sub group of Night elves with darker skin tones, fel runes and some part demon changes
    • Forsaken Unliving - forsaken that look human but not quite alive, a result of an experiment to regen undead bodies or an attempt by a San'layan to make a band of human vampires from the Lordareon survivors under his control to rule the Eastern Kingdoms but gets defeated when Sylvannas beats him and they join her for freeing them.
    • Eredar malgan - a breed of Eredar that didn't quite become Man'ari and found ways to seaparate themselves from Sargeras power, the process however leaves them looking altered from original draenei and from burning legion Lords.
    • Cenarian Elves - a rare breed of night elves that are a cross between Sons/Daughters of Cenarius and Night Elves. They walk on 2 -legs but they have interesting features like Antlers, or leaves for hair, 1 hand a wooden claw, 1 foot sort of wooden and a dears tail at the end.

Deleted
    I'd rather we got more canonical subraces, and I'd rather they didn't try to shoehorn subraces into each race. My ideas:

Alliance:
    > Humans - High Elves, Half Elves
    > Dwarves - Dark Iron, Wildhammer
    > Night Elves - Highborn
    > Draenei - Broken

Horde:
    > Orc - Mag'har, Blackrock
    > Tauren - Taunka
    > Undead - Undead Elves, Leper Gnomes
    > Trolls - Forest Trolls

- - - Updated - - -

That way things are balanced throughout factions. 6 subraces each; two races per faction get two subraces; each faction gets a subrace which is a version of a race from the opposite faction; a race from each faction has a subrace with an entirely new model (Broken and Taunka) rather than just a reskin. I'd love to see each one unlocked via a quest chain.

I'd love subraces but I don't think every race needs them and I don't think they need to all be balanced in number.

Blizzard would probably never do this because the screams of "WTF FACTION/RACE BIAS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FUCK THIS GAME!!!" would be too much for them, but it would be nice if Trolls could play any race of Troll, or if Dwarves had access to Wildhammer/Dark Iron/etc.

Deleted
    I'd say there would be a whole lot more open.

Like for Trolls and Orcs a simple change of skin colour to show that they are of Fakkari/Drakkari and Blackrock/Dragonmaw, and so on. Same goes for Dwarves, they also already have the skin textures for the new models as well as Orcs for the Dark Iron and Wildhammer, obviously just not for character customization.

Dwarf sub-races would give me a boner that i could kill people with. But i'm responsible enough to own such an appendage. No Murder Boner from this guy.

Subraces that allow other class/race combination, but still lock people out in other ways, because of lore. Would just rock.

The Highborne look no different from normal Night Elves. It is a difference in political position, not a physical one.

Just have pale skin and white hair. That's how I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancowski View Post

Subraces that allow other class/race combination, but still lock people out in other ways, because of lore. Would just rock.
    like highbourne or demonhunter night elves could both have warlock as an option but not druid and priest, warlock being an option not accessible to regular night elves

blood elves blue eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    The Highborne look no different from normal Night Elves. It is a difference in political position, not a physical one.

Just have pale skin and white hair. That's how I do it.
    that's not to say as developers you can't create a different look tho. For starters highbourn all have silver eyes, so no gold eyes on males and that's already one difference

another difference could be their ears could be at blood elf angles too, don't forget blood elves and high elves are highbourne really that are slightly diminshed

they could also gie them darker ski tones, and differetn hair colour options like light blue/silver, silver pink hues, , and black, removing the rich green and rich blue tones, and give them largely blood elf hairstyles.

one step further, not just have silver glowy eyes, but a really nice kidna of pink purple and dark purple glow with black speks like stars or silver specks like stars

secondly, rather than use a night elf model, highbourne could instead use a blood elf model but with night elf features, i.e. it would be stretcehd to night elf height, which is only slightly larger, same blood elf gait/bild/same blood elf animation, but it would have night elf skin tones, night elf eye brows and hairstyles, with some blood elf hair styels, nght elf hair colours, but with some extra ones like light blue, silver blue silver pink variationsm use blood elf eyebrows, and some blood elef hairstyles in the mix, they';d have night elf silver eyes, etc

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    like highbourne or demonhunter night elves could both have warlock as an option but not druid and priest, warlock being an option not accessible to regular night elves
    Yes, that would be excellent.

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue with subraces is that if you were to give every single race one the fluff would feel rather forced upon you, probably one of the best examples of this is the Taunka who frankly have no business in Mulgore. Naturally it will be stretched slightly, but there is a point.

Dwarves - Wildhammer and Dark Iron
    Draenei - Broken

Orcs - Mag'har
    Tauren - Grimtotem
    Forsaken - Undead High Elf

These combinations all work within the current lore and would give each faction 1 sub race which is a recolour (Mag'har and Dark Irons), one race that uses another model that is already present within the game (Broken and Undead High Elf) and finally 1 race that simply adds some minor cosmetics to create a subrace (Grimtotem and Wildhammer).

While these combinations feature more Horde races than Alliance ones (Which I know will boil the blood of some) despite the same number of combinations, I feel these are the easiest to implement while at the same time being the easiest to play as lore wise without it becoming jarring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Forest Trolls is iffy stuff. Unless they go far to strongly change the physique of the models, just a green skin wouldn't achieve much. If someone play a bit with the character creation panel you can come up with a Darkspear Troll having a skin green almost as the one of a Forest one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Tauren - Grimtotem
    Grimtotem are just completely black Tauren, you can create a Tauren like that even now and pretend to be a renegade in some RP stuff. Furthermore, all Grimtotem are black, but not all black Tauren are Grimtotem.

Some minor cosmetic difference is possible for a Wildhammer, but for a Grimtotem there's really nothing else to add.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Some minor cosmetic difference is possible for a Wildhammer, but for a Grimtotem there's really nothing else to add.
    Grimtotem usually wear war paint on themselves in a similar fashion to how Wildhammers distinguish themselves with tattoos. As I said in my post its ultimately a minor cosmetic feature that simply brings the model closer to a particular sub race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Grimtotem are just completely black Tauren, you can create a Tauren like that even now and pretend to be a renegade in some RP stuff. Furthermore, all Grimtotem are black, but not all black Tauren are Grimtotem.

They have that sweet body-paint tho. Skulls and shit. Could really just make it option for all tauren with more patterns.

I would imagine the sub-races will just be small changes to the new models like blue eyes for blood elves or black skin and red eyes for dwarves.

I really doubt they'll add sub-races that require brand new models like broken draenei would.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I think Forsaken Hunters should have used Blood Elf model ... maybe give it to Forsaken Rogues too. Also, Blood Elf models for Night Elves to be the Quel'dorei ... though unable to be Druid.

couldnt you have just added this to the subrace photoshop thread?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ockups/page135
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

wanted to discuss lore theories and ideas for potential new sub races people were imagining

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    [*]Demon Hunter Night Elves - a sub group of Night elves with darker skin tones, fel runes and some part demon changes
    Seems more like a class than a sub race doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

Quote Originally Posted by ScourgeSlayer View Post
    Seems more like a class than a sub race doesn't it?
    but it would be a kick ass sub-race, a group of night elves who take after Illidan's view on the demonic, like that demon hunter you meet in felwood, they don't have to be called demon hunters, they could be given a name like Ashran NElves - most of which become demon hunters should the class become availalbe

they do sound like an awesome sub race group