Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Well, I think the point is going to be that the father *is* actually hearing the Departures. I feel a very supernatural turn coming. Somehow this family is different? The father seems to suggest that the people who can forget, stay sane, but the people who remember end up going insane, or joining the GR, or things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Well, I think the point is going to be that the father *is* actually hearing the Departures. I feel a very supernatural turn coming. Somehow this family is different? The father seems to suggest that the people who can forget, stay sane, but the people who remember end up going insane, or joining the GR, or things like that.
    Yeah idk, it seems to me though that Garvey Sr. has been in the hospital since before the departures.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seen the first few episodes and like it. I honestly don't think we will get much of an answer with all the mysteries going on. The departure was probably one huge Macguffin. Also the series is based on a book with the same name.
    Black Lives Matter

So, this show had its season finale this past week. Strong episode, and fucking epic music as always. That instrumental Metallica with the "Nothing Else Matters" was fucking amazing.

As for the theme of the show, I'm starting to really dig it. It's about loss and attachment and wanting to forget, and I think it's one of the fucking sleeper hits of the year.

But, as we all know, good TV doesn't always survive. The Newsroom was cancelled, and the lack of discussion of this show makes me despair for its future as well, whereas shows like The Strain will continue for 6 seasons and a movie because vampires. It makes me angry just thinking about it.

Deleted
    Is it just me or is this show really boring and depressing? Truth be told, I think this is the only show I actually wished to get cancelled. Sure I could stop watching it but once I start something I want to finish it..

On another note, those fanatics in white are really irritating and annoying. If they were real, I'd just ignore them if they refuse to speak instead of playing along.. and why don't they arrest them for breaking into peoples houses? Thats a pretty serious crime I think and doesn't just warrant a slap on the wrist and a night in jail if they're unlucky.

- - - Updated - - -

That instrumental Metallica with the "Nothing Else Matters" was fucking amazing.
    I thought it was the chanting Gregorian monks song, what were they called again? Didn't even know it was based on another song.

That instrumental Metallica with the "Nothing Else Matters" was fucking amazing.

Shit is old school, but I agree. Now you can enjoy the original.

Don't worry about it being cancelled yet, it was already renewed for a second season like a month ago.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-09-09 at 04:22 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Is it just me or is this show really boring and depressing? Truth be told, I think this is the only show I actually wished to get cancelled. Sure I could stop watching it but once I start something I want to finish it..

This is why I fear for shows like this. It has in-depth character development and genuine drama, and even genuine emotion for given characters, and people find that boring if there's not massive action sequences. It's not an action show. It's more internally centered. There's no smoke monster.

Deleted
    This is why I fear for shows like this. It has in-depth character development and genuine drama, and even genuine emotion for given characters, and people find that boring if there's not massive action sequences. It's not an action show. It's more internally centered. There's no smoke monster.
    It's not that, I actually prefer slow shows and character development over action. This show is just boring, maybe it's because it's depressing or maybe it's the same line every time.. someone lost their family members and how sad and self destructive they are now. There is no mystery, almost nothing about that "Rapture" event except that it happened and made a bunch of people really sad and suicidal. Even that black guy, whats hes face with the rapey vibe turned out to be a fraud.
    It got one thing right though, those Guilty Remnant people:P I actually hate them more than Joffrey from GoT and thats saying something ..

I thought that was one of the mysteries? Wayne doesn't know himself if he's some instrument of God, and he asks Kevin to make a wish, and he suddenly smiles and says his wish is granted. From the scene before, you know Kevin really just wanted his whole family to be together after the Departure....and as the viewer we know that Wayne knew his son Tom, AND his new girlfriend. The end of the episode is all of his family (including his new girlfriend and his pseudo-grandchild) converging towards the same place in spite of everything. Lori talks for the first time in this episode, and seeing her daughter in the GR house kind of affected her to snap out of it, so much so that she spoke to save her.

Plus, Eccleston's character is amazing. I love him so much.

HBO renewed The Leftovers for a second season

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Deleted
    I finished the first season today after I've seen the review on ign. All in all, I really loved it because of strong actor performances and interesting Lost-like plot.

The following text contains major spoilers of the show, so please beware.

However, I can also understand why people may not like this show. First of all, we don't know if we ever get all the answers and this might be particularly difficult for people who didn't like Lost's ending. Then, I think there is a small line between interesting and annoying stories about religious beliefs. I really hated the Guilty Remnants and never felt any sympathy for them. Because of their passive aggressive ways (besides Gladys' murder by Patti) and their general provoking behavior, I just wanted to see them suffer even though we saw for example why Laurie lost her hope after her unborn baby "disappeared". I don't think that the Guilty Remnants are directly tied to the events, I just think the GR are one of many cults where crazy people, who were before the catastrophe already lamenting about the end of the world, can live with other lunatics.

