Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Rehabilitation is a personal choice, the same as the choice to go to prison in the first place, which is why for all the programs that exist, every single one fails, because the majority of people in prison are right where they should be, Prison is to Punish, and protect society IMO, rehabilitation should be a distant second thought.
    Which is why your recidivism rate is decidedly higher than in other countries that actually put rehabilitation first.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Which is why your recidivism rate is decidedly higher than in other countries that actually put rehabilitation first.
    I am not sure you could be correct, but I doubt it, not many countries like the U.S that includes the history with have along with the types of freedoms we enjoy, our recidivism rate is high, extremely high, but I am still pretty sure that has a lot more to do with the choice on individuals rather than society or the system as a whole and how it treats criminals. Keep in mind I do NOT advocate for cruelty, but I DO NOT think prisons work now, and I think far too much money is wasted on them. And personally I think when in Prison you should lose most of your rights as a citizen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    In Michigan and 44/47 other states, yes.
    It's very different to the system we have in the UK, where the staff are state appointed, so there would be no need to have these sorts of gimmicks.

Beyond drawing attention to the fact the Sheriff is still alive, I can't actually see how this would be of benefit to the prison system, but any press is better than none I suppose for people that need re-election at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I am not sure you could be correct, but I doubt it, not many countries like the U.S that includes the history with have along with the types of freedoms we enjoy, our recidivism rate is high, extremely high, but I am still pretty sure that has a lot more to do with the choice on individuals rather than society or the system as a whole and how it treats criminals. Keep in mind I do NOT advocate for cruelty, but I DO NOT think prisons work now, and I think far too much money is wasted on them. And personally I think when in Prison you should lose most of your rights as a citizen.
    The US doesn't have particularly different freedoms than Western European countries, barring their poorly thought out gun laws.

In the UK we have a system that is somewhere in between the US and European systems, it's something of an abortion, but it is still better than the US system, which is borderline medieval in its policy.

As I've said on a number of occasions on these boards, there are some things the US can be extremely proud of, and there are others that they should be utterly ashamed of, and their prison system is squarely in the latter category.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    We should treat them all with equal humanity.

It is what makes us better than the ones that don't deserve it, and helps the ones who will appreciate it to know what being a valued member of society entails.
    I disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I disagree.
    And I think that those who disagree are almost as low down the civilised scale as the criminals. Hey ho.

Perhaps there is an island somewhere that we can send you all to slog it out - apparently Australia is off limits nowadays.

Good. I know the biggest part of prison I hated was that tacky orange color. Now, when I commit a crime, I can be in mostly my favorite color. Maybe if I roll around in the dirt a little bit I can blend in and escape more easily!

Excellent work going retro. Though, hot pink..... sounds kinda nice. We should allow prisoners to choose their own color. Make prisons look like someone threw up a box of crayons. Hot pink, bright blue, bright yellow, orange, red, purple! So many choices!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    We could just preemptively jail everyone who dresses like a prisoner (for non-work related reasons), since if they think looking like they're in prison is cool, they're probably going to think committing crime is cool too.

Sounds like a good call for reeducation centers at least.
    Eh, lets just preemptively jail everyone.

Period.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree to an extent. SOME should be, some shouldn't. The ones that shouldn't, shouldn't feel like they are on vacation (relatively speaking).

I tried to data a sheriff's daughter once. Rich family. Wasn't like some western sheriff, it was county sheriff. I didn't know what to think about it.
    No one in prison feels like they're on vacation, regardless of the clothes they're wearing. Prison is horrible. Even jail is no pleasure cruise.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pz3syET3DY

John Oliver did a great segment about prisons in the US the other night.

And I think that those who disagree are almost as low down the civilised scale as the criminals. Hey ho.

Perhaps there is an island somewhere that we can send you all to slog it out - apparently Australia is off limits nowadays.
    Ok you ripe cunt, what you are saying is, I can go and rape 500 school girls, murder their entire familys and eat them sssssllllooowwwwwllllyyyyy on television and still be worth rehabilitating?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    No one in prison feels like they're on vacation, regardless of the clothes they're wearing. Prison is horrible. Even jail is no pleasure cruise.
    The alpha's love unlimited pudding cups and all the ass they can handle.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2014-07-23 at 12:11 AM.

Ok you ripe cunt, what you are saying is, I can go and rape 500 school girls, murder their entire familys and eat them sssssllllooowwwwwllllyyyyy on television and still be worth rehabilitating?

- - - Updated - - -

If you do all that then you should be locked in a facility for the criminally insane.

i hope more tax dollars go into worrying about the apparel of criminals.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Not really. And those "alphas" especially don't like being pushed around by prison guards.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

lol easy turbo...
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Treating them with humanity doesn't necessarily mean they are ever going to be free, as they'd still have to serve their sentence.

One of Britain's most notorious child killers apparently became rehabilitated, but the severity of her crimes meant she would die in jail, which she did.

I appreciate that English isn't your first language, but it's not really a difficult concept to grasp, so I'm unsure as to what part of it you are failing to get.

She should have been gased for that, mate. I as well, given my completely unrealistic example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Eh, lets just preemptively jail everyone.

Period.
    Depending on who you ask, we already have been.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    She should have been gased for that, mate. I as well, given my completely unrealistic example.
    Gassed? It happened in the 1960's, not during the Battle of the Somme.

Gassed? It happened in the 1960's, not during the Battle of the Somme.
    Stoned then. No love lost for some criminals like that. Child killers, cop killers... no longer human in my eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stoned then. No love lost for some criminals like that. Child killers, cop killers... no longer human in my eyes.
    I'm not sure how plying them with illicit drugs would solve anything, and I would've thought that even alcohol isn't permitted in prisons.

Tea is obviously acceptable. We aren't barbarians.

Do you want to provide any further evidence that my statement "[a]nd I think that those who disagree are almost as low down the civilised scale as the criminals" was true? I think you've shown it enough, but carry on at your pleasure.