Deleted

My colleague said this with regards to resting from exercise...?

First things first, I usually run 5-6.5km every second day, so Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun, Tue, Thu, Sat, Mon... etc, and I ran 11 kilometres on Sunday, and I was really tired and I told my colleague that I haven't missed running every other day since the 6th July, and that I haven't missed every 3rd day since I started exercising (mid-May), then he said that I should rest because the body actually loses weight faster when you take [longer] breaks every now and then, something to do with the body FIGHTING BACK against the 'routine' so you actually lose more, is this true?

There is evidence that switching up your workouts and basically surprising your body prevents people from plateuing. But the rest thing isn't going to do anything really, because that's more for people who are lifting, not running.

So I would say your friend is mostly wrong here.

Deleted
    Kinda wish it did, I am really tired in the legs at the moment so could use a rest, but I don't want to break my 'streak' :P

Thanks for replying

Quote Originally Posted by grimsanta View Post
    that's more for people who are lifting, not running.
    That's what I would assume as well, since you don't have the "tearing and recovery" in running... that I'm aware of.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Yeah, your friend just doesn't know much about running. Consistency is the key in running, and almost everyone that gives a crap about becoming a decent runner runs at least 5 times per week. In the context of lifting, that recovery period is essential for building new muscle tissue, but the primary drivers of success in distance running are things that don't require much recovery period - VO2Max, lactate threshold, increased bone density and ligament strength, neuromuscular coordination, and mental toughness are the biggies. Those are developed by running more, not less. There's something to be said for rest if you're doing extremely hard interval workouts, but otherwise, you can run nearly every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    Kinda wish it did, I am really tired in the legs at the moment so could use a rest, but I don't want to break my 'streak' :P

Thanks for replying
    Then rest! Your streak doesn't really matter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post

Thanks for replying
    Then rest. Also, I assume you have just started running regularly (you said something about weight loss), your body (especially legs) needs to adapt to the exercise.

If you run too much you might get http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints or other nasty injuries.

Give your legs some rest and do some other kinds of exercise if you feel you "must" do something. Maybe some kettlebell stuff if you don't go (or don't want to go) to a gym?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.