Here my thoughts on the finale and future season 2: For me, it was totally unexpected that Tommy did not go to his dad and instead just left the baby on his porch (yeah he knows that Kevin is/was responsible enough to take care of a child but he could say at least hello?). I am curious if we ever get more information about Holy Wayne and if there is indeed something special with the baby. I am also excited about Kevin's mental state and if the GR will leave the town. I thought it was sad that they only show small pieces of the riot in the finale and wonder if the GR did the same in other cities. Finally, I thought women in general and especially in the GR were badly portrayed in the show except for Meg. I know it is kind of a trend nowadays to spotlight women as evil but it would have been nice to see someone else play the asshole no one roots for

and i hope they cry less... I generally don't mind if people cry for a reason and these are hard, dire times for the characters but jesus... that was a lot of Spiderman 3 crying in the last episodes.
    Last edited by mmoc1a1ea076c3; 2014-09-21 at 07:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapathy View Post
    HBO renewed The Leftovers for a second season
    God darn it! Wish they had renewed some other shows instead

ok - so it looks like this won't start back up again until early October, although I was hoping this would start up right after True Detective ended. By the looks of it, they're all picking up and leaving home for Texas? Wow... did NOT see that coming. Just wanted to get people talking again.. I certainly hope that there is a bigger interest in this show, it was definitely one of my favorites in 2014. Looking forward to seeing Scott Glenn again, that dude is such a bad ass (IRL as well as in some of his roles).

S2 started this past Sunday.

I can't tell if Damon Lindelof is a genius or a fucking nutjob.

I had literally 0 idea what the fuck is going on in the first episode, and all the main characters from s1 basically had minor cameos in the first episode as it introduces a new one. And shit, the new characters are creepy as shit. The whole town is creepy.

Music is still great, atmosphere is still great, don't like the new theme song though.

S2 started this past Sunday.

I can't tell if Damon Lindelof is a genius or a fucking nutjob.

I had literally 0 idea what the fuck is going on in the first episode, and all the main characters from s1 basically had minor cameos in the first episode as it introduces a new one. And shit, the new characters are creepy as shit. The whole town is creepy.

Music is still great, atmosphere is still great, don't like the new theme song though.
    That opening... Jesus.

I'm so glad this show is back. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, knowing it was a whole new setting and such, but I'm in. Poor Eddie Winslow. That was pretty cold. I don't like that new father character but that actor plays him well. The look on his face when Matt took the stage, and the way he patronized Matt's wife. What a prick. I look forward to seeing his and Kevin's relationship develop this season. You know it's going to get ugly.

Yeah, like I don't even know what the opening scene is supposed to be about. Is it somehow indicative of a mystery stretching back that far?

What about Kevin's son, and wife, still in the old town? So many questions. And next week seems like it takes place...before the first episode?

I liked that opening. It's odd and its meaning is still a mystery, but it set the tone and mood of the season, if not the show itself--especially when that main theme started playing toward the end. It gave me chills. In a good way.

Tonight's episode looks like it will cover what happens with the Garvey household before AND during last week's episode (and possibly after).

I haven't seen Tom (the son) or Laurie (the ex-wife) in any promos but I really hope they return. If they do come back, I'd rather not know about it until the show wants me to. I like surprises.

However, I have seen Liv Tyler. Heck, she's in the new opening credits sequence (which I love btw). The song caught me offguard the first time around. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. It's a drastic change from last season's haunting theme, but after a few repeat listens I rather enjoy it. I don't know if it's an original song or an existing one, but it sounds like its written from someone in that world.

Episode 2 did not disappoint. So much happened, it was hard to believe it was only an hour.

That Pixies montage... I can't get that song out of my head now. One of the best uses for that song in media I've seen so far. That look on Kevin's face as he's walking out of the police station, I couldn't help but wonder if that was his "wish" from last season being granted. Regardless, Patty still won. He will NEVER FORGET her.

That last scene, though. And the cinder block. Hahaha. Kevin's such a fucking mess.

I love how they're all being honest with each other now (save for Jill's secret re: Lily). I just wish Kevin would go all in, and trust Nora with the full truth about Patty. Still, I was surprised he told her and Jill as much as he did, so that's a huge start.
    Last edited by mber341; 2015-10-15 at 07:16 PM.

This show just fucks with my mind. That last scene, he wakes up, WITH A CINDERBLOCK AROUND HIS ANKLES, in a dried up creek bed? He didn't feel the earthquake? WHAT THE LITERAL FUCK IS HAPPENING IN THIS SHOW.

I swear, if Lindelof just leaves these things unanswered like LOST, I will be sorely disappointed.

That said, the music and the way it's used in this series is amazing beyond belief. Like, the songs (like the Pixies one you mentioned) are thematically perfect, but the instrumentals...man. That crescendo when the adoption goes through and Nora is so happy and Kevin has this almost blank, worried look on his face....the music is just so evocative.

I also like how the Patty vision got all meta and was like, "It's hard to tell if they're part of your story, or if you're part of theirs." And I like the little tie-ins for how much things are interconnected - black neighbor dude for some reason burns down other guy's house - oh, that's the house Nora and Kevin were going to rent in this episode, instead they end up buying one for 3 million dollars.....

....and the last thing. Finally, an answer? Is it really a "matter of geography"? If Nora had been sitting at the table, would she have departed too? Wow. Wasn't Kevin having an affair with someone who departed while they were having sex? How does that work.

I figured the theory was bull, since Kevin was the first person I thought of, just like you mentioned. He couldn't have been any more closer (or inside of) his departed. Scientists just testing theories and spending grant money on any attempt to understand WTF happened 4 years ago, more than likely.

Kevin's guilt about Patty is making him suicidal. First, he tries to turn himself in. That doesn't work. Then "she" starts beating on him in their new kitchen, and tops it all off by tossing him in a lake with a cinder block tied to his leg while he's "asleep." That dude's got issues...

I agree with you about the score. Fell in love with it last season. I'm so glad they finally officially released it. Max Richter is a genius.

I'm really enjoying season 2 so far. The third episode was pretty cool as well.
    Last edited by mber341; 2015-10-20 at 04:49 AM